What's new

Monthly photo contest: "Abandoned Buildings"

Greetings, dear photographers. I want to offer you an interesting, in my opinion, topic for the contest. Let it be photos of abandoned buildings. You can post photos of inactive shopping malls, factories, entertainment complexes, cinemas, residential buildings. And since September has already begun, photos will be accepted until October 20.

Last edited:
дом культуры correct? It seems pretty grand, but familiar from those that I have seen. The last picture is especially nice.

дом культуры correct? It seems pretty grand, but familiar from those that I have seen. The last picture is especially nice.
Oh yeah. In the Soviet Union, these were majestic buildings. With columns near the entrance and with rich decoration inside. As a rule, they were maintained by large industrial enterprises. But after the collapse of the Soviet Union, hard times came and not everyone had enough money to support them. However, there are palaces of culture that have been renovated. And they still work in the same format. If you are interested, I can photograph a few of these buildings a little later

If you are interested, I can photograph a few of these buildings a little later
I didn't want to get your photo contest too off track, just provide some context for English speakers. I guess you would write this as something like Dom Kultura or cultural centre. I have seen a lot of these in video, both renovated and in the state photographed above. Now that I think about it, the closest thing we have in the the US is called a Grange Hall. It is used for community events like dances, but not grand in any way.

I didn't want to get your photo contest too off track, just provide some context for English speakers. I guess you would write this as something like Dom Kultura or cultural centre. I have seen a lot of these in video, both renovated and in the state photographed above. Now that I think about it, the closest thing we have in the the US is called a Grange Hall. It is used for community events like dances, but not grand in any way.
Usually in Soviet houses of culture there was a large cinema, as well as many interest groups: chess, dancing, drawing, aircraft modeling and others. By the way, the club I photographed belonged to a factory that is still operating. Roofing materials are produced on it.

Not abandoned, supposedly to be renovated/redeveloped, but no progress in years.

IMG_3446.jpeg

I shopped here years ago. It was 'Gordon's Fireplace Shop' with a small selection of fireplace accessories at the west end. Stretching to the east there were long, echoing, and dilapidated corridors lined with new grandfather clocks for sale.

Ironically, there are three successful modern apartment buildings (with ground floor retail) just to the west. The architect based the exterior design motifs on the old building, which had not yet been trashed and covered with graffiti.

IMG_3447.jpeg

This is one of the many cinemas built in my city during the Soviet Union. But after its collapse, almost all cinemas were closed. Many have been rebuilt for shopping malls, clubs. Some were demolished. But some are still standing in an abandoned form. These photos were taken in August 2021. Preserved entrance doors are visible here. I even photographed the interior through the window with the remnants of the film lying on the floor.

And this photo was taken today. The door and window openings were bricked up. And it is unknown what will happen next with this building.

I decided to show these photos here. In my city there are many wooden houses built in the 19th century. Unfortunately, they are being destroyed. Developers are breaking them down in order to build multi-storey blocks on this place. But there are enthusiasts who manage to get doors, windows and other parts that did not have time to take out to the landfill. On one wall I saw an installation of these details.

Hello everyone. Please vote for the photos you liked. I don't know the voting conditions yet, as this is my first contest on your forum. But I will be glad of any of your assessments.

Top Bottom