What's new

Looking to find a brush on amazon

Right now, I use a parker badger silvertip. I am interested in trying something different and have amazon gift card to use for it. (up to 200usd is budget - would prefer not to be wasteful though)

seems like a decent Omega selection, https://www.amazon.com/s?k=omega+brush&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

wondering if any options there would fit the bill? open to other brands too. Also, open to all types, just want to try a different experience then the badger silvertip. Nothing wrong with it, but how can i know what is best for me without trying others 8)

a little curious thoughts on.... is the parker silvertip an okay representation of a silvertip badger?

Im not experienced enough to get into back bone, bands, or other intricate details on my preferences yet.

- a developing noob

If you are looking for something that feels and works differently than what you have I would suggest a boar bristle brush. Synthetics IMHO try to mimic badger characteristics so will be similar to what you have. If you want a good "all around" boar bristle brush you can't do better than the Semogue 1305. It has a very short break in period and no animal smell at all. If you don't like the wooden handle they have the same knot in an acrylic handle-model 830 I believe? Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Those brushes have very soft tips when broken in, almost like a synthetic, but very stiff backbone for when you want to really scrub your face. I love mine.

Just a few questions: (1) Do you bowl, face, or palm lather; (2) Do you like the way the Parker feels and performs; and (3) Do you want a brush that is softer to the face or one similar to the Parker?

Do you want to stay with a badger or are you also looking at boar and synthetic?

assuming my parker is at least a decent representation of a badger brush ( i am sure a Simpson would feel a bit better) I am in interested in a different type of natural (not badger) or synthetic ... open to anything

Just a few questions: (1) Do you bowl, face, or palm lather; (2) Do you like the way the Parker feels and performs; and (3) Do you want a brush that is softer to the face or one similar to the Parker?
1. bowl lather
2. parker is all i know, I don't really experience any problems, i'd say if anything sometimes i have to do a little extra work to get everything even and the lather tends to get stuck (for lack of better words) at bottom of brush. Other than that hmm. by third pass sometimes it feels like i need to wet the bristles a bit even with a fine lather. Not sure exactly how to describe this.
3. at the onset, softer sounds like it would always be better. Similarly, i thought sharper was always better with blades until i started experimenting. So i am unsure. I could go either way. I would certainly not be opposed to a direction away from softer if there is a benefit in that direction.

If you are looking for something that feels and works differently than what you have I would suggest a boar bristle brush. Synthetics IMHO try to mimic badger characteristics so will be similar to what you have. If you want a good "all around" boar bristle brush you can't do better than the Semogue 1305. It has a very short break in period and no animal smell at all. If you don't like the wooden handle they have the same knot in an acrylic handle-model 830 I believe? Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Those brushes have very soft tips when broken in, almost like a synthetic, but very stiff backbone for when you want to really scrub your face. I love mine.
thank you! TBH i think i would prefer to try the different natural options before going synthetic. (especially, if the synthetics primarily try to mimic badger) The Semoque 1305 sounds like a great first option to consider! I will begin to look into it; thanks again! (as long as the handle is not too slick i am fine with it...this is one of my issues with the parker (chrome like handle), but the shape of it does counter the slickness decently to where I have not dropped it...in a while ;)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
OMEGA 011842 Premium Pure Bristle Boar
20200106_210746~2.jpg

Semogue Owners Club (SOC) Premium Boar, Taj Resin Handle
20200120_123910~2.jpg

Both are really wonderful brushes and won't break the bank.

Great for bowl or face lathering. :)

YMMV :)

EDIT: Not sure if these are available on Amazon.

EDIT #2: There are a number of similar, excellent Omega and Semogue Boar brushes on Amazon. :)

Last edited:
Badgers are pretty awesome at making lather, even the lesser quality and priced ones. I would start with trying to address any negatives before jumping into something else. Are there any?

You can certainly get a Simpson for $60 or you can get a decent synthetic for around $20. They both have pros and cons yet both make a fabulous lather.

If you want to try a boar brush, Omega is a good one to consider.

Synthetics, IMHO, are nothing like badger brushes. I prefer badger to boar or synthetics but synthetics are loved by many. An Omega Hi synthetic brush comes close to feeling like a board, IMHO. If you want a synthetic that is soft look to one with a Plissoft knot.

Badgers are pretty awesome at making lather, even the lesser quality and priced ones. I would start with trying to address any negatives before jumping into something else. Are there any?

You can certainly get a Simpson for $60 or you can get a decent synthetic for around $20. They both have pros and cons yet both make a fabulous lather.
no major negatives, just want to feel how other brushes work... I could be fine with brush i have now until it breaks. I just thoroughly enjoy the hobby and like the experimentation element of it. Technique will forever be improving...However, it is decent other than a few trouble areas. I have tested several razors, now testing blades, and i am curious to test brushes as well

If you want to try a boar brush, Omega is a good one to consider.

Synthetics, IMHO, are nothing like badger brushes. I prefer badger to boar or synthetics but synthetics are loved by many. An Omega Hi synthetic brush comes close to feeling like a board, IMHO. If you want a synthetic that is soft look to one with a Plissoft knot.
thank you! i am leaning to trying a boar in the medium price range similar to my parker and then make a call on a high end brush. I was going to just go with the simpson chubby 2 super , but figured i should test out some other types before going all in on badger.

OMEGA 011842 Premium Pure Bristle Boar
View attachment 1073990

Semogue Owners Club (SOC) Premium Boar, Taj Resin Handle
View attachment 1073991

Both are really wonderful brushes and won't break the bank.

Great for bowl or face lathering. :)

EDIT: Not sure if these are available on Amazon.

EDIT #2: There are a number of similar, excellent Omega and Semogue Boar brushes on Amazon. :)
thank you! any specifics that you would suggest of the available options on amazon?

p.s. that tallow steel west indies stuff looks awesome!

I did go ahead an order a Semogue 1305 Superior Boar Bristle Shaving Brush thanks @Tedolph ... open to ordering one more if anybody has any specific other omega or other boar option ideas on Amazon... I think i am currently not interested in synthetic. Natural is just more appealing. Could be convinced otherwise, but for now, that is my feeling.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
thank you! any specifics that you would suggest of the available options on amazon?

p.s. that tallow steel west indies stuff looks awesome!
The Tallow + Steel West Indies soap and aftershave is pretty awesome. :)

Search on Amazon for Omega Shave Brush or Semogue Shave Brush.

The "Pure Bristle" Omega and Semogue Superior or Pure Bristle Boar brushes will be good.

...wondering if any options there would fit the bill? open to other brands too. Also, open to all types, just want to try a different experience then the badger silvertip. Nothing wrong with it, but how can i know what is best for me without trying others 8)...

Since you are interested in experimentation, I would suggest you get two brushes, one boar and one synthetic that are both extremely good, but inexpensive. Total cost for both brushes below would be under $30.

First, the Omega 49 Pro boar brush, no shave den is complete without a big Omega boar. For $8.99, this has to be one of the best bargains you can find!
:biggrin1:

omega-49-black-1.jpg

For synthetic brushes, the Yaqi synthetic horse is a good choice. The handle is quite unique, as well. For $18, a very decent value.

yaqi-rain-1.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Right now, I use a parker badger silvertip. I am interested in trying something different and have amazon gift card to use for it. (up to 200usd is budget - would prefer not to be wasteful though)

seems like a decent Omega selection, https://www.amazon.com/s?k=omega+brush&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

wondering if any options there would fit the bill? open to other brands too. Also, open to all types, just want to try a different experience then the badger silvertip. Nothing wrong with it, but how can i know what is best for me without trying others 8)

a little curious thoughts on.... is the parker silvertip an okay representation of a silvertip badger?

Im not experienced enough to get into back bone, bands, or other intricate details on my preferences yet.

- a developing noob
I recommend the Omega 10048. I’ve used one for 11 years with great s satisfaction.

Since you are interested in experimentation, I would suggest you get two brushes, one boar and one synthetic that are both extremely good, but inexpensive. Total cost for both brushes below would be under $30.

First, the Omega 49 Pro boar brush, no shave den is complete without a big Omega boar. For $8.99, this has to be one of the best bargains you can find!

View attachment 1074019

For synthetic brushes, the Yaqi synthetic horse is a good choice. The handle is quite unique, as well. For $18, a very decent value.

View attachment 1074021
I am very interested in the second. I think you are right. May as well try. Interested in what your thought are on the Semogue 1305 Superior Boar Bristle versus the omega 49? Already ordered the semogue but probably not too late to switch

Top Bottom