DS Cosmetic brush
Noble Otter RAWR

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday 20240515
Modern May 2024
20240511_141133~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (Timeless Crown TRH8 Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (15 shaves, 30 passes and retired)
Brush: Wald A1 Nimbus Bloodline Synthetic Fan
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Tallow + Steel Hokkaido
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Hard to stop using The General V2. It's that good. A daily driver in all respects.

Superb shave!

Date16.05.2024
366 daily shaves
137/366

RazorBladeBrush
Karve CB OC-CGillette Minora (3)Abe’s Brush Works Blutt STF
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (3)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.75/10 (Almost clean)5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
9/10
(BBS)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Almost a copy of yesterday’s shave. Only this time with the Karve Christopher Bradley.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Modern May 2024

Razor: RazoRock BBS Standard HD (101)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (5)
Preshave: Hot Shower; Cereve Hydrating Facial Cleanser
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic 26mm Shaving Brush
Lather: Van der Hagen Luxury Scented Shaving Soap + Cremo Cooling
Aftershave: Cold water rinse;

No nicks; No irritation; Very Close; Very Smooth; Pleasant DFS+ shave.

Cheers!!!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Modern May

Last night’s cap-riding shave of awesomeness
Fatip Grande
Sharp Titanium (6)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky
Whipped Dog Butterscotch 30mm boar brush
Pre-shave: warm shower :001_wub:
Lather: ARKO!; face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Post-shave: Equate moisturizer

Decided to try again with my prettiest piggy brush. Read that piggies won’t eat lather if there’s enough water in the bristles prior to loading soap. Gave my brush a skosh of a squeeze, rubbed ARKO! on my whiskers, and was down with the slickness. Rich, hydrated lather that was just right. And then I dipped the tips of the brush in water out of habit and overly diluted everything…. Shave was still brilliant, though. Even though my AP ShaveCo G5C, G5A, and Titanium UHD knots are my top brushes, I would like to get this particular piggy to consistently work with ARKO!, so I may be on a kick here.
Also, Fatip Grande used with cap gliding on lather? :001_wub:

I’m thinking having “sensitive skin” is not the problem I initially imagined it to be. If accommodated, it aids in developing the technique needed for a close, comfortable shave. And sensitivities to fragrance components, when recognized, help save money and space that may have been wasted on superfluous soap splurges. Because, you know, most of us are into that sort of thing.

Thursday Modern May shave #8 rated 9/10 using:
  • Razor: Merkur 34C
  • Blade: Vintage Personna 74 (8)
  • Brush: Razorock 400 Silver Noir Plissoft
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema
  • Soap: Tallow-based Unilever “Monsavon au lait Bol à Raser”
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by Old Spice splash and Stirling Christmas Eve balm
PXL_20240516_121054578.jpg
But for all the extra work needed to get close enough, this shave with the Merkur 34C was really nice. The Personna 74 felt super smooth and I had absolutely zero irritation of any kind. It was almost as if I was just removing lather with an empty razor. I did have to work very hard after my typical two passes (WTG/ATG) to approach my desired BBS finish. I still fell slightly short at only BBS-. I'm expecting that my whiskers will "come back" much sooner than usual. You can't argue with the comfort and safety of the shave though.

I’ve always found the 34C to be extremely mild, and the reason was evident when I photographed the blade exposure and noted that it was substantially negative (LINK). It is almost impossible to hurt yourself with this razor. But, I also find it almost impossible to get a really close shave. Today was acceptably close, but it took a lot of effort.

I acquired this "milk soap" at a grocery store in Marseilles during a cruise in May of 2022. It is definitely a "mainstream" product, but it works quite competently. Nothing special, just gets the job done.

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

Thursday Modern May shave #8 rated 9/10 using:
  • Razor: Merkur 34C
  • Blade: Vintage Personna 74 (8)
  • Brush: Razorock 400 Silver Noir Plissoft
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema
  • Soap: Tallow-based Unilever “Monsavon au lait Bol à Raser”
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by Old Spice splash and Stirling Christmas Eve balm
View attachment 1847165But for all the extra work needed to get close enough, this shave with the Merkur 34C was really nice. The Personna 74 felt super smooth and I had absolutely zero irritation of any kind. It was almost as if I was just removing lather with an empty razor. I did have to work very hard after my typical two passes (WTG/ATG) to approach my desired BBS finish. I still fell slightly short at only BBS-. I'm expecting that my whiskers will "come back" much sooner than usual. You can't argue with the comfort and safety of the shave though.

I’ve always found the 34C to be extremely mild, and the reason was evident when I photographed the blade exposure and noted that it was substantially negative (LINK). It is almost impossible to hurt yourself with this razor. But, I also find it almost impossible to get a really close shave. Today was acceptably close, but it took a lot of effort.

I acquired this "milk soap" at a grocery store in Marseilles during a cruise in May of 2022. It is definitely a "mainstream" product, but it works quite competently. Nothing special, just gets the job done.

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

I need one of those Old Spice bottles. 🙂

I need one of those Old Spice bottles. 🙂
I must say, that I am partial to everything Old Spice, and, for some reason, I really like these small travel bottles. As best as I have been able to figure out, this type of bottle came in a travel set in the mid 1960s. They aren't incredibly hard to find empty. I had the good fortune to stumble upon a two of them along with a matching bottle of talcum powder that were part of a "lot" of vintage gear I bought at an estate auction for $9.27. I found my acquisition post HERE. I was more interested in the razors than the bottles and assumed that they would be empty. I was wrong! All three bottles were filled with product. I later stumbled across a third bottle of aftershave. I can't recall where.

Here is a link to a very informative webpage about these bottles. In fact, this entire site is filled with all kinds of great information about everything Old Spice.

I must say, that I am partial to everything Old Spice, and, for some reason, I really like these small travel bottles. As best as I have been able to figure out, this type of bottle came in a travel set in the mid 1960s. They aren't incredibly hard to find empty. I had the good fortune to stumble upon a two of them along with a matching bottle of talcum powder that were part of a "lot" of vintage gear I bought at an estate auction for $9.27. I found my acquisition post HERE. I was more interested in the razors than the bottles and assumed that they would be empty. I was wrong! All three bottles were filled with product. I later stumbled across a third bottle of aftershave. I can't recall where.

Here is a link to a very informative webpage about these bottles. In fact, this entire site is filled with all kinds of great information about everything Old Spice.

Nice.

I've spent a lot of time at that web site. 🙂

I found several of the standard shaped bottles (full), and was lucky enough to find a full "lighthouse" bottle for a few bucks at an outdoor antique sale. My only square-ish OS bottle is a pre-electric shave lotion.

I'd never heard of Mossei razors, but, damn, that is a beautiful razor. How does it shave?

I've only used it for head shaves, with the plastic (mild) safety bar and always feel like I'm one lapse in focus from disaster.

That sounds dire, but if I use a very light touch, get the angle correct, and pay attention, it gives great head shaves.

I'm terrified at the thought of using the more aggressive, metal safety bar...but I might try it on my face first to ease my fear. 😄

Top Bottom