What's new

Mild to Aggressive razor, Advice

If you disagree with the categorization you are disagreeing with Italian Barber. They say the Lupo .72 is more aggressive than the GC .84. I didn't say I found the Lupo more aggressive, Italian Barber said it. Take it up with them.
I own have used many, many times the GC. 68 & .84. Have no interest in the Lupo .72.

Great :thumbup: , just give a try to a lupo .72 and share us your considerations afterwards.
This way will be more beneficial for all of us :a29:

I find the Razorocks chart is accurate, having a Mamba 53, Game changer .68p, Game Changer .84p and the Lupo .72. YMMV but the Chart is accurate and it comes from the manufacturer of all said razors.
IMG_20210518_150120.jpg

I would suggest an aluminum RR Baby Smooth, especially coupled with an SS handle.
It gets a good balance between smoothness and efficiency.
However, increasing efficiency could be more preferred.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Time for new razor, after one year with DE89 i want to try next level, mild to Aggressive scale, so which one of those should i prefer, Lupo .72, Muhle Rocca V.4, GC .84, Ej 3one6 or you have to suggest something else?

You want more aggression (as in rough and/or prone to biting)? I doubt it.

You want more efficiency (as in more easily able to deliver a very close and long lasting shave)? That's my guess.

FOCS(2).Gold.Chrome.640.JPG

If what you're looking for is a smooth feeling, easy to use, not prone to biting, and quite efficient razor that's not very expensive but is 100% brass, buy yourself a Fatip Open Comb Slant.

If you want to spend tons of money it's easy to do; beating the FOCS, very hard to do.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ask yourself why you want to go up in aggression - it can be fun to tame beasts, but excess aggression can be irritating (and cause irritation 😉) in a daily razor...

And if you're looking at stainless options, you're going to want to be using it more often than not given the price difference between your DE89 and the razors you're looking at.

If you just want to explore how different aggressions of razor behave then I'd look at cheaper options and build a small collection (things like the Fatip Grande/Piccolo OC and/or Fatip slant; things like vintage Gillette's from Tech's, to New's, Old's) OR look at the Rockwell's and see which plates you enjoy most.

Great synopsis!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

For me the optimal combination is a mild/moderate razor plus a sharp blade!

It is worth trying a more aggressive razor or two but your shaves may not be better.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy

You want more efficiency (as in more easily able to deliver a very close and long lasting shave)? That's my guess.

View attachment 1277064

If what you're looking for is a smooth feeling, easy to use, not prone to biting, and quite efficient razor that's not very expensive but is 100% brass, buy yourself a Fatip Open Comb Slant.

If you want to spend tons of money it's easy to do; beating the FOCS, very hard to do.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Although I would recommend the RR Lupo SS SB .72, this recommendation is a good one and may be a safer bet. The Fatip OC Slant is a very good razor, especially considering the price. I PIF'ed mine, but it always gave me a very good and close shave without being nasty and bitey. It really is an excellent shaving implement.

View attachment 1277064

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you very much for your advice.
I am looking for more efficiency and smoothness, if it's possible.

Maybe a Gillette King C

The King C. Gillette uses a R89/DE89 type head. I use a Muhle R89 in my rotation. I find the King C. Gillette slightly milder than my R89 but I'm also using it in my current rotation. But it took me a while to get used to the big heavy handle.

The King C. Gillette uses a R89/DE89 type head. I use a Muhle R89 in my rotation. I find the King C. Gillette slightly milder than my R89 but I'm also using it in my current rotation. But it took me a while to get used to the big heavy handle.
Just buy a new handle. The threads are quite standard.

Just buy a new handle. The threads are quite standard.

I have other razor handle that will fit this head, Muhle, RR & Rockwell. But I prefer to use razors with the handle they came with. But It took me a long time to get used to that handle. I even had problems gripping this razor with my off hand, I'm lefty. But to be fair the only other razor that gave me trouble, but not as much, was my Fatip Piccolo handle. But now I've also mastered that handle.

Reactions: JPO

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Time for new razor, after one year with DE89 i want to try next level, mild to Aggressive scale, so which one of those should i prefer, Lupo .72, Muhle Rocca V.4, GC .84, Ej 3one6 or you have to suggest something else?

The following thread may be of service in your search:

Please remember that only you can answer your question after trying various razors to see how they perform on your face and beard.

Hope this helps. :)

I am looking for more efficiency and smoothness, if it's possible.

Efficiency? Why don't you like to shave? We spend all this money on razors, collect and use so many (not to mention brushes, soaps etc), only to want it all to be over as efficiently (some would equate that to quickly) as possible. Then again having to work at it has its bad aspects, after all how many times can you (do you really WANT to) pass a blade across the skin of your face? And smoothness? Well, there are so many factors at work on that front, not the least of which is technique. It's a tricky thing. Good luck in your quest. It's one we all share to one degree or another.

I've just recently gotten back to shaving at the sink with DE/brush and puck and just today ordered a GC.68 on the premise that I want something relatively mild for more frequent (possibly daily) shaving. (I usually let it go 3-4 days) Otherwise my regular razors are a 1931 Gillette Goodwill open comb with an ABC handle, a 1960 Fatboy (sidelined until it's refurbished) and a 1979 generic black handle Gillete safety razor (my first). Previously I shaved in the shower by feel with a multiblade thing that I palm stropped and was usually able to get nearly 6 months out of.

Top Bottom