What's new

Moleskine notebooks

I always carry a Moleskine and am impressed with it, paper quailiy is OK (not great) and used to write in it with my Rotring 600 fountain pen, had to stop because i was getting some bleed thru with the broad nib (Rotrings seem to be "wet" writers. I now use any decent pen that takes Fischer Space refills, great colours and WIDE ballpoints

HTH

FYI Barnes & Nobles, stores and online, is having a 20% off sale on Moleskine products (plus an extra 10% off for members).

http://books.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=moleskine&box=moleskine&***=-1

I use their volant minis; I pop one in each of my suit and jacket pockets. I keep a reporter notebook in my brief bag.

I also use their travel "City Notebooks". I transcribe notes, discoveries, and other info about those cities from my various logs, journals, acquaintances and memories and gift them to people who'll travel there; I look like a hero.

FYI Barnes & Nobles, stores and online, is having a 20% off sale on Moleskine products (plus an extra 10% off for members).

http://books.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=moleskine&box=moleskine&***=-1

I use their volant minis; I pop one in each of my suit and jacket pockets. I keep a reporter notebook in my brief bag.

I also use their travel "City Notebooks". I transcribe notes, discoveries, and other info about those cities from my various logs, journals, acquaintances and memories and gift them to people who'll travel there; I look like a hero.

Do you know how long the sale lasts?

Hate to be a decenter but Moleskine paper can be a bit inconsistent.
This may not matter with many writing instruments but with fountain pens, this matters quite a bit in terms of feathering and bleedthrough.

One option to look into is Exacompta line of notebooks/journals

Moleskinne are pricy, bleed through, and if used daily the binding may well break.

Go to Barnes and Noble or Borders and look at their selection of plain journals.

Both of these I find superior to moleskine paper which is mediocre I use mostly fountain pen with them.

Thanks
Jim

I carry a pocket ruled Moleskine on me at all times. I have implemented a few Moleskine hacks, so I have a day-to-day calender, and the space left over for journaling and such. I also use it for to-do lists and ideas I get while I'm out and about.

I like the binding a lot. It feels pretty high quality. The big issue I've had thus far is that when I write in it and close it, sometimes the ink bleeds onto the opposite page, making things look a little messy (which REALLY bothers me). It's not completely to blame, though: I use rollerball pens, and I probably don't give the ink enough time to dry.

Oh, and since it's hard cover and in my pocket, it sort of molds to your body, so the book gets a little mis-shapened. A little elbow grease usually fixes it though.

Rhodia and Fieldnotes are my recommendations.

I find my fountain pen inks do not bleed through these products.

I use the Hero Parker 51 knock-offs and a Namiki vanishing point F nib as my writing instruments.

Cheers!

http://blackcover.net/
"This blog is dedicated to the search for the perfect little black notebook." I spent quite a bit of time on this site before I decided on thinner, usually stapled pocket notebooks. If you like those too, try Doane Paper utility notebooks and Field Notes. Those are the two I use most.

EDIT: Argh! I wrote my post before I realized you weren't looking for a pocket notebook. I'll leave it up anyway, because this information might be useful to others.

Wow. What a great blog. I love notebooks, I might get one of the cartesios. Thanks for posting this.

s.

You might also want to look into a notebook/system called rolla or rollabind. It functions like a spiral wire bound notebook, except the individual pages can be taken out and rearranged as you please. You can also purchase a punch ($!) and discs to construct your own notebook, so you could intersperse some printed text or otherwise external material into the flow of the notebook.

I bought a hardback 8.5x11'' notebook from Staples about a year ago. I originally bought it because the cover was stiff and little oversized so I could stuff printouts inside and carry it around easily without bending the edges of the paper. :smile: It held up well and the flexibility to move pages was and added bonus. I just bought my second one this week, though staples only had a faux leather version to choose from. :mad3:

I horde them.
I am far worse about Moleskine notebooks than most of us are about soaps, blades, after shaves, or anything else.
I am hopeless.
I have cahiers, soft cover, hard cover, black, red, tan--all sizes. I keep a better stock of them (literally) than many stores that sell them. (I won't even go across the room and count them; it's embarrassing.)

Friends sometimes find new Moleskine notebooks in birthday cards or what not, but then I go out and buy more than I actually use.

My next job will definitely need to be located where I can't get to a Barnes & Noble on my lunch break. :blush:

I have tried both Moleskine and Rhodia. I prefer the Rhodia paper much more than the Moleskine. Claifontaine, Exacompta and Rhodia are all available from Pear Tree Pens. The nice fellow used to be/may still be a member here:
http://www.peartreepens.com/Journals-Pads-Paper-s/6.htm

Although I have many Moleskines, I have to agree the Rhodia paper is superior. I also like the engineering feel and design of their their notebooks. Fine products.

I horde them.
I am far worse about Moleskine notebooks than most of us are about soaps, blades, after shaves, or anything else.
I am hopeless.
I have cahiers, soft cover, hard cover, black, red, tan--all sizes. I keep a better stock of them (literally) than many stores that sell them. (I won't even go across the room and count them; it's embarrassing.)

Friends sometimes find new Moleskine notebooks in birthday cards or what not, but then I go out and buy more than I actually use.

My next job will definitely need to be located where I can't get to a Barnes & Noble on my lunch break. :blush:

Thank you. I now know I'm not the only one.....

Oh well, the paper is not very thick on Moleskines...i would choose Rhodia or Clairefontaine.

And i would prefer some ethical advertisement too about their history: Hemingway, Chatwin and so on...never had Moleskines. At the time, several manufacturers had their own booknotes, under their own brands or even blank/no logo booknote.They were made and customized to their own clients in workshops at the back of the store, hand sewn. Some stores in Paris, London or NY have them for a very few and lucky customers. It was a luxury object on a time when just some people could write and read...

That said, the little leaflet you read on each booknote is just propaganda...or desinformation.:frown: Trying to find some lettres de noblesse where they didn't exist or forcing a non-existing fact.Dark side of marketing?

Top Bottom