What's new

Modern May 2024

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My shave from yesterday. Charcoal Goods Level 2 Gen 1 Brass Stinger. Light Brigade blade (6).

2024-05-08 09.26.23.jpeg

I recently bought 4 injector type razors from an antiques and curios vendor at a nearby flea market. I'd noticed a sub-culture of injector users on B&B, and while I suspected they are the kind of guys who wear flat caps and drink stout at room temperature, I was curious about injectors.

But for "Modern May", the only one that meets the post-1974 deadline is this.
20240510_071506~2.jpg

I think that is called a Feather ATG, but honestly I don't know. Those PAL blades I also found out in the wild, and are what I decided to try today too.
20240510_071752~2.jpg

20240510_072051.jpg

The razor was part of this grooming kit. I got this for $12.50 and normally wouldn't have thought twice about buying it. It gives off a "truck stop gift shop" vibe. But I'd been reading the archival posts of the SISSIES about injectors and @xxvaleria had commented these were of excellent quality, and very rare in the U.S. It is well that I wasn't drinking coffee later when I saw the price online for what these currently sell for. The coffee would've been spewed onto the wall.

Oh yeah...about this shave. Shower and conditioner. RazoRock synthetic, RazoRock "Black Label" soap. I started by injecting a PAL blade in. The new blade kicked out a blued-steel blank...suggesting this razor had never been used until this morning.

This led to an internal philosophical argument as to whether I am a collector, or just a user with a large rotation. I don't think I'm a collector.

First north-south pass and nothing was happening. I was just removing soap. This is a very mild razor with a small "sweet spot". And while the PAL wasn't tugging (how could it?), I realized I was wasting my time. So I popped in one of the Feather "Injector II" blades from the magazine in the grooming kit. This is a stepped, two-blade injector design.

And beard hair finally started appearing in the sink. Three passes and frankly, it was only an okay shave. It is so mild, it makes a Tech look like a lightsaber. At a minimum, I should be able to get BBS on my cheeks with an atg pass. Nope.

Well, come June I'll see what the pre-74 injectors I have can do.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thursday 20240509
Modern May 2024
Razor: Above The Tie X1 Slant (Timeless Crown TRH8 Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (9 shaves, 18 passes)

Friday 20240510
Modern May 2024
Razor: Above The Tie X1 Slant (Timeless Crown TRH8 Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (10 shaves, 20 passes)
20240508_183750~2.jpg

Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Taconic Shave Bay Rum Cream
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

An exceptional kit. I could use this kit every day and be perfectly happy.

Superb shave!

Brush: RV “Duke Style Handle” (love this handle) @Rudy Vey 27mm Longshaving

If anyone is looking for a very high end brush have @Rudy Vey make you a handle and get a Longshaving knot installed for around $240.00 they is not a better quality brush made today.

Blade: Feather 🪶 (1), is there anything better than a Feather on the first use? No

Soap: GD “Vetiver” Aion Maxima, this is probably my favorite of the Aion Maxima Soaps
I have 3 tubs of this one

Razor: Paradigm Tiback for $315.00 it would hard to find a better Titanium razor

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

💯🥇💯🥇

IMG_4166.jpeg

Doug

Friday Modern May shave #5 rated 8.75/10 using:
  • Razor: Lord L.125 (meh)
  • Blade: Lord Platinum (1)
  • Brush: Razorock 400 Silver Noir Plissoft
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema
  • Soap: LEA mentholated cream
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by LEA Sensitive mentholated balm
PXL_20240510_142109767.jpg
On a whim early on in the "Blade Journey" that spawned my scoring log (and THIS thread), I bought the Lord L.125 razor that came with Lord Platinum blades. I finally broke them out to give them a go. The combo was OK, but not great.

The blade felt slightly tuggy, very tuggy for a brand new blade, and was not very smooth and just of average sharpness and efficiency. I also had a few weepers; they closed quickly, but still.

The razor appears to be cast ZAMAK or some equivalent material and does not give off an impression of "precision." The head appears to mimic a Merkur 34C style head, but in a three-piece design. What do you expect for the $7 shipped that I paid for the razor and blades? It did shave my beard, but I won't be putting the razor or the blade in my rotation.

I don’t get to use the LEA cream and balm all that often because I have so many soaps. I bought the cream and balm in 2022 from Connaught Shaving in the UK for $4 when the exchange rate was in my favor. Both products are very competent, everyday items that do a fine job and leave my skin feeling refreshed.

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Modern May

Fatip Friday, bebe!

Tonight’s nifty shave
Fatip Grande
Sharp Titanium (3)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky
AP ShaveCo Dinosaur G5C 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: warm shower :001_wub: and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Lather: VDH Luxury Scented; face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Post-shave: Equate moisturizer

Put the Fatip’s lustrously nickel-plated cap on my neck and put it in gear.. it was like the work week was being erased with every shorn whisker. Barely, if ever, did I feel the edges of the blade on my skin, but I could feel the resistance of each whisker presenting itself for trip down my sink. I was a slow-poke, but it was a rare instance of savoring. It was decadently awesome.

Date11.05.2024
366 daily shaves
132/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorock Game Changer .84OCGillette Rubie (5)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (16)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (One red spot)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Yesterday’s shave was too mild for my liking. The Game Changer is much more effective and I am definitely a fan of that.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave.

Top Bottom