What's new

Most Expensive Shaving Brush?

Gents, I am wondering what is the most expensive brush out there? I have seen some that are over $500 and have heard talk of those over $700. Have you seen any that would top those prices and what would those be? Thanks--Just a curious question.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, I suppose you could get a diamond-encrusted, rock-from-Mars-handled, wild Matterhorn uber-white super-silvertip brush hand knotted by the Virgin Mary herself for quite a hefty sum.

In terms of non-custom brushes in general production today, the Plisson HMW in real horn seems to have the reputation of being the ne-plus-ultra of brush expense, per mm of knot width.

Well, I suppose you could get a diamond-encrusted, rock-from-Mars-handled, wild Matterhorn uber-white super-silvertip brush hand knotted by the Virgin Mary herself for quite a hefty sum.

In terms of non-custom brushes in general production today, the Plisson HMW in real horn seems to have the reputation of being the ne-plus-ultra of brush expense, per mm of knot width.

Dang Ian, I didn't know it was you that got that brush...Nice!!!

Someone mentioned a brush from the Art of Shaving not long ago that went for $1200. Many don't believe it's worth that.

Opens up the discussion as to true value for what you're getting, say $5000 and worth it if it can be afforded, because of who makes it, materials used and what kind of hair it's made of.

Has anyone ever browsed through the pages of 'The Rob Report'?, it's a magazine for the ultra-rich, it amounts to a catalog of the best stuff and most expensive (most often not necessarily the same) stuff you can find around the world and you could, if you have the dough, go and find it. $3000 pens, $15,000 bottles of wine, etc.

Personally, I delight in finding cost-effective quality goods -- above mediocrity, into that sometimes hard-to-define realm of more than good enough.

Could be food, drink, musical instruments, clothing, sound equipment, kitchen wares ... or even shaving brushes.

I've not seen any brush prices above $400 -- and frankly have a difficult time considering brushes costing half of that as justifiable, even if you've money to burn.

For me, the fun is educating yourself in a particular area so that you can understand, appreciate and enjoy what you're getting for your money.

There are some old, pre-embargo Ivory Simpsons that sell in the range of $1600~$1800. While usable, they end up with collectors. DrP should chime in here.

-- John Gehman

Has anyone ever browsed through the pages of 'The Rob Report'?, it's a magazine for the ultra-rich, it amounts to a catalog of the best stuff and most expensive (most often not necessarily the same) stuff you can find around the world and you could, if you have the dough, go and find it. $3000 pens, $15,000 bottles of wine, etc.
Actually, the Robb Report is pretty cheap, and a fun read. :wink:

Purple Label Ralph Lauren Silver Badger Shaving Brush

This item on eBay allegedly retails for $795.00.

It would appear to be a bargain with a $275.00 bin price

Actually, the Robb Report is pretty cheap, and a fun read. :wink:

:w00t::lol:. Actually, I meant the stuff mentioned inside. Although some of the items they 'report' on are one of, most are off the shelf things you can go find and buy. Although, these are off the shelf for East Hampton residents and those that can afford their own island.

The magazine itself is pretty cheap. :001_smile

There were some ivory handled Simpson's brushes that were sold for $700+ a few years back. Apart from that the Pollaro Elegance has always been up with the nosebleeds when it comes to pricing. A $549 handle with a $1 knot, unfortunately, still, I've come close to pulling the trigger on the cocobolo once or twice.

Ignoring brushes that are jewel-encrusted or made with ivory, etc., the most expensive standard brushes are probably the Plisson HMWs.

The largest size Plisson HMW is over $800, and the handle is just plexiglass.

Most expensive "regularly available brushes are the Plissons #20 in HMW with a genuine horn handle. Price tag may go up to $700,- $800,-
Then there are indeed vintage genuine ivory Simpsons which may fetch up to $2500,- when in perfect condition; i held five of them in my hands in june this year somewhere in Europe...:wink: The seller had priced them but wouldn't sell them on second thought....at least, not for the time being....i've patience...those were the most stunning shaving brushes i came across ever...

Top Bottom