What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I know they are consumables, but I had a hankering for pickled beets. It has been at least 30 years since I have had any. Then, for some reason, Rachel's Texas Kitchen appeared on my Facebook page. I ordered the pickled baby beets, bread and butter squash, and corn relish. I have only tried the beets so far. I had a real hard time not devouring the entire jar. RTK is an Amish run business here in Texas, and they seem to make quality products. Expect a week for delivery. They aren't Amazon, and Saturdays and Sundays they do not work (don't blame them).

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I know they are consumables, but I had a hankering for pickled beets. It has been at least 30 years since I have had any. Then, for some reason, Rachel's Texas Kitchen appeared on my Facebook page. I ordered the pickled baby beets, bread and butter squash, and corn relish. I have only tried the beets so far. I had a real hard time not devouring the entire jar. RTK is an Amish run business here in Texas, and they seem to make quality products. Expect a week for delivery. They aren't Amazon, and Saturdays and Sundays they do not work (don't blame them).

The leftover pickled beet juice works great to pickle some hard boiled eggs.

Legion

Staff member
Picked up an end grain wood board, because as much as I am into sharpening my knives, there is no reason to wear them out faster than I need to.

IMG_7465.jpeg

I retired my 15y old Vermont Castings VM448. It served me well.but was rusting out, parts were seized and unable to be removed (even with grinder due to space), parts had been repositioned over the years to avoid rust.

Picked up my first ever Weber gas grill. A Genesis II EX315. I likely won't use the smart features )or even wanted them) but the dome temp may come in handy, we'll see. I would have preferred a sear zone, but couldn't resist the price of wait for the right one to come along.

The Vision Kamado (first one they made) will be replaced next, likely with a KJ Big Joe II.

Just finished assembling. Maiden voyage will be hot dogs this week, after I do a burn off.

PXL_20230924_205101928.jpg

PXL_20231012_232111639.jpg

just picked up a Chopper King Small Slicer in Blue #1 from chef knives to go. I've ordered from them before and have always been happy, but had an especially good experience this time. Placed my order and a day or so later got an email from Mark saying he noticed a small imperfection (scratch on blade), tried to buff it out and was unsuccessful, and offered a discount since it was the last one they had. Happy both that they are doing that kind of quality control and obviously to get it at a discount!

looking forward to first time using it for a meal.

New LG stove. The Old one died two weeks ago so this is a welcomed sight. For some reason it has smart functions and connects to the Wi-Fi? I’m going to have to read the manual to understand that.
6B3A45C5-17CF-4062-9AE4-2AD4545105C2.jpeg

I hate to admit it, but the only time I make major acquisitions like those here, is when I take a trip to Total Wine and get my alcohol fix…

I splurged and got myself a Thermopen IR.

20240130_094403.jpg

I totally love it.

I was using a handheld laser thermometer and an ok meat probe.

This thing is a super fast meat probe and also does IR surface temps. It's super tech dense.

Still uses batteries and it's not fully waterproof cause of the IR. Splash resistant, but other units in the Thermopen line are fully waterproof.

Top Bottom