What's new

Let's see those knives!

This is a Custom from Peter Rassenti, it's a integral frame lock flipper with CTS HXP blade steel.....

$photo-6.jpg

This is a Custom by Peter Rassenti, a integral wharnie.....
$166766_175587985924489_1227433588_n.jpg
This is a Custom by Tom Mayo....Large TNT
$525292_182397898576831_1728925970_n.jpg

A few of my favorites,
The one on the left is a damascus Parker. The ones on the right are all customs from MasterDon.
The "gut hooks" have been used many times are are perfect for the job.

al in colorado
$IMG_0172.jpg

From Canada? With an assisted knife? Not allowed, I'm telling :001_tongu
Hard to tell, but one could always argue in courts. Kids...

Excerpt from Memorandum D19-13-2, Identification And Classification

Weapons

Prohibited weapons

18. In order for a good to be classified as a prohibited weapon, it must fall within the Criminal Code definition of "prohibited weapon". Only those weapons may be classified under TI 9898.00.00.

19. Not all weapons are necessarily prohibited. Any weapon that is not specifically prohibited by law will generally be admissible. If a weapon does not meet one or more of the definitions contained in the list of prohibited weapons, please consult the "Other weapons" section below.

20. The definition of prohibited weapon has two components: 1) "Paragraph (a)" weapons, being automatic, centrifugal, or gravity knives; and 2) "Paragraph (b)" weapons, being those laid out explicitly in the Criminal Code subsection 84(1) Regulations, Part 3. Section 84(1) of the Criminal Code states that a prohibited weapon is:

(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife; or
(b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon.
"Paragraph (a)" weapons

21. Weapons that fall under paragraph (a) include the following:

(a) Automatic knife (switchblade) – An automatic knife that houses a blade that will open automatically by hand pressure applied to a lever or button in or attached to the handle (but not on the blade) of the knife. The blade is released by pressure on the lever or button, and opens with the assistance of an internal spring or mechanism.
(b) Centrifugal knife (folding knife, butterfly knife, balisong knife) – A centrifugal knife is one that opens automatically through the use of centrifugal force. Centrifugal force may be defined as a force, arising from the body's inertia, which appears to act on a body moving in a circular path and is directed away from the centre around which the body is moving. That is, centrifugal force is established when the blade of the knife may be opened with the flick of the wrist. Note that extra manipulation and a requirement for some skill to release the blade do not prevent a knife from being a prohibited weapon. A balisong or butterfly knife is a form of centrifugal knife with two handles that counter-rotate around the blade such that, when closed, the blade is concealed within grooves in the handles.
(c) Gravity knife – A gravity knife is a knife which may be opened automatically by force of gravity. The knife may be additionally controlled by a lever or button, but typically, applying pressure to such a device and pointing the knife downward will result in the knife's blade releasing and locking into place.
Exception: The following type of knife does not generally meet the definition of prohibited weapon, and therefore it is not within the purview of TI 9898.00.00. The misuse of this knife may nonetheless be punishable under other laws.
22. Torsion bar assisted-opening knives (folding knife, speed-safe knife, spring-assisted knife) – Folding knives that use an internal "torsion bar" to assist in opening them with one hand. The heart of this opening system is the torsion bar in the handle of the knife. In order to open the knife, the user must apply manual pressure to a thumb stud or other protrusion on the blade, thereby overcoming the resistance of the torsion bar. After the blade is moved partially out of the handle by this manual pressure, the torsion bar takes over.

23. In some cases, torsion bar assisted-opening knives can be opened automatically by gravity or centrifugal force. If this is the case, these knives would fall within the definition of prohibited weapon, and be prohibited under TI 9898.00.00 unless an exemption in that tariff item applies.

Out with the old In with the new

Kershaw Knockout, and Spyderco Manix 2

$2014-04-03 01.12.08.jpg

the Kershaw is very stiff, Im guessing because its assist open it has some break in time needed, but trying to use the thumbs studs I almost ended up taking the tip of my thumb off having the blade fly out ahead, I think ill stick with the flipped till it loosens up a bit. Its a blem blade I got at a fantastic price, thats why the blade has the "XXXX" on it, although those X's actually look really cool, it also means no warranty on the blade. Funny thing is I cant see a blem anywhere, pretty sure my usages is going to mark it up more in the next few days, if I bought that full pop and this is what I got, I would have been happy as heck, there is a scuff on the clip you can only see under certain light conditions, but figure they would have just swapped the clip out if that was it, no matter what, I like this one

But I like the Spyderco more, the blade shape, and the lighter weight make this one an instant winner for what I need in a blade
Having the blade curve more forward, and a lower tip angle let me get into boxes more securely without going to deep, specially with that forward choil half blade/handle area. its also flat ground so If i do need to fut up some cardboard, it will pass through well

Happy with both, hopefully these last me another 20 years or so like my last blades

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
the Kershaw is very stiff, Im guessing because its assist open it has some break in time needed, but trying to use the thumbs studs I almost ended up taking the tip of my thumb off having the blade fly out ahead, I think ill stick with the flipped till it loosens up a bit. Its a blem blade I got at a fantastic price, thats why the blade has the "XXXX" on it, although those X's actually look really cool, it also means no warranty on the blade. Funny thing is I cant see a blem anywhere, pretty sure my usages is going to mark it up more in the next few days, if I bought that full pop and this is what I got, I would have been happy as heck, there is a scuff on the clip you can only see under certain light conditions, but figure they would have just swapped the clip out if that was it, no matter what, I like this one

I carry a Kershaw Skyline everyday. I don't think the thumb stud is for opening the blade. If it is then it is a complete fail in that regard. I have never been able to open it using that and I don't even try anymore.
I use the "fin" that sticks out when the blade is closed. I use my index finger and pull it toward me in conjunction with a flip of the wrist and it flips open with ease.

$Screen Shot 2014-04-03 at 9.59.11 AM.png

your thumbs are for lockup... mt thumbs dont contact the handle they are really thumbstuds... that im afraid to touch lol

Skyline studs are a blade stop not for opening.

I agree, but it can still be done.

Knives that have a flipper option, are generally designed around it. Most knives come tight from the factory and can be adjusted, through the pivot screw, to be easier to deploy both in the flipper and thumb stud.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow I had no idea how cool these were. the mini grips really do need to be in hand to fully appreciate. this is a custom from an online source that had it cheaper then through benchmade plus had a discount code on top of that. has the s30v steel and these crazy cool neon green scales$IMG_20140411_135932.jpg$IMG_20140411_135950.jpg

Top Bottom