What's new

mixing isoprop alcohol with witch hazel

All,
I use Dickinson's Witch Hazel as an aftershave. If I wanted, could I add a little more isoprop alcohol to increase the "bite"? Would the extra alcohol break down, or ruin the witch hazel? Thanks,
John

Unlikely. There are plenty of mixtures that contain both witch hazel and alcohol(s). I am not sure how many of them use propanol instead of, or in addition to, ethanol. Still the properties of these alcohols are similar enough, so that I would not expect any difference. Best - MM

I'm no chemist, so I couldnt really tell you. I do konw that most aftershaves contain denatured alcohol. I have no idea if thats the same as regular rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol though.

The best thing I could tell you is to use a alcohol based afterhave before the witch hazel. You could even mix some witch hazel with your favorite A/S to make it a little more healing.

I tried this with a cheap bottle of toner as an experiment & although it works as far as adding a 'bite' to it, the alcohol smell is predominant. I didn't measure how much alcohol I used but it wasn't a lot...maybe I used too much. Dunno. I won't be doing again after I'm done with this conncotion. :redface:

I'm no chemist, so I couldnt really tell you. I do konw that most aftershaves contain denatured alcohol. I have no idea if thats the same as regular rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol though.

No, it is not the same thing. Denatured alcohol is ethanol (i.e., the same thing as vodka) with an added poison to make it undrinkable. Isopropyl alcohol is a completely different chemical (also undrinkable).

Tim

Isopropyl alcohol is a completely different chemical (also undrinkable).

Drinkable, but not as drinkable as ethanol. Toxicity is approximately 2X that of ethanol, so it's a better bet than Methanol.
It's actually used in some food additives, such as a few fake "Rose Waters". Do yourself a favour and get real rose water- far tastier, and far less toxic!

Splashing propanol (propyl alcohol) on one's face sounds like madness but then again, so does ethanol... What is the rationale for the alcohol in aftershaves, anyway? Disinfectant?

I believe the hand disinfectant used in hospitals is basically skin lotion liberally spiked with propanol. Has anyone tried using that stuff as an aftershave?

Hospitals in the UK use alcohol gel- it's isopropanol and propyene glycol, I think.

Alcohol in aftershaves is antiseptic, yes, it also resets the pH of your skin after the relatively alkaline soap or cream. This is most important if you have razor burn- you have basically scraped off the acid mantle of your skin, and it doesn't like it. Alcohol replaces it, and at high concentrations, it precipitates proteins- it basically hardens the raw immature skin cells you have exposed, making them more like surface skin should be. This burns like bu**ery for a moment, but soon repairs your skin. That is why it makes such a good aftershave!

I'd only use the denatured alcohol (SD 40) if you checkout the ingredients in any of your alcohol-based aftershaves; Thayers does make a witch hazel containing alcohol, but they call it Natural Grain Alcohol, which, I believe is a fancy name for denatured alcohol/ethanol. I think that by law ethanol used in aftershave has to be denatured so as to discourage people from drinking it. Any other type of alcohol (e.g. methanol, isopropyl) could be tough on your skin.

Methanol is a lighter fraction, (compared to ethanol), and would evaporate sooner- this would mean a more cooling sensation, but may be harder to get all over the face. Propanol is heavier, and would take longer to evaporate- this would be easier to get all over, but may sting for longer (if you are sensetive to such things).

Methanol is a lighter fraction, (compared to ethanol), and would evaporate sooner- this would mean a more cooling sensation, but may be harder to get all over the face. Propanol is heavier, and would take longer to evaporate- this would be easier to get all over, but may sting for longer (if you are sensetive to such things).

Methanol also has the added benefit of making you blind over time, so you won't be able to see those cuts and nicks. That's one way of making the battered skin disappear.:biggrin: :biggrin:

I doubt you will end up consuming enough methanol to make you go blind, just dabbing a few ml on your face. In fact, it's teh stuff used to denature it I'm more concerned about- typically diethyl pthalate.

I doubt you will end up consuming enough methanol to make you go blind, just dabbing a few ml on your face. In fact, it's teh stuff used to denature it I'm more concerned about- typically diethyl pthalate.

I haven't come across any warnings regarding diethyl pthalate. I'd be intereste din hearing more about it. Also, I have never seen methanol being used in cosmetics. Do you know of any? I find it highly unlikely that such cosmetics would be approved, given the toxic properties of methanol, but stranger things have happened, and I have not carefully studied all ingredient lists. Best - MM

Phthalates are one of the synthetic "xenoestrogens". Manufacturers insist they are safe, but the fact is, oestrogen dependant tumors are increasing, while firtility levels are falling, the more oestrogen mimicing chemicals are produced.
Methanol isn't used in cosmetics, to the best of my knowlege, but it is the basis of Surgical spirit- in England, we use this as in America you can get "rubbing alcohol". The difference is that surgical spirit is denatured with phthalates, and contains 2% castor oil to prevent the skin from drying out, and a little methyl salicylate as an analgesic. I can commend it fro hardening feet, and making them feel MUCH better after walking 25 miles- peel off the socks, and spray on surgical spirit- it evaporates, cools your feet down and take away the soreness. Repeat as required.
Isopropanol is in fact used in some food additives, including artificial "rose water", which is often made with rose "fragrance", isopropanol, and propylene glycol.

Phthalates are one of the synthetic "xenoestrogens". Manufacturers insist they are safe, but the fact is, oestrogen dependant tumors are increasing, while firtility levels are falling, the more oestrogen mimicing chemicals are produced.

I don't think it's that clear. The question is still open whether fertility is indeed declining. Even if so, it is even less clear which environmental chemicals (if any) play a major role. It is also not quite clear if the number of tumors stimulated by estrogens is indeed increasing, or whether this is mainly a consequence of people simply living longer. DEP (diethyl phthalate) has a very, very low xenoestrogenic activity, compared to other phthalates that are commonly used, or parabens. DEP indeed appears to be rather "safe".

Don't get me wrong. I am all for cutting out chemicals whose effects are not fully understood, but I try to evaluate risks in relative terms. For example, smokers, people who live in larger cities, those who like barbeque a lot, or those who enjoy regular drinks, certainly have other things to worry about than a tiny amount of DEP in an after shave balm.

Best - MM

Yes this is true- I also tend not to worry about DEP in the Surgical Spirit on my feet, when I have consumed water from a plastic bottle. Etc. etc.

A long time ago, in a universe far away, I was in college on a scholarship. One of my part-time jobs was to help out in the chemistry/physics labs. For some strange reason, they thought I had integrity (well, at least a little). One of my jobs was to make the 99.99% pure ethanol "undrinkable", without rendering it useless for chemical experiments. The accepted method for doing this was to add phenolphthalein. Now this stuff is a powerful laxative, or more precisely, a purgative. I added about 100 ml (about 7 tablespoons) to a 55 gallon drum of pure ethanol. After that, one shot of the mix would have you running to the john for two days.

Of course, a very few crucial experiments required the absolutely pure stuff, so I carefully drew off a few liters for those experiments first.

Then, for off-site backup, I drew off a few more liters.:biggrin: Kept me and my dormitory mates happy all semester!:thumbup:

....SNIP....

Of course, a very few crucial experiments required the absolutely pure stuff, so I carefully drew off a few liters for those experiments first.

Then, for off-site backup, I drew off a few more liters.:biggrin: Kept me and my dormitory mates happy all semester!:thumbup:

Yeah, we did that also, until I worked with the chromatographic lab and discovered that "99.99% alcohol" or "200 Proof" Ethanol azeotroped with benzene, so that all bottles so labeled also contain 100 to 300 ppm benzene. Not something I wanted to drink. :crying:

Jay

Yeah, getting 100% is tough. Real tough (distillation wise).

A vacuum distillation apparatus can get there without benzene or another azeotrope. For those who need it I'm sure it's worth the effort. 'Course every time you open up the container it'll suck water out of the environment...

As for me, I'm happy to stick to 96.8% and below. Call me old-fashioned.

Rick

Top Bottom