What's new

Lucky Ebay find

With all the favorable talk of the Gillette NEW, I really wanted to get one. On ebay they rack up high prices for stuff that look like was found in a damp cave.
I stumbled upon an auction for a Gillette Tech from a seller that was (a) not up to the latest and greatest on anything regarding vintage razors and (b) didn't know that the tech, albeit in a tech box was infact a NEW and a nice one at that.
But why am I yammering so much, here are some pics:

$2012-08-25 16.38.04.jpg

$2012-08-25 16.34.08.jpg
$2012-08-25 16.36.28.jpg
$2012-08-25 16.36.09.jpg
$2012-08-25 16.34.42.jpg

I haven't cleaned it yet, this is the shape in which I got it. The plating seems all there. The comb plate, as you can see looks mint and the handle has no cracks or anything like it.

It seems a lot like this razor:
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1930s 501 Special von Jon Butler.jpg

I guess the original owner lost the original box so used a tech box instead.

Even the management, that was mortified at the thought of the a used razor said "you know, George (our local jeweler) can probably clean it up for you really nice".

I am abit hesitant on cleaning it because I am afraid I would damage the plating. However George's shop would open on Monday and I am not sure I can wait that long, so suggestions are welcomed.
As for sterilization, I saw a post here that hospital procedure calls for 1 hour soak in 5% lysol, so that seems reasonable. My wife actually said "you know that hospitals have those flesh-eating-bacetria" and my answer was "honey, this razor is way before those ever became a problem :)"

I am starting to see the appeal of these razors, in a sense you are holding a piece of history in your hand and it is special.

No need for anything drastic in cleaning it. Clean it like you would any kitchen utinsel knife that you prize. A little dish soap with a toothbrush and hot water, a dip in alcohol and presto your good to go. Scrubby bubbles work good to. Good luck.

You scored well, sir. Congrats on gaining a fine razor. The NEW is an excellent shaver. Add a Feather blade and its top shelf.

If the jeweler has an ultrasonic tank - stay away.

Scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush will do the clean up nicely.

Very nice score! :thumbup: The NEW is my favorite razor. It looks to be in very good shape. I would just use Scrubbing bubbles and then a dip in Alcohol.

Congrats on a fine score. One nice thing about 3 piece razors is they are soon easy to break down and clean. The bad things that could get you should not be able to live on a dry razor for years or decades. Wash it like you would your knife or fork and your shave will be safer than going to visit Aunt Mae in the hospital.

Enjoy.....

Good looking New. I had a similar situation where the person was selling a "tech" but was a New. It was a steal.

Score! Nice work...looking through all those ads to find 'the' razor you are looking for is definitely work.

Great find. I love the NEW longcomb. Best razors i have (Have 2)! Yours looks fantastic.
Now then it comes to cleaning. You will find that soap and water and a soft toothbrush usually what it takes. Wipe it with a microfiber cloth for optics. That way you now its soft enough for the thin gold plating these have.
If you want to be on the sure side about germs and viruses. I can recomend a diluted solution of Barbecide. Soak it in for max 10 min.

Congrats on the minty find! follow the cleaning advice above, no need for a professional cleaning. Enjoy your shaves.

+1 on the gentle cleaning advice. Nothing stronger than dish soap, hot water, and a toothbrush is needed for that one! There are no cooties that can live on a clean razor with nothing to eat . . . and besides, it is the blade that cuts you, not the razor!

The NEW razors had a very thin gold wash, with no underlying nickel plating. It doesn't take much to scrub your way right through the gold and into the brass and copper below. Even a mild polish like MAAS or Simichrome can strip a NEW. Also, long soaks in any type of disinfectant or alcohol is not recommended.

You've scored a really nice razor . . . enjoy the shave!!

Top Bottom