What's new

Lord, I had no idea getting a new job was so expensive!

So I got a new job, and so far I am in 289 for an office chair (work from home), a Desk that goes up and down so I don't have to sit all the time, another 250, and since they are giving me a laptop, 2 monitors so I'm not squinting at a 15 inch screen (450)...

All of that should be tax deductible. And also IMO your new company should be paying for it.

But in the grand scheme of things you got off cheap. The sit/stand desks at my job were 10g each. :laugh:
Amen, they scrapped hundreds of the powered sit/stand desks when they moved headquarters. They wouldn’t let us get them for our offices, what a complete waste of money!!!

Tom

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
We offer a laptop, monitor, docking station, printer, keyboard and mouse, as well as a basic desk and chair, to all staff who are home workers. Some staff decline some of the items as they either do not have the space at home or prefer to use their own. I suppose if you are employed as a home worker then you could be expected to provide your own desk and chair but many of our staff have become home workers after their offices were closed during the pandemic. I also receive a modest tax rebate for home working to allow for additional utility bills etc. If you have not worked from home before then I recommend keeping your work and home areas totally separate and keeping to strict office hours, dressing properly for work every day, and taking a full lunch break with some exercise if you can. Congratulations on the new job 👍

In three weeks time you'll recover your cost in gas money alone (one if you live in CA), two weeks if you drive a diesel... I miss teleworking, jus' sayin'

The home offices worked so well for our company they demolished my office and everyone elses too.. They constructed a big confernce room and cubicles with computers for those that want to stop in to use them.

Yeah the company decided a few montsh ago that everyone would stay remote.it's cool. they are sending me 2 24" monitors, so when teh new ones get here they will go on this rig, (2 27" and if I can figure out how, one of these 24s will go on to be 3 monitors SHOULD be doable because the dock is USB-C, for 2 monitors, and there is an HDMI port on the laptop for the third. i will just need to close the laptop I think. I'll find out once the hardware starts rolling in.

We are still restricted to 50% of staff onsite, so we officially have 2 days per week in the office, and 3 days WFH. I absolutely hate WFH, it's nowhere near as productive, sending messages on MS Teams when it's so much easier just going to that person's desk and asking a question. I miss the interaction and the buzz in a busy office.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have been working from a home office for over 10 years. It’s great. Wouldn’t go back. But like people say, structure your work day, with proper start and end times, lunch and breaks. And have a dedicated separate office if you can. Especially if you have wife/kids running around. Discipline and routine are the key.

And I used to have double 27” monitors. But about four years ago I switched to a single 42” 4k monitor. At the higher resolution, it’s the equivalent of having four 24” monitors, and I don’t have to deal with the seams between the monitors, or dragging windows from one monitor to the other.

In three weeks time you'll recover your cost in gas money alone (one if you live in CA), two weeks if you drive a diesel... I miss teleworking, jus' sayin'

And that's a fact. I changed locations for a closer to home one (same job same company) my fuel bill went down from £40 every 10 days to £40 to every 35 to 40 days! And as I'm not traveling so much I get 2 hours of my day back with family and not my Mazda 🙂

And that's a fact. I changed locations for a closer to home one (same job same company) my fuel bill went down from £40 every 10 days to £40 to every 35 to 40 days! And as I'm not traveling so much I get 2 hours of my day back with family and not my Mazda 🙂
That poor Mazda of yours must be puking oil all over now that she neglected ...

Initial investment will be paid back quick by not having to pay for gas, wear and tear on your car, lunches, expensive lattes, extra clothing etc.

I have worked from home almost exclusively for about 25 years and I can’t go back to traffic every day and sitting in a cubicle or office for 8-10 hours a day. 🤮

I have a hell of a collection of sweat pants and Crocs now, too. 👍

"I have a hell of a collection of sweat pants and Crocs now, too"

Sounds like a new thread coming. Show us ya sweat pant or crocs......😉

Going back to the thread, SWMBO gets a week each month WFH and she hates it. No colegue interaction everything done by zoom or teams sometimes just a phone call. She's conditioned to the office and moving to different locations for work after 33yrs in the same job.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Going back to the thread, SWMBO gets a week each month WFH and she hates it. No colegue interaction everything done by zoom or teams sometimes just a phone call. She's conditioned to the office and moving to different locations for work after 33yrs in the same job.

I had a similar issue when I first started working from home regularly. I still loved it. But I missed the camaraderie of working with other people. The lunch room talk. The interaction. That was when I discovered the joys of the local Cigar Lounge. I found a great group of guys, and a couple of gals, that regularly circled in and out of that place. Some of them were literally there every day. That provided me with that interactivity that I missed. I found I could pop open my laptop and work for hours amongst other like minded people. Or just pop in for a nice hour or so, and get a smoke break in. Changed my way of WFH. I am not saying that is the key to your wife's WFH happiness. But there are other ways to get that person to person interaction. Since she does not like WFH, at least she only has deal with for a week a month.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've been working from partly from home since 2008, and exclusively from home since some time in 2010 or 2011 (can't recall exactly). I don't know what it would take to get me back into an office even part time on a regular basis. Having no commute, the comforts of home, and the ability to schedule home maintenance during the day are reason enough, but there are all sorts of advantages.

It took me about a year to get the discipline down, but it never was a big problem. Everything always got done by the time it needed to be if not well before.

While I believe it's probably good advice to keep regular hours, dress for work, etc., I don't do any of that. If I'm up early, then I start early. If I'm done early, I'm done. Sometimes lunch is a quick bite from the fridge, and sometimes I cook something big. Sometimes I work from somewhere else. Sometimes Mrs. TL and I take a "study break." 😉

It's mighty nice and well worth

It's always interesting that one of the views preferring WFH is the commute (or rather lack of it!) - I'm lucky in that Singapore is pretty small (if you drive for more than 30 mins in any direction, you'll end up in the sea!) and my commute is usually only 15 - 20 mins, however, back in the 90s I worked in London but still lived in a place called Ipswich which is a good 80 miles into central London. I took the train and it was one hour ten mins then a 5 min walk to the office, near the Bank of England. I really enjoyed that time, I read the paper, did a crossword. I studied for an MBA and did all the reading on the train. On the way home, I'd have a beer and watch the world pass by the window. That said, driving would not have been so good!!

alishock

I wrap my lips around a lovely pipe
I've just taken a job back in an office as I found the isolation and lack of structure hard to manage. I'll still home work a couple of days a week but I do now have an out. I find the isolation caused me to be indecisive and my self esteem and confidence were so impacted. My commute will only be about 15 miles a day so will probably cycle it but the costs of running a car were, for me, worth it.

I've just taken a job back in an office as I found the isolation and lack of structure hard to manage. I'll still home work a couple of days a week but I do now have an out. I find the isolation caused me to be indecisive and my self esteem and confidence were so impacted. My commute will only be about 15 miles a day so will probably cycle it but the costs of running a car were, for me, worth it.

It’s different for everyone, which is why giving an employee the choice of how much to work from home is the key.

Top Bottom