What's new

Most Expensive Shaving Brush?

Most expensive "regularly available brushes are the Plissons #20 in HMW with a genuine horn handle. Price tag may go up to $700,- $800,-
Then there are indeed vintage genuine ivory Simpsons which may fetch up to $2500,- when in perfect condition; i held five of them in my hands in june this year somewhere in Europe...:wink: The seller had priced them but wouldn't sell them on second thought....at least, not for the time being....i've patience...those were the most stunning shaving brushes i came across ever...

DrP, I beg you to show us pics. You know the ones. Maybe of that ivory Simpsons...? Man I love that brush.

Most expensive "regularly available brushes are the Plissons #20 in HMW with a genuine horn handle. Price tag may go up to $700,- $800,-
Then there are indeed vintage genuine ivory Simpsons which may fetch up to $2500,- when in perfect condition; i held five of them in my hands in june this year somewhere in Europe...:wink: The seller had priced them but wouldn't sell them on second thought....at least, not for the time being....i've patience...those were the most stunning shaving brushes i came across ever...

:lol: He probably thought you were bluffing. I can see it now just before he gulped hard

Seller: "That one in your hand...$2500"

drP (as you coolly pull out a wad of cash): "No, I mean for all five!"

DrP, I beg you to show us pics. You know the ones. Maybe of that ivory Simpsons...? Man I love that brush.

Well, okay then...:

Measures: 13,5 cm total height, 7,5 cm handle height, 6 cm loft height, 28 mm knot diameter.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Personally, I delight in finding cost-effective quality goods -- above mediocrity, into that sometimes hard-to-define realm of more than good enough.

Could be food, drink, musical instruments, clothing, sound equipment, kitchen wares ... or even shaving brushes.

I've not seen any brush prices above $400 -- and frankly have a difficult time considering brushes costing half of that as justifiable, even if you've money to burn.

For me, the fun is educating yourself in a particular area so that you can understand, appreciate and enjoy what you're getting for your money.

+1
I feel the same way about finding good deals.

I bought a Polish-made best badger brush for about $10 and it works great! It was sent to me straight from the factory but the retail price is not much higher.

Opens up the discussion as to true value for what you're getting, say $5000 and worth it if it can be afforded, because of who makes it, materials used and what kind of hair it's made of.

+1

I've never equated a high price tag as indicative of high quality. Just because any object costs 10 times more than a similar item, doesn't make it 10 times better.

You can't BUY Quality ... you have to Grow into it.

View attachment 35607

i think this one went for just under $600

it's one of a kind mammouth ivory

Hey, my brush!
I was the lucky buyer of this one, still have it. For the record it was a bit < $400 and proceeds went to charity for Great Ormond Street Hospital so for a good cause.
You're correct, it's mammoth ivory. A beautiful brush, a bit too small for my daily use but I like it as part of my collection :smile:

I've got a pretty amazing Genuine Mother of Pearl shaving brush that i'd have to imagine is the most valuable in my collection.

Top Bottom