What's new

Looking for blade gap, NOT blade exposure

A side-by-side shave of a Karve C plate (.85 exposure) and a Wolfman WR2 (0.95, 1.05 exposure) has led me to conclude that my face prefers razors with blade gap over blade exposure as the method of increasing efficiency. Are there any other razors that have higher blade gap compared to blade exposure. DE or SE - no preference! Thanks!

I'm guessing you mean blade reveal, NOT blade exposure:

1609568434809.png

The king of blade gap (not blade exposure) razors is probably the Merkur Futur.

Even on setting 1 the gap is significant. On setting 6 the gap is huge. If you feel really brave you can go higher (approx setting 10) but at that point you are in effect partially dismantling the razor.

I am sorry. I labeled it wrong. I used a Karve w/ .85 gap and Wolfman w/ .95 & 1.05 gaps. I am looking for other razors with higher gap with less exposure ratio.

A side-by-side shave of a Karve C plate (.85 exposure) and a Wolfman WR2 (0.95, 1.05 exposure) has led me to conclude that my face prefers razors with blade gap over blade exposure as the method of increasing efficiency. Are there any other razors that have higher blade gap compared to blade exposure.
Seems like you are looking for large blade gap and neutral blade exposure. The Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 or Muhle Rocca R94 may interest you. This thread has some discussion on these two razors but not sure about the Timeless OC; Timeless OC vs EJ 3one6 SB - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/timeless-oc-vs-ej-3one6-sb.599322/

Why not customized a favorite razor, and not depend upon a factory in a foreign land to do it for you via guesswork? Just put in a shim or several shims until you determine the gap sweet spot for your face?

A side-by-side shave of a Karve C plate (.85 exposure) and a Wolfman WR2 (0.95, 1.05 exposure) has led me to conclude that my face prefers razors with blade gap over blade exposure as the method of increasing efficiency. Are there any other razors that have higher blade gap compared to blade exposure. DE or SE - no preference! Thanks!
You are like me. I also prefer blade gap over blade exposure. My favorite razor is iKon X3 with a huge gap and almost no blade exposure. I do not iKon's heavy handle so I have paired the X3 head with an aluminum handle.

I have a Parker 97R that has a large blade gap. I can't measure it but it is one of the biggest I have. And the razor is only $28.80 on Amazon. So it won't cost you much to try it. The Parker 97R and 94R have the same head. I love the way they shave BTW.
Here is the Parker:
Parker_01.JPG

Seems like you are looking for large blade gap and neutral blade exposure. The Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 or Muhle Rocca R94 may interest you. This thread has some discussion on these two razors but not sure about the Timeless OC; Timeless OC vs EJ 3one6 SB - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/timeless-oc-vs-ej-3one6-sb.599322/
The Timeless website lists the .65 blade exposure as 0 or neutral. The .95 blade exposure is .002 inches positive. I am not sure what that is in mm.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The Cabon CX ++ plate went that route, increased blade gap, decreased blade exposure. Now they have a - plate that is nearly the same gap as the original but with less exposure.

I liked the ++ plate best but I think it may have been the lesser blade exposure. On the other hand I like the Muhle R41 and I have no idea the exposure or gap on that one, but I think the exposure has to be high.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You have to be careful when comparing blade exposure and blade gap because each MFG of razors can tweak the feel of the blade by just increasing or decreasing the width of the razor from the outside measurements of the safety bar.
Also just having a thick top cap will mellow out a razor with the same gap of a different razor.
So for a example you could have a large gap on a wider razor head and still feel milder than with a different razor with the same gap.(it can be complicated I guess if you get into the MFG of razors)

Safety_Razor_Parameters_around_Blade_Cutting_Edge (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

The king of blade gap (not blade exposure) razors is probably the Merkur Futur.

Even on setting 1 the gap is significant. On setting 6 the gap is huge. If you feel really brave you can go higher (approx setting 10) but at that point you are in effect partially dismantling the razor.
I was going to suggest the Futur as well. The original. I've heard the clones are milder. Rex Ambassador is up there too, but I think the Futur has less exposure at the higher gaps.

My Parker Variant Adjustable has the criteria that you are looking for.
It's blade gap becomes more pronounced with higher settings, but it never comes out, i.e blade exposure remains almost same.
With higher settings, the blade is less bent and vice versa.

Top Bottom