What's new

Mitchell’s Replacement?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I do not care for MWF but is it really not possible to purchase the tallow version? In the last few years I have accumulated almost 50 unusued pucks and sticks of Yardley, Cussons Imperial Leather, Old Spice, Goya etc. and they were discontinued decades ago. I know MWF has recently been reformulated but surely it is available somewhere.

I have always thought of Haslinger Schafmilch as a great stand-in for Mitchell’s Wool Fat (MWF), but it will not fit the bill for someone who is looking for an “original” (tallow) MWF replacement.
I know it is not a tallow soap anymore. Haslinger just didn't put out another palm oil soap. They really made sure it was right. This is an excellent soap that has lanolin like Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF).

Perhaps try Stirling or Areffa soaps. Both have tallow but they are softer than Mitchells...which I don't mind at all.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I know it is not a tallow soap anymore. Haslinger just didn't put out another palm oil soap. They really made sure it was right. This is an excellent soap that has lanolin like Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF).

I got tired of the way MWF dried out, cracked and then crumbled into dust right inside its ceramic container with its ill fitting lid, many long years before they decided to stop using tallow.

Switched to Haslinger Schafmilch to get my fix of Lanolin and Sheep’s Milk when they still had tallow. Nice scent, doesn’t dry out and crumble and lathers better and easier than MWF. When Haslinger changed to no tallow, they were one of the rare soap makers whose performance didn’t drop at all because of the change.

Can’t say that for MWF, Tabac and a few others.

La Toja is another who’s vegetable soap seems to be every bit as good as their former tallow version.

Thanks guys. I was able to find one that had the tallow version in the picture so we will see if it is actually the tallow version when it arrives. I do have the Stirling with tallow and lanolin, it’s very good but not exactly MWF.

Is there any soap out there that is similar to the original MWF formula?
My next choice, should I ever run out of tallow MWF, would be the current tallow based pucks from Cyril R. Salter. They are available from Connaught Shaving for roughly $6.00 U.S. (4.50 British Pounds ex VAT) each. 100 grams versus MWF 125 Grams.

Lathers really well with a nice, though different aroma.

Top Bottom