What's new

Motorcycles

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I hit a deer about 15 years ago. I was going about 55 mph. It actually hit me, then I ran over it with the back tire. I kept it on two wheels and had minimal damage. It was quite exciting.
A guy hit a deer about a stone's throw from my driveway years ago. Said a big doe jumped in front of him and he closed his eyes! He knew he was dead.

Said he just plain ran it over! But he got it with both wheels, lol.

Said he saw it get up off the road and kept running.

Those long legged rats kill a few bikers every year I imagine in Michigan. I'm done with speed and stupidity, lol. I am blessed to be alive and a Ruckus will go plenty fast for my needs.

At the risk of walking into a joke, what is a monkey? And no, I have no nephews that go by that name!

A guy hit a deer about a stone's throw from my driveway years ago. Said a big doe jumped in front of him and he closed his eyes! He knew he was dead.

Said he just plain ran it over! But he got it with both wheels, lol.

Said he saw it get up off the road and kept running.

Those long legged rats kill a few bikers every year I imagine in Michigan. I'm done with speed and stupidity, lol. I am blessed to be alive and a Ruckus will go plenty fast for my needs.

At the risk of walking into a joke, what is a monkey? And no, I have no nephews that go by that name!
I stopped riding when I got run off the road on the highway. I couldn't remember flipping over the handlebars when I went down as it happened so fast. I just remembered the thud I made on the grass and was thankful it wasn't pavement. Rode a little afterwards, as I am a "get back up on the horse" kind of guy, but just couldn't get comfortable with riding again. Sad, because the Vulcan 1600 I had was super comfortable with the mustang seat.

FarmerTan

I stopped riding when I got run off the road on the highway. I couldn't remember flipping over the handlebars when I went down as it happened so fast. I just remembered the thud I made on the grass and was thankful it wasn't pavement. Rode a little afterwards, as I am a "get back up on the horse" kind of guy, but just couldn't get comfortable with riding again. Sad, because the Vulcan 1600 I had was super comfortable with the mustang seat.
Good to hear that you listened to the small, still voice my friend. Both of my cousins were actually warned in dreams to sell their huge bikes, and never looked back.

I was thrown from horses several times growing up, one fairly seriously. Not fun, but I rode for years after, which may explain my love of Arko?

I had an unforgettable patient from my skool days that was injured in a motorcycle accident. I never rode a real motorcycle after that, at least on the road.

I'm probably pushing my luck with a Ruckus, but it will most likely only really be 3 miles away from the homestead here.

My lovely best friend and I used to ride mopeds together when we first married, just around town. Ha, perhaps I'm trying to recapture my Glory Days?!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just sold my last bike (last year) after 50 years of riding. I've owned quite a few, most recently a Yamaha Bolt. Before that: HD Street Glide, HD Fatboy, HD Sportster, Kawasaki 900 Eliminator, and others going back to a 1974 Honda 750.

Last year, a deer ran into my SUV one night. Wiped out the entire side of my vehicle - nearly $7000 in sheet metal and paint - and I never even saw the deer. It jumped into my front fender and bounced down the driver's side.

Being 64, I figured that I had a pretty good run, being able to avoid an accident on my bikes for 50 years, but I couldn't get past the idea of hitting a deer on my bike - and sold it. Now a days I can be spotted with my wife and doggie on our ATV.
I'm 65 and I have a problem with my right hip and can't hold up the weight anymore.
I wasn't ready to give up riding quite yet, so I got one of these.
Great ride!

original.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The only problem with the trike geometry is that you hit every pothole in the road no matter where it is.

Old Harley rider here. Still have a 1957 Hydra Glide that needs partial restoration

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Deteriorating arthritis in the spine isn't a good mix with a hardtail. The old bike's a 1989 Harley Sportster with mods, in a hardtail frame, and about a million miles on it, seems like. Four speed, chain drive; I earned two Ironbutt certificates on it. When I did the BunBurner 1500 I went the whole way with a wrench stuck in my back pocket (from last minute tightening a loose mirror) and never felt it. Mrs. Hippie laughed herself into a fit over that one.

Also because it was on the Great Plains I did the whole loop with essentially four left turns. One every 400 miles.

O.H.

Just sold my last bike (last year) after 50 years of riding. I've owned quite a few, most recently a Yamaha Bolt. Before that: HD Street Glide, HD Fatboy, HD Sportster, Kawasaki 900 Eliminator, and others going back to a 1974 Honda 750.

Last year, a deer ran into my SUV one night. Wiped out the entire side of my vehicle - nearly $7000 in sheet metal and paint - and I never even saw the deer. It jumped into my front fender and bounced down the driver's side.

Being 64, I figured that I had a pretty good run, being able to avoid an accident on my bikes for 50 years, but I couldn't get past the idea of hitting a deer on my bike - and sold it. Now a days I can be spotted with my wife and doggie on our ATV.

Lucky man. Some have not survived deer collisions including cagers.

There was a photo going around about 20 years ago. Seems a mountain lion tried to attack a motorcyclist and mistimed the jump. The mountain lion was sheared into halves.

I was run off the road once but didn't quit, even with the close calls. What did me in was going for gas one evening and got delayed. There was some big accident nearby, sirens, etc. Got home and Mrs. Ctr came out in tears. She thought I was in the accident. Never want to see that look on her face again. Listed the bike for sale the very next day.

My dad had a pretty horrific motorcycle accident when I was about 5 years old. He had to have some plastic surgery to help repair his face. He never rode a bike on the street again. With that said, I still had mini bikes and dirt bikes from the time I was about 8 until I got my driver's license. I bought my first street bike when I was about 20 and have owned at least one continuously ever since. Not once has my dad lectured me in the past 35 years on the dangers of motorcycles....It probably wouldn't have done any good. I pretty much do what I want. I have done a lot of dangerous things, but with precautions...lol...The last thing I want is to be sitting in a nursing home filled with regret of the things I wish I had done.

Good to hear that you listened to the small, still voice my friend. Both of my cousins were actually warned in dreams to sell their huge bikes, and never looked back.

I was thrown from horses several times growing up, one fairly seriously. Not fun, but I rode for years after, which may explain my love of Arko?

I had an unforgettable patient from my skool days that was injured in a motorcycle accident. I never rode a real motorcycle after that, at least on the road.

I'm probably pushing my luck with a Ruckus, but it will most likely only really be 3 miles away from the homestead here.

My lovely best friend and I used to ride mopeds together when we first married, just around town. Ha, perhaps I'm trying to recapture my Glory Days?!
To be honest, I am not ready to give up on riding on a permanent basis. I'm still up for the potential of riding when I move to Georgia. Might not, but who knows? I do know that I won't ride up here. Too many crazy people on the road here.

Reactions: ctr

FarmerTan

To be honest, I am not ready to give up on riding on a permanent basis. I'm still up for the potential of riding when I move to Georgia. Might not, but who knows? I do know that I won't ride up here. Too many crazy people on the road here.
I think Michigan may be second only to your state in that regard my friend. If I wanted to I could be in a vehicular accident everyday.

Reactions: ctr
20210916_180932.jpg
I have an '09 V Star 1300t and I love it. It'll work for commuting, I can throw lunch in one saddlebag with my work pants and shoes in the other. But it excells at getting me away from the city and out into great riding country. Big enough that I can take a red (or blue) haired lady for a ride to her favorite winery (or past a few friends' houses). Or to take a week and explore New England in the fall.
30200576435503.jpeg
That's my oldest daughter, 14, in the pic on her very first ride. She's been playing Backseat Motorcycle Count with her siblings from birth on car rides. My thought was she'd be more likely to be a driver noticing, if not looking for, motorcycles on the road. But instead, with help from my father, I inadvertently led her to falling in love with them.

Top Bottom