What's new

Manual vs Automatic

We've had manuals for years however have been changing to automatics as they just don't make manuals in the cars I want anymore. Heck even Ferrari doesn't offer a manual option anymore.

Auto here. But before I could get my license my parents made me learn manual. And I'm glad they did cause now I could choose either.

Get a REALLY expensive car (Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.) And you can have both. If you want manual, turn it on and go. If you want auto, flip it into neutral, hit the automatic button (literally a button), and go!

Tried automatic, never liked it. Manual is the one for me. Its like double edge razor and cartridge. Because you won't find many people driving one.
Sadly the species is coming to an extinction at least in America. If you go to the showroom, many of them dont offer a manual one or they don't have one.

My wife and I have ten cars right now. My Expedition, her Audi Q5 and our 20 year old's Ford Fusion are the only automatics (the 20 year old can't drive a stick). The 24 year old still drives a 5-speed Xterra that we own and the 16 year old has a 6-speed 2011 BMW 328i. Our '78 Firebird is currently without a transmission but it will be getting a TKO600 5-speed manual when the 455 goes in. I've always preferred manual transmission because of the interaction with the car. I'm sad to see them go.

I'd say automatic for city driving, manual if you do anything in the snow. Years in a ski town convinced me it's entirely unsafe to to rely on nothing but brakes to slow down when you're going downhill in two feet of snow towards cross traffic and/or trees and/or a ditch and/or rabid trash bears.

Currently drive an auto, don't have problems with manuals. I live in Southern California, Los Angeles County to be exact. Next car will likely be a dual clutch, which is a terrible auto if anyone even assumed it's just an auto. Repair is a little more expensive than a traditional stick, but it shifts faster than any human can shift and blips the throttle. DCTs can be put into auto, but they're sluggish and will often mis-shift.

Will likely be taking delivery of an M4. Unless something else comes up. I'll likely keep my current car because it's my first one and my parents bought it for me new, so it has some sentimental value. Also I can fit my surfboard in there, so that's a plus.

I'd love an older car like a Jeep with a 5 speed, something that I could thrash the manual having fun and not worry about the expensive repair bill.

Last edited:
I currently drive a Honda Pilot (automatic). I've had it for 6 years. But I wish I had a manual. Before my Pilot, I drove a manual Jeep Wrangler for 10 years. I really miss that vehicle.

I prefer driving a manual but don't mind an automatic. As someone already mentioned, if it's in a vehicle I can drive it. From a maintenance perspective I like manual transmissions. An automatic transmission replacement is a very pricey expense.

Thanks to the military I've driven quite a few vehicles. When we arrived at the motor pool we didn't know what type bus we would be issued. We were issued a bus with either an automatic or a standard transmission. Until I lived in Belgium I never owned a car with an standard transmission. At the time that was the case for most cars over there. While I was stateside I had a buddy who would loan me his Ford Capri with a 3 on the tree once in a while. That was a fun car to drive.

Preference: Manual transmission

Grew up with driving manuals, but after a pesky shoulder surgery I gave in have been driving autos ever since. After a few months of North Dallas traffic I have to admit that the automatic is probably a little more relaxing than rowing the gearbox stoplight to stoplight.

Grew up with driving manuals, but after a pesky shoulder surgery I gave in have been driving autos ever since. After a few months of North Dallas traffic I have to admit that the automatic is probably a little more relaxing than rowing the gearbox stoplight to stoplight.
Amen to that. It's the same here in Houston.

I learned in a '56 jeep. Drove the first semi at 16. In the military I drove and was a driver instructor for jeeps, gama-goats. 2 1/2 and 5 tons. All manuals, which I prefer, I have gotten used to automatics because they are more common in today's vehicles. I think for city driving an auto makes more sense. I wouldn't be surprised to have an auto in the next semi I drive.

I'm not happy when I'm not shifting. Automatics just are not for me. Current vehicle is a 2014 Toyota a Corolla S with a 6 speed manual. I enjoy driving that car a lot.

Manual all the way. I drive a 2003 Mini Cooper S - I like to feel engaged when I drive and the shifting and difference in acceleration / RPMs makes driving enjoyable.

Manual all the way. I drive a 2003 Mini Cooper S - I like to feel engaged when I drive and the shifting and difference in acceleration / RPMs makes driving enjoyable.

Nice!

One of my in-laws has something similar, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

Nice!

One of my in-laws has something similar, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

It's a joy to drive. While I certainly don't compete in a straight line with a few of my muscle car enthusiast friends, the superior handling is what I really enjoy. If you happen to live near mountains - a small manual with good handling makes for some of the best driving I have ever experienced.

It's a joy to drive. While I certainly don't compete in a straight line with a few of my muscle car enthusiast friends, the superior handling is what I really enjoy. If you happen to live near mountains - a small manual with good handling makes for some of the best driving I have ever experienced.

That's what I've heard. My wife was driving the mini manual in Ithaca, which is supposed to be quite hilly.

Not many hills or mountains here in IA, but I have a much better time in the snow with my manual. Now I just have to watch out for those SUV drivers who think they're invincible. :lol:

What is sad, and based on my experience as a professional auto technician, is that quite a few of the manual transmission vehicles people are saying they own are actually more inclined to severe failure (beyond a clutch) than their automatic counterparts.

I drive stick now, but my next car will be an automatic. While generally speaking they are better than they used to be that can be very far from the truth in many cases. Manufactures are trying to put more into a smaller package for cheaper, and sometimes the result is far from pretty.

My previous 3 cars were manual transmission, but my current Toyota Camry is an automatic. NJ/NY traffic pretty much made me switch. I used to drive more highway miles in the previous job I had.

Top Bottom