What's new

Mild to Aggressive razor, Advice

Time for new razor, after one year with DE89 i want to try next level, mild to Aggressive scale, so which one of those should i prefer, Lupo .72, Muhle Rocca V.4, GC .84, Ej 3one6 or you have to suggest something else?

Henson Shaving has a great aluminum razor called the AL13 (mild) and AL13 Medium. Both are mild and efficient razors. I have been getting some of my closest shaves with the Medium version.

Eric

I have all of the razors you've mentioned (except GC 84). Out of those, I would look towards the Rocca and 3one6, both shave very well and very similarly. I didn't care for the Lupo 72, but got the 95 baseplate and like it much better....very smooth and efficient. As Eric posted above, give Henson a serious look as well. I have their AL13 and Ti22 medium razors and the Ti22 is at the top of my den for performance and shaving fun. Great razors.

I don't really think you could go wrong with any of the razors you've listed. They are all good performers. It really comes down to which one you prefer (style, looks, price, etc). If you get along well with the DE89, you'll love all the razors on your list (plus the Henson of course).

I have the EJ 3one6, and it is a welcome step up in aggression from the DE89. Many compare it to the Rocca for similar performance. Halfway between DE89 and R41.

I second the nomination by @glassmtn99 regarding Henson. I have both mild and medium, and find them to be great efficient razors. If the house were on fire and I could only grab one razor, it would be the Henson medium.

The lupo and GC are excellent shavers another option to consider could be the Rockwell 6S/6C which is very versatile with blade gaps from 0.30 to 0.80

Ask yourself why you want to go up in aggression - it can be fun to tame beasts, but excess aggression can be irritating (and cause irritation 😉) in a daily razor...

And if you're looking at stainless options, you're going to want to be using it more often than not given the price difference between your DE89 and the razors you're looking at.

If you just want to explore how different aggressions of razor behave then I'd look at cheaper options and build a small collection (things like the Fatip Grande/Piccolo OC and/or Fatip slant; things like vintage Gillette's from Tech's, to New's, Old's) OR look at the Rockwell's and see which plates you enjoy most.

Ask yourself why you want to go up in aggression - it can be fun to tame beasts, but excess aggression can be irritating (and cause irritation 😉) in a daily razor...

And if you're looking at stainless options, you're going to want to be using it more often than not given the price difference between your DE89 and the razors you're looking at.

If you just want to explore how different aggressions of razor behave then I'd look at cheaper options and build a small collection (things like the Fatip Grande/Piccolo OC and/or Fatip slant; things like vintage Gillette's from Tech's, to New's, Old's) OR look at the Rockwell's and see which plates you enjoy most.
Yes those were exactly my intentions, thank you so much for your advices, i will definitely try some of them.

Time for new razor, after one year with DE89 i want to try next level, mild to Aggressive scale, so which one of those should i prefer, Lupo .72, Muhle Rocca V.4, GC .84, Ej 3one6 or you have to suggest something else?

Your questions shows that you already made good research and you narrowed down to a good size your prospect DE razor(s).
Let me breifly give an aggressivness scale of the Razors you mentioned.

Mild ....Lupo.72<Gc .84< EJ 3ONE6< Muhle Rocca... Aggressive

I presume that you are a daily shaver. If I were you I'll pick Lupo .72.
The reason of picking Lupo .72 are as follows;
1- It is user friendly
2- Agressiveness will be OK after a EJ89, you will not feel your self in dangerous waters
3- Investing to a Lupo .72 will let you to continue to higher gear (if you need in the future) simply by investing to a Lupo .95 base plate. In other words if let say two years later you decide that you need a DE Razor more agrressive, you can simply buy a Lupo .95 base plate and you are good to go

Last edited:
Your questions shows that you already made good research and you narrowed down to a good size your prospect DE razor(s).
Let me breifly give an aggressivness scale of the Razors you mentioned.

Mild ....Lupo.72<Gc .84< EJ 3ONE6< Muhle Rocca... Aggressive

I presume that you are a daily shaver. If I were you I'll pick Lupo .72.
The reason of picking Lupo .72 are as follows;
1- It is user friendly
2- Agressiveness will be OK after a EJ89, you will not feel your self in dangerous waters
3- Investing to a Lupo .72 will let you to continue to higher gear (if you need in the future) simply by investing to a Lupo .95 base plate. In other words if let say two years later you decide that you need a DE Razor more agrressive, you can simply buy a Lupo .95 base plate and you are good to go
lupo .72 is my first choice on the list now, ej3one6 the second, i think muhle is as aggressive as lupo .95

My most efficient razors are my 2 Fatip's, the Gentile & OC razors. My Gentile is MORE efficient & smoother than my GC 84. And I also use a Muhle R89 & a King C. Gillette in my razor rotation. But YMMV.

For what it's worth, and I seem to be an exception to the rule (that or I have a dud 🤣) but I find the Game changer 84-p (safety bar) needlessly harsh for its level of efficiency.

I've had my GC OC68 for a few days only, but it's night and day so far - far, far smoother and yet not noticeably less efficient... For me, it just seems to be a vastly superior razor (I've had very, very few that I've found truly unsatisfactory - the GC84-P is my most disappointing given its hype).

I like the Fatips but mine is awful for blade alignment and I can rarely be bothered with the necessary fiddling for a couple of minutes before use (I could level a similar accusation at my Gillette Old types, though there's more a feeling of special occasion using those and the alignment is less egregious than my Fatip).

In terms of price paid, my Gillette New Short Comb is a far away winner - superb blade rigidity, very smooth and very efficient, it's just magical and cost me <$35 (including shipping from US to UK!!)... My Long Comb News and Techs come next and these were cheaper again.

Among my stainless razors, the Mamba's (53 and 70) have always received a significant amount of use and as mild daily razors have been more than worth their humble pricetags. The GC 68 (OC) is rapidly on its way to joining them.
My Rockwell 6S has had plenty of use, but it's become a bit of a forlorn onlooker as time has gone on - I just find it uninspiring to look at and pick up, especially next to the much more sculpted and modern look of the Razorocks and the elegance of the vintage Gillette's... Great razor, it just doesn't make me want to pick it up too often.

lupo .72 is my first choice on the list now, ej3one6 the second, i think muhle is as aggressive as lupo .95

Rocca is no more aggressive than the 3one6. I have both and they shave almost identical. Slight blade feel, yet comfortable close shaves. Two of the best performers in my den. Out of those 2 pick the one you like the looks of better. The Lupo 72 will feel the smoothest out of those 3, and almost as efficient. For some reason it irritated my face so I got the 95 base plate and the irritation went away....still super smooth, close shaves. Can't go wrong with any of these.

My most efficient razors are my 2 Fatip's, the Gentile & OC razors. My Gentile is MORE efficient & smoother than my GC 84. And I also use a Muhle R89 & a King C. Gillette in my razor rotation. But YMMV.

This is my observation as well! My Gentile is truly a great razor. Among my favorite as well as the PAA DOC Ascension. My Game Changers are great (68p, 84p) but the Fatip Gentile and Ascension (my Stainless and Copper) are incredible. For the price and performance, get a Fatip Gentile in the finish you like.

Top Razors in no order:
Lupo .72
Game Changers
Fatip Gentile
PAA DOC Ascensions

Rocca is no more aggressive than the 3one6. I have both and they shave almost identical. Slight blade feel, yet comfortable close shaves. Two of the best performers in my den. Out of those 2 pick the one you like the looks of better. The Lupo 72 will feel the smoothest out of those 3, and almost as efficient. For some reason it irritated my face so I got the 95 base plate and the irritation went away....still super smooth, close shaves. Can't go wrong with any of these.
Can i use Lupo 95 and Muhle Rocca as a daily driver?

Sure why not. Although I wouldn't because I shave every day like I'm running late for work & don't need more drama in my life.

However since you are stepping up from an DE 89 I would lean towards the Lupo .72 over the .95. Since you can't return it if you hate it. I also prefer the looks of the 3one6 over Rocca. Have never used either one. On Amazon the 3one6 & Rocca are both RETURNABLE. If this was my money I'd start there.

If I may ask what is the DE89 lacking? Are you getting bad shaves? I started with a DE89 & returned it because I wasn't getting good shaves. Always thought I was the problem & 1 1/2 years later bought a similar razor which I now use all the time.

Yes, I shave daily with these razors with no issue. Of course as always YMMV. It really comes down to your beard, skin type, technique, etc. I have fairly normal skin (not too sensitive) and my beard growth is enough to shave daily with an efficient razor. It shouldn't be a problem unless these razors shave you so close that you just don't have enough growth to shave it daily....:001_smile

According to the Italian Barber razor scale the Lupo .72 is more aggressive than the GC .84.
RazoRock Razor Scale - #1 is the Mildest and #31 is the Most Aggressiv – ItalianBarber

The data given and feeling can be different.

For example #26 is the Razorock Mentor which is categorized as "Medium Aggressive" and Lupo .95 is categorized "Aggressive".
I disagree with this categorization. Of course YMMV...

I experienced GC .68, GC .84, Lupo .95, Lupo .72 and Mentor.
As a user I can say Lupo .72 is smoother and less aggressive than GC .84.

I would like to know did you have the opportunity to try GC .68, GC .84, Lupo .95, Lupo .72 and Mentor ?
And with your experience can you say that GC 84 is less aggressive than Lupo .72 ???

If we only look at aggressiveness charts to understand DE razor behaviors, the personal experience(s) and this big source of this Forum becomes useless..

Last edited:
The data given and feeling can be different.

For example #26 is the Razorock Mentor which is categorized as "Medium Aggressive" and Lupo .95 is categorized "Aggressive".
I disagree with this categorization. Of course YMMV...

I experienced GC .68, GC .84, Lupo .95, Lupo .72 and Mentor.
As a user I can say Lupo .72 is smoother and less aggressive than GC .84.

I would like to know did you have the opportunity to try GC .68, GC .84, Lupo .95, Lupo .72 and Mentor ?
And with your experience can you say that GC 84 is less aggressive than Lupo .72 ???

If we anly look at aggressiveness charts to understand DE razor behaviors, the personal experience(s) and this big source of this Forum becomes useless..

If you disagree with the categorization you are disagreeing with Italian Barber. They say the Lupo .72 is more aggressive than the GC .84. I didn't say I found the Lupo more aggressive, Italian Barber said it. Take it up with them.
I own & have used many, many times my GC. 68 & .84. Have no interest in the Lupo .72.

Top Bottom