What's new

Moisture and Liquid while smoking

How do you guys deal with moisture build-up in the bottom of the bowl and stem while smoking? I can't stand it when I get some of that liquid in my mouth. I know some pipe brands (Petersons?) have a 'recess' in the stem to collect this moisture and others use different types of filters which will absorb the moisture. But what about pipes that don't accept filters?

Thanks guys.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Run a pipe cleaner down through the stem when you start to get the gurgle, if your pipe is well drilled you should be able to get it all the way into the bowl. With certain pipes you need to put a slight bend in the pipe cleaner, feed it down through the stem, and when you feel it hit the bowl start twisting the cleaner while giving it a couple short back and forth motions to get it all the way through. However if you pipe as a full or 3/4 full bend in the stem it may not be possible.

Run a pipe cleaner down through the stem when you start to get the gurgle, if your pipe is well drilled you should be able to get it all the way into the bowl. With certain pipes you need to put a slight bend in the pipe cleaner, feed it down through the stem, and when you feel it hit the bowl start twisting the cleaner while giving it a couple short back and forth motions to get it all the way through. However if you pipe as a full or 3/4 full bend in the stem it may not be possible.

+100 the bent pipes take a bit more finagling but all mine will pass a cleaner except the system pipes but they don't need to. Also if your getting a lot of moisture try slowing down your smoking, and check your tobbacco isn't too moist. A pipe that hasn't rested sufficiently to thoroughly dry will not deal with moisture as it is intended. See which seems to apply most to your situation. I can smoke pretty wet myself especially when clenching, so the pipe cleaners are a real lifesaver.

Pipe cleaner, or if it's a straight-to-1/8 bent and you're outside then you can just give it a flick.

Also, smoke slower, which gives the wood more of a chance to absorb the moisture. And maybe let your tobacco dry out a bit more, a lot of guys keep their pipe tobacco way too moist.

I'll have to give the pipe cleaners a try. Being that I only smoke a pipe about once a month and live in Denver, my pipes should be dry. Along those same lines though, I'm not the best at determining how wet or dry my tobacco should be or how tight it should be packed. When I first started smoking a pipe I know I was packing it WAY too tight. I think I'm closer to where I should be now, but I may also need to slow down a bit and pull easier.

Thanks for the tips.

Pipe cleaners are the way to go. The accumulation of moisture occurs when you smoke. I get this occasionally, and I live in phoenix. Definately slow down a bit. Even if you pack and smoke right, certain pipes may have a tendancy to gurgle due to the drilling or other factors.

I agree with everything posted here. What tobacco(s) are you smoking? I generally have less humidity with flakes, plugs and twists than I do with ribbons. That may be related to the time it takes to prepare the tobacco allowing for some air drying. Although, I sometimes fold and stuff flakes and don't have moisture buildup. I think ribbons tend to burn hotter. YMMV.

Also, aromatics and heavily cased stuff tends to smoke damp for me. Slow down, try packing the bowl lighter, use a pipe cleaner, rotate your pipes if you have more than one, try a cob, try air drying the tobacco. Tapered bowls are more prone to moisture collection. Sometimes, at the first hint of a gurgle, I can gently blow into the pipe and that helps. Fill the bowl 1/2 or 3/4 full and smoke it all the way down to ash a few times. Carbon build up down there helps.

You are right about getting that juice in your mouth. It is rank.

I'll have to give the pipe cleaners a try. Being that I only smoke a pipe about once a month and live in Denver, my pipes should be dry. Along those same lines though, I'm not the best at determining how wet or dry my tobacco should be or how tight it should be packed. When I first started smoking a pipe I know I was packing it WAY too tight. I think I'm closer to where I should be now, but I may also need to slow down a bit and pull easier.

Thanks for the tips.
First of all, you MUST keep your pipe clean and use cleaners every time you smoke, after letting it cool down. I take mine apart every time too, once I saw the mess that lurked inside.
If you don't wander around with a pipe in your mouth, mending fences and stuff, then it shouldn't get too gurgly if
1. You're smoking good tobacco and using a good pipe
2. You've packed it right
3. you don't have overactive saliva glands
so....
A. What pipe you got? What you smoking? Is it satisfying enough? Do you puff like mad? Try something better and stronger.

www.tobaccoreviews.com

B. The hands-down best method of filing a pipe is The Frank Method- see below for the links
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Packing_and_Smoking_techniques#.22Packing.22_your_pipe
Hope this helps
Steve

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Peterson "System" Pipes are the ones with the moisture trap

Savinelli also has a "Dry System" which is a copy of the Peterson system and a Balsa System. The balsa system uses a 6mm balsa filter, but it's more of a moisture wick than a filter, the balsa system pipes also come with an adapter so that you can smoke without the balsa in it and it acts exactly like a non filter pipe.

Other European markers have pipes that take a 9mm filter, and I don't believe that these can be smoked well without the filter due to the wide open draw.

Pipe cleaner is the best. If the pipe cleaner doesn't work, try gently blowing into the stem and cover the bowl with your first two fingers (to avoid ashes in your eyes). I use this as a last resort and it usually works.

Top Bottom