What's new

Lucky Ebay find

I finally got around to thouroughy cleaning it. I realized that to stay within my comfort zone, I need to give it a 'hospital-grade' clean up (see http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/186435-Blood-borne-diseases?p=2760207#post2760207)
It took me a while to find a store that actually sells 5% lysol, but I did. Lessons learned about working with that stuff: (1) work outside [!!!!] (2) use gloves. Was it really necessary after I scrubbed it with Lysol brand soap (2% concentrate)? maybe not but after that procedure I just felt comfortable using it without and reservations.

Anyway after that it really looked great.

$2012-08-29 13.29.10.jpg
$2012-08-29 13.30.27.jpg
I gave it the first shave yesterday. It shaves very close. The OC design keeps the blade a really close to the skin and I see why people recommended a Feather blade. When no pressure is applied, the blade ought to be SHARP. I used a super smoothe albeit mild Lord Platinum blade, which is fantastic in the Lord L6 razor, but not that great in this razor.
The shave took a bit longer than I am used to since i am accustomed to longer handles but it was so nice to hold this little 80 years old razor.
The end result was endoresed by the management and was recognized as the closest shave to date.

Good stuff!

If you really want to set your mind at ease about organisms, grab some Lysol wipes and have at it a few times. Nothing will survive that.

No need for anything drastic in cleaning it. Clean it like you would any kitchen utinsel knife that you prize. A little dish soap with a toothbrush and hot water, a dip in alcohol and presto your good to go. Scrubby bubbles work good to. Good luck.
I have had problems using rubbing alcohol on gold plate. If someone decides to use alcohol, dip it quickly and rinse fully.

I have had problems using rubbing alcohol on gold plate. If someone decides to use alcohol, dip it quickly and rinse fully.
Alcohol is not that great of a sterilizer agent. It is used on wounds and cuts because it is not damaging to live tissues.

If you really want to set your mind at ease about organisms, grab some Lysol wipes and have at it a few times. Nothing will survive that.

I have the wipes. I used them daily on many applications. They are a bit rough and can damage the thin lacquer that protects the gold-filled layer. Also those are 2% concentration...

An hour soak in 5% lysol is considered good enough for hospital equipment and hence good enough for me. It set my mind at ease and the biggest challenge was to find a store that carried it. I see no reason to compromise on that point, but thats me.

Top Bottom