What's new

Lapping film PIF

Well my sample arrived on Thursday and I used the 3 micron and 1 micron film to touch up three razors. Two Torry's and a Dovo Best. I bought a piece of Marble tile from Home Depot sprayed some water on it laid the film on it pressed out the bubbles and went to town. I gotta tell ya, this is really easy. I got really nice edges on all three razors. It almost feels like cheating! I will be adding this to my honing arsenal for sure.

Phil, got the envelope today, thanks a lot! :thumbup1:

I took my trusty Gotta 120 and did a few passes over my thumbnail to dull it a bit and went to work.

I used my Shapton stone holder and put the films on top of a 8x3" C12K

Started with the 5 micron film, just went by feel and how the razor behaved on the film, I didn't count but I'd guess around 100 laps, before moving on to the 3 micron.
Did about 60 laps on 3 and 60 laps on 1 micron before giving it 12 laps on a CrOx pasted leather strop.
Then stropping as normal post-honing, 60 laps on linen and 150 on leather.

Most excellent edge, sharp and very smooth, top notch!

This was fun to try, and very simple in use.

:smile:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Phil, got the envelope today, thanks a lot! :thumbup1:

I took my trusty Gotta 120 and did a few passes over my thumbnail to dull it a bit and went to work.

I used my Shapton stone holder and put the films on top of a 8x3" C12K

Started with the 5 micron film, just went by feel and how the razor behaved on the film, I didn't count but I'd guess around 100 laps, before moving on to the 3 micron.
Did about 60 laps on 3 and 60 laps on 1 micron before giving it 12 laps on a CrOx pasted leather strop.
Then stropping as normal post-honing, 60 laps on linen and 150 on leather.

Most excellent edge, sharp and very smooth, top notch!

This was fun to try, and very simple in use.

:smile:

So could this be the best starter set up? Poor man's Nortons/Naniwa/Shapton/Coticule?

So could this be the best starter set up? Poor man's Nortons/Naniwa/Shapton/Coticule?

With a 1k stone for bevels, yeah for for sure. And it could be the ideal travel solution as well, you can just put the film on top of a book or something, there's always a bible in a hotel room. And now finally there's a use for it. :wink2:

I'll try the 0,3 micron as well, but the 1 micron and a little CroX left little to desire really, it was a really nice edge!

This is the easiest system I have used so far. Glad the kit got there OK.

If the blade isn't damages the 1k is not needed in my opinion. You can sub in a piece of wet/dry sandpaper for a repair.

Phil

Another day, another clean shaved face using the lapping film honed Gotta.
An edge very much to my liking, not very different from a nice Shapton edge.

Just did a 1/4 hollow razor on the films, up for tomorrows shave.

The only downside to the lapping films is that they don't have the sexy honing feel of a smooth stone, but that's a minor trade-off :smile:

*EDIT* - read post below - oops

So first off, I just want to thank you again Pkrankow for allowing me to try the film. Moreover, because I was doing a review, I really focused on my shave tonight – more than normal. It made it a fantastic and fun shave.

Here is what I did: Yesterday using my Boker 4/8 extra hollow (great shaver!), I went 40 strokes black, 40 red, 60 green, 60 white; then took the blade to my strop.

Tonight I did my thing; shower, made one of the best lathers ever, and then after rubbing the alum over my fingers to add grip, I went at it. The very first thing I noted was thatthe blade “sang” more than normal. Then, I almost felt as though I was using an old cart. In that it felt as though the blade was pulling up the hair before cutting. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t “pulling” per se, just felt like it compared to my normal shave.

After my first run I thought I would give the face a wet-down and feel how well it worked – still considerable stubble. Ok so pass number two. It was smoother. I was having fun, but when it was done (normally I can end after my second pass but still do touch-ups here and there), I noted that I still had stubble over my entire face. Pass three ended and I needed a fourth!! Thank goodness I made a great lather.

After the forth pass it felt like an ok shave. I ran the alum over my face… well after four passes (I have never done four before) I got to say - it tingled lol. Threw on some aftershave and went outside fora cigar to write this.

I don’t know if I did something wrong, but I wouldn’t say after this experience that I would want to do it again. Next shave (unless you can tell me to try this or that) with my little Boker, I am going to run her over some Dovo Green as I normally do every other shave or so and strop. This has been working very well for me on all my blades.

Again – thanks for the experience! I don’t know why but my face looks great after this shave lol, but it wasn’t the smoothest or most efficient. That’s my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Oh man – this is so embarrassing!! :blush: I woke up this morning thinking… this doesn’t make sense! I would delete my last post but, well it’s all about learning!

I BLEW IT!! I re-read Slash’s recommendations and, “You will be HONING, not stropping on your film, generally. That means that the edgeleads, and the spine trails. Don't lead with the spine, as a general rule. Keepyour pressure very very light.” Oops… I’ll try again tomorrow.

Oh man – this is so embarrassing!! :blush: I woke up this morning thinking… this doesn’t make sense! I would delete my last post but, well it’s all about learning!

I BLEW IT!! I re-read Slash’s recommendations and, “You will be HONING, not stropping on your film, generally. That means that the edgeleads, and the spine trails. Don't lead with the spine, as a general rule. Keepyour pressure very very light.” Oops… I’ll try again tomorrow.

I have found that stropping a few laps on the film when you first paste it down gets all the air bubbles out. Stropping instead of honing alters edge forming dynamics. I used to hone knives by stropping on a hone. It works, sorta, and then someone sat with me and taught. Big difference. Turns out my Dad was "doing it wrong" too.

Now, I do half-laps, where edge first, the spine first without lifting the blade, this is based on some videos I watched. So I did 30 half-laps, flipped, 30 half-laps, flip 30 half laps, flip 30 half laps, then 30 honing laps, edge leading, rolling the blade every stroke. I did this on every grade, with an extra 30 honing laps on the 0.3

I used a GD66, it did not hone (sadness, I think the blade is junk, it hasn't honed ever) and I used a Red Imp 133 (known good blade)

I think I used too much pressure finishing because the blade was only hht2 (lengthwise splitting) but shaved OK, but not as smooth as my coticule edges. I think I will get paper under the 0.3 for the last round of finishing next time.

Phil

Last edited:
Well I gave it another shot tonight - I will not bore you all with the details, but my conclusion is that my Coti, Dovo green paste, strop system is a smoother shave (for me).
Thanks agian! It was great fun giving it a go!

David, I am not surprised that you find a Coti/Paste combo being smoother than the films, but how would you compare the sharpness of the edge?

David, I am not surprised that you find a Coti/Paste combo being smoother than the films, but how would you compare the sharpness of the edge?

It’s hard to put into words but; it was like my whiskers “popped off” with the film where the paste kind of melts my whiskers off. I know that sounds weird but… It may be that the film is sharper.

I only did it the once so take what I am saying with a grain of salt too.

Top Bottom