What's new

Making the Switch to Induction - Tips For Newbies

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
In theory, heat levels will change instantly. In practice not so much due to the flat cooktop surface carrying residual heat carried over from the pot and pan when lowering the temperature. From my experience, cookware responds much quicker to the changes made on gas tops vs induction tops.

It may be just the variance in models. I find that my induction range is very responsive. I can take a pot of water from a full rolling boil to a gentle simmer in seconds (like 1 to 3) and back to a full boil again in seconds. I was showing it to a friend that's used a gas range for years and his response was "Wow!"

It may be just the variance in models. I find that my induction range is very responsive. I can take a pot of water from a full rolling boil to a gentle simmer in seconds (like 1 to 3) and back to a full boil again in seconds. I was showing it to a friend that's used a gas range for years and his response was "Wow!"
Ours is the same and pretty much instant temp changes.

I think, when the time comes, I will be buying gas. Plus, I like cast iron, and I know I will screw the top up in no time flat.

I have been using cast iron (both with and without an enamel coat), and have had no issues. Just have to be sure there are no rough edges or parts on the casting.

I have been using cast iron (both with and without an enamel coat), and have had no issues. Just have to be sure there are no rough edges or parts on the casting.

Got any special tips or tricks on using and caring for enameled CI?

I just got my first piece, a Le Creuset 3.5qt Dutch Oven. I've only cooked with it a couple of times, but I'm really impressed with how well it performs during the cooking and how easy it is to clean up afterwards. (And I only paid $31.26 for it BRAND NEW!)

I'm looking at some more enameled pieces ... maybe a Staub "Perfect Pan" but at $180 it will have to wait a while.

Got any special tips or tricks on using and caring for enameled CI?

I just got my first piece, a Le Creuset 3.5qt Dutch Oven. I've only cooked with it a couple of times, but I'm really impressed with how well it performs during the cooking and how easy it is to clean up afterwards. (And I only paid $31.26 for it BRAND NEW!)

I'm looking at some more enameled pieces ... maybe a Staub "Perfect Pan" but at $180 it will have to wait a while.

I have a few Le Creuset peices also. I use only wooden spoons (or plastic/rubber items), or a rubber coated whisk (for sauces).
I start them on a low setting at first then increase the heat. Key point is not to use metal on them, and clean with a nylon brush or pad (no metal scrubbing pads). If I end up with some food sticking, I add hot water and dish soap, then let sit. The bottoms are smooth and have not presented any problems with scratching the cook top (we have been using the induction for 14 months).

We do use a couple of uncoated cast iron pans. I checked them bottoms to ensure they are flat and have no rough edge on them. Otherwise for uncoated I scrape under running water. No soap, and treat them with oil if needed every few years.

I have a few Le Creuset peices also. I use only wooden spoons (or plastic/rubber items), or a rubber coated whisk (for sauces).
I start them on a low setting at first then increase the heat. Key point is not to use metal on them, and clean with a nylon brush or pad (no metal scrubbing pads). If I end up with some food sticking, I add hot water and dish soap, then let sit. The bottoms are smooth and have not presented any problems with scratching the cook top (we have been using the induction for 14 months).

We do use a couple of uncoated cast iron pans. I checked them bottoms to ensure they are flat and have no rough edge on them. Otherwise for uncoated I scrape under running water. No soap, and treat them with oil if needed every few years.
Thanks for the tip about the wooden spoons ... I've been searching for a new spatula for quite a while now but haven't found it yet. At least not at a price I like. Since metal utensils won't work well on enamel, it narrows down my choices considerably.

I will probably pick up on one of those bundled 3-piece sets made from bamboo that I see all over for a couple of bucks, and get in the habit of replacing it every year or so.

Thanks for the tip about the wooden spoons ... I've been searching for a new spatula for quite a while now but haven't found it yet. At least not at a price I like. Since metal utensils won't work well on enamel, it narrows down my choices considerably.

I will probably pick up on one of those bundled 3-piece sets made from bamboo that I see all over for a couple of bucks, and get in the habit of replacing it every year or so.

We picked up a set of bamboo spoons and spatulas from a friend who hosted the Pampered Chef line. They are excellent, and have lasted many years.

If you make sauces, a rubber coated wire whisk is great, they come in a variety of sizes and flex-abilities.

We picked up a set of bamboo spoons and spatulas from a friend who hosted the Pampered Chef line. They are excellent, and have lasted many years.

If you make sauces, a rubber coated wire whisk is great, they come in a variety of sizes and flex-abilities.
I already have the whisk ... I think its coated in silicone. I don't do sauces, but I use it to beat eggs and general stirring purposes.

Ikea is full of bamboo utensils if you don't want to pay the high prices of Pampered Chef.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I already have the whisk ... I think its coated in silicone. I don't do sauces, but I use it to beat eggs and general stirring purposes.

I have three whisks, but I still beat eggs with a fork. That is how I have always done it.

In theory, heat levels will change instantly. In practice not so much due to the flat cooktop surface carrying residual heat carried over from the pot and pan when lowering the temperature. From my experience, cookware responds much quicker to the changes made on gas tops vs induction tops.

Not sure what induction tops you have used, but with mine, it is quicker to react to temp changes than any gas top I have used. I have not used a commercial gas top.

Last edited:

I'm afraid I have to agree with the other posters - if that's true for you then there's something wrong with your induction cooktop or the pots you're using on it. Rolling boil to still water in about three seconds is pretty normal for induction.

However, for cooking enthusiasts and pros, they still have the disadvantage of electric stovetops. That is, you can't tell visually how strong your heat is, can't make infinitely minute changes in heat level visually as well as not being able to make instant changes to heat levels.
Induction is convenient but still plays a distant second fiddle to gas.

So you're saying that you can't read a dial or digital display, but you can judge the size of a flame in infinitely minute gradations? That must be some special type of dyslexia I haven't heard of before. :lol:

I understand the BTU argument, but the rest of it feels like someone who's trying too hard to justify the choice that he's familiar and comfortable with. If you like gas -- fine! Enjoy! :001_smile

Top Bottom