What's new

Marble Shaving Bowl

I needed a new Wi-Fi router and, while up on Amazon, saw this marble shaving bowl.:)

SUPPLY Marble Shaving Bowl (Naturally Heat Retaining + Handcrafted from Solid Marble)

I looked at the product information and was intrigued.:)

About the product
  • Handcrafted from a solid block of white marble, our shave bowl is designed to make a handsome addition to any bathroom.
  • Micro-ridges on the interior surface of the bowl whip up a soft, pillowy lather in seconds.
  • Marble is a superior retainer of heat, perfect for keeping your lather warm for up to three times longer than ceramic.
  • Marble has a thermal conductivity three times greater than ceramic, which means it holds a hot lather longer.
  • Warm up your bowl by filling it with hot water and letting it soak for a minute or so while you prep for your shave.

The heat retention quality really grabbed me.:) I figured it might be a better value than a scuttle. And, a bit easier to use in that I already heat up my shaving bowls in the same way as described above.:)

Okay, so I added it to my cart.:) I had a few bucks on my Amazon store card plus a credit. So, I saved seven bucks.:)

I read some reviews which spoke highly of the shaving bowl.:)

It was after I ordered that I saw THIS review:

"Fits perfectly in our renovated marble Master Bathroom. However, be aware that you will not want to leave soap in the bowl between shaves because marble is porous and some of the soap oils will seep into the stone if you leave soap in the bowl over time. Unfortunately, once I discovered this issue, the stone does not completely "dry out" so I have a slightly flawed marble bowl now."

I contacted the company and shared this concern with them. They very kindly replied:

"Hey Mark -

"Thanks for reaching out and for your recent Amazon order. We are so thrilled for you to receive it! Our Marble Shave Bowl is made from solid marble which is a porous material. Colored soaps or liquids can stain it, and we recommend testing an inconspicuous area first if you have a soap like that. However, you can use a stone sealer if you would like to protect against any stains. We have seen this help.

"We haven't had too many comments like the one you mentioned, but it is a porous material so I would just recommend either sealing it or being careful what color shave cream you use.

"If you need anything else, I'm happy to help. Just let me know! Have a fantastic rest of your week!"

I looked into a stone sealer, but these things are somewhat industrial and used for sealing pavements, tile-work, kitchen countertops, etc. Do I really want a chemical coating in a shaving bowl that I'm going to be building lather in and then applying to my face?

I think I'l pass on the sealant.

The only soaps I have that contain any sort of color are the Col. Conk Lime, Amber, and Bay Rum.

My apologies for the long post but I felt I needed to give all the background and my thought process.

So, does anyone have this bowl or a similar marble shaving bowl? Thoughts? Ideas? Tips for care?

I am really looking forward to using this shaving bowl.:)

It looks like a very nice bowl. Different for sure but at that price I would consider the bowl by Fine instead. many guys consider it the best there is.

Thater_bowl.JPG

Look up mortar & pestle in cooking/kitchen supply stores.

You may find a marble bowl at a better price.

Just clean it up (rinse) after use.

Any discoloration over time would be considered patina, not damage. Drop it and you may see damage :)

We just got set up with a marble counte top in one of our bathrooms. Stains were a concern but not enough for us to reconsider. They do use a minimal sealer but too much will cause the same staining we are trying to avoid.

Regardless of the color of the soap, most of the time the lather is white. I have a soap that is as black as a hockey puck, but it makes white lather.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I am a face latherer but I do like the look of the marble shaving bowl. Thanks for sharing.

This product looks identical to a marble dipping bowl I found at Target for $8.

It stinks at lathering, however, as the bowl seems to suck up the moisture. I can't make a decent lather with it.

I hope you have better luck.

I also looked at sealers, but the price and toxic nature of them shied me away.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This product looks identical to a marble dipping bowl I found at Target for $8.

Me, too, but I just keep a soap in it ... it looks great on the counter.

I lather in a left-handed, textured steel bowl.

There are soap-holding bowls and then there are scuttles and lather bowls ...

AA

It stinks at lathering, however, as the bowl seems to suck up the moisture. I can't make a decent lather with it.
Soak the brush in it for a couple of minutes to control the absorption; kills two birds with one stone! (sorry for the pun).

I also picked up the marble dip bowl from Target. It was definitely too small to build a lather, but it sits comfortably inside the textured brass bowl that I do lather with. I fill the bowl and sink with hot water before my shower. Heat retention is nice and I rest my brush in it between passes. I rinse out the bowl after use, and haven't noticed any buildup. I don't think my soap has any coloring, so I couldn't comment on chances of staining.

Looks like the 1950's soup bowl I sometime use that I got for 25 cents at a garage sale some time back. The bowl is glass and smooth(OK Lathering) inside but it is quite thick (holds heat better) and has never stained...

I grabbed the one from Target. It's usable, but small and cumbersome trying to keep the lather in the bowl during lather building. Lather was noticeably warmer during all passes (preheated the bowl with hot water).
I will probably end up giving to my wife to use for something else...

Top Bottom