What's new

Muhle v. Merkur Open-Comb Heads

Are you weighing only the handles? I just weighed mine and the Muhle is 1.85oz/51g and the EJ 89L is 2.55oz/72g. Thats the entire razor with no blade in either.

Are you weighing only the handles? I just weighed mine and the Muhle is 1.85oz/51g and the EJ 89L is 2.55oz/72g. Thats the entire razor with no blade in either.

Yes, I weighed just the handles.

On my scale the Mühle is .8oz (22.67 grams) and the Jagger 1.6oz (45.35 grams).

With the head:

R41 head on Jagger handle 2.3oz (65.20 grams).

R41 head on Mühle handle 1.7oz (48.19 grams).

Last edited:
I weighed the Mühle R41 handle and it tips the scales at 22.6 grams.

I also weighed the EJDE89L handle and it weighs 45.3 grams.

The R41 head on the Jagger handle has nice balance and feels great in the hand.

I will shave with it tomorrow.

+1 I love the DE89L handle and I prefer it over the Mühle handle, but I think in the case of the R41 head it balances better with its original handle because the head itself is so lightweight. For the R89 head, the EJ handle is a perfect match.

In this case, is weight all it's cracked up to be? I might have thought so. But recently I tried a Gillette Old Type (hollow, large ball-end handle). Probably the lightest DE razor I've ever used, and undoubtedly the closest shave I ever got. I'm not sure I'd want a particularly heavy open-comb razor. But I'd acquiesce to the broader experience of those in this tread.

No, it's the Merkur that is inferior. The Muhle is spotless.

I respectfully disagree..

I had an old style R89 and the finish couldn't stand up to the finish on ANY other razor I have seen. The head had manufacturing marks in the side and the handle was poorly finished. It shaved decent, but every one of my Gillette's, Hoffritz and Merkur's sport better craftsmanship and finishing. Maybe the R41 and/or the new style are a different animal...

I respectfully disagree..

I had an old style R89 ...

The old and the new Mühles are totally different in quality. The new ones are spotless and superior in craftmanship to the Merkurs. And not just by a little.

Now I happen to own an old R89 as well and the casting is a little rougher but the plating is still on a higher level as any of my Merkurs. Actually the plating on most of my (3rd world and vintage included) razors beat the recent Merkurs. And because the plating is poor and the base material can't cope with water because of the zinc I doubt many Merkurs of today will ever become sought after vintage items.

I had an old style R89 and the finish couldn't stand up to the finish on ANY other razor I have seen. The head had manufacturing marks in the side and the handle was poorly finished. It shaved decent, but every one of my Gillette's, Hoffritz and Merkur's sport better craftsmanship and finishing. Maybe the R41 and/or the new style are a different animal...

What you said is true... about the old style Mühle razors. I own an old style R89 open comb and it was made by Fatip for Mühle. The new style R89 and R41 are made by Mühle and are spotless. Together with the EJ razors I have not seen such perfect finish on any razors I held in my hand. Do not let the old style Mühle razors fool you and prevent you from trying any of their new ones.

Top Bottom