What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Finally got a Teruyasu Fujiwara 210mm gyuto.
00D45FBF-C060-484F-9A30-88EBC94EA4B6.jpeg

1D967B34-74BB-40D1-86DF-E6000385AAB8.jpeg

I’m starting to feel pretty good about my collection.
3891D91E-46FC-44DD-916B-33C06120B754.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Was watching this item on marketplace for a while. Finally pulled the trigger, probably one of the coolest usable antiques ever bought. Sold my Hobart 4312 grinder a while back and missed it a few weeks later.
Love it. Looks like a sculpture!

took advantage of Bear Mountain BBQ's July 4 sale on smoker pellets (25% off using code July25) and picked up some of their Pecan, Bold BBQ and Gourmet BBQ blends

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ordered a 5qt Lodge Dutch oven that arrived yesterday. First thing to cook is a pot roast
Cast iron takes pot roast to another level. There is a definite flavor difference when compared to using a crock pot. Not ripping on crock pots, they are great for unsupervised cooks, but a Dutch oven just does an amazing job. Might be time for me to make a pot roast.

Cast iron takes pot roast to another level. There is a definite flavor difference when compared to using a crock pot. Not ripping on crock pots, they are great for unsupervised cooks, but a Dutch oven just does an amazing job. Might be time for me to make a pot roast.
I think one of the main reasons is that when it comes to doing pot roast in cast iron it’s truly a “one pot” meal. Sear the meat, brown the veggies then cook everything. Can’t do that with a crockpot. A crockpot is okay for when you’re going to be gone for long periods of time. Agreed that there’s a difference in flavor. Will definitely be using for doing pot roasts here on out

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Just picked up some Duralex Lys bowls, 2" and 4". Very handy. Also a pair of twelve inch tweezers, terrific for gentle flipping of small things.

My girlfriend picked me up a $13 round bottom wok (left) last week. I finally had time to get rid of the lacquer, blue, and season it yesterday. It is replacing my more expensive, flat bottom wok (right).

IMG_20230428_155834533_HDR.jpg

It was cheap enough to be a stepping stone to a fancier round bottom wok if I really like it. So far, I have no desire to go fancier.

The rounded bottom is gentle enough that it works without a ring on my range. I drastically prefer no helper handle and welded handle to the nasty, cheap rivets on the old wok. Old wok had lateral rings to catch oil and help seasoning stick I guess. They were never an issue, but I'm not sure if they really helped anything. The new, smooth one works great without them. Tossing the round bottom is easier than the flat. I overdid it the first try.

They're both pretty light. The old one is a little heavier, but it's slightly thicker steel. I'd say it's better quality, but the handle is attached by two rivets and it makes the wok flex into an oval in use.

I guess I have cheap taste in woks. That'll balance out my knife purchases... Right?

This picture was when my wok was pretty new. Nowadays it has a good season on it, but it is place on wok ring and move the food with a spatula thing not a flip the food with the handle. It is not fancy but it works well.

new_wok.jpg

Top Bottom