What's new

La Lune Special Stone...Anybody got one?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A vintage Special Stone OFGR was saved and rescued to add the the collection. A large, old school silver blue, 5 3/4 x 3 1/8 with it’s heavy bevel and funky glazed hand feel. A very cool layer transects with diagonal angles. A dozen light x-strokes with glycerin but a laser edge on a tugger. Pictured next to its smaller SSOFGR cousin

EB4CC80B-2779-4F41-B588-4ED6878CA550.jpeg
F1CA4F51-7635-4D48-B0B3-D652240E4A1B.jpeg
B1DA9D42-17D3-4C23-BE3F-3FC8C6F9D5FD.jpeg
03FBA889-BE80-44D5-9199-89E85CE4A105.jpeg
AEFBA066-2B86-434E-8DE4-FD355B89FDE5.jpeg
36918146-F1E2-4E6C-A8FF-86B3E9CF0B4D.png

Last edited:
Because of someone pushing my HAD button (thanks Steve) and the fact that I hadn't bought a hone in over a year...
IMG_20221116_054943311.jpg

It came with a nice big rubber. I know the label is water proof according to what Ive read but Im sealing it anyway. Will be making a nice box for it soon. Hoping to fnd it gives a razor a fine keen edge with a level of comfort.
It says extra-fine so how can i go wrong. Lol

Because of someone pushing my HAD button (thanks Steve) and the fact that I hadn't bought a hone in over a year...View attachment 1557855

It came with a nice big rubber. I know the label is water proof according to what Ive read but Im sealing it anyway. Will be making a nice box for it soon. Hoping to fnd it gives a razor a fine keen edge with a level of comfort.
WAIT!!! Mine didn't have an extra fine stamp! Should I buy one in barbers delight size? You guys are killing me. I didn't realize 1stone had grades of fine and extra fine in their stone selection! I want one of their beautiful coticules too anyways so.... thanks a lot guys, if I ever decide to sell my stones I'll be able to retire because of you guys!

I discussed the other day with Nicolas on facebook, he taught me things I didn't know: La Lune stones at the time did not leave the workshop with the "Fine/extra Fine" it is at the wholesaler of Paris Birolleaux that the stamp was made, the mention Fine/extra Fine is more a commercial argument according to Nicolas.

Nicolas is quite mysterious because he told me that he did not make the stamps on all the stones because he respects the old customs of the manufacturers because they themselves did not make it on all the stones, so obviously some have it and others do not. In any case I understood that he was very informed about la lune stones because he personally knows the grandchildren of the manufacturer of the time with whom he speaks regularly.

Because of someone pushing my HAD button (thanks Steve) and the fact that I hadn't bought a hone in over a year...View attachment 1557855

Please share your experience after you have tried the stone.
I think i am going to revisit one of mine. I think i may have used mine the wrong way. This stone (at leas mine is) hard, but still scratches easily. I think i need to be more careful when i generate slurry to avoid larger particles being released.
I am starting to think that using slurry on these is not that good.

I have one of those Lalune-coticule hybrid combination stones.

With snow on the ground and me being a truck driver im not going to have much of s chance for a while to try the stone. But the label is sealed and the chains are on the truck tires.

I will share my experiance when i get the chance.
Slurry is made lightly on any stone. No need to rub hard. It may take a few minutes on some stones but a light slurry is all you need anyway. Good luck

Reactions: JPO
@bobberonroad Nicholas may know the history of these stones very well, but I do not think that the stones he sells are the same as in the past. In the past, Pierre La Lune/ Special Stone Only For Good Razors branded stones may have been sold in many different variations,types or colours. We know this. but none of them are like the stones that Nicholas is currently selling. New ones visually they look more like rouge du salm/lorraine stones.

When we talked about this Extra Fine stamp conversation with Nicholas, he described it as ''commercial''. Why does he use such a stamp on the stones he sells now? I'm not surprised. :)

Last year he described these stones as 12k-15k (natural stones are not classified as such. I know this. Nicholas does not know this) on his web page. recently changed it to 10k-12k. Now, when I entered the web page, this statement was completely removed. don't be surprised if it says 6-8k next year :)

I also have one of the newly produced Pierre La Lune stones, but this stone is no better than any Thuringian/Escher or Jnats I have. Not even close. As a finisher of course.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It‘s common in Europe to assign grit ratings to natural stones. It doesn’t matter to me, but it bothers some people on this side of the pond more than it should.

I have two of them actually, the modern ones from Nicholas, the purple high grit stones. Both of mine are excellent razor finishers. The only criticism is that the edge on oil or clear water is a bit ‘hot’ in terms of aggressiveness, but the edge is very smooth.

I also have a vintage ‘blue’ OFGR and like it marginally better for the slightly less aggressive edge that it makes, but the difference in the speed, fineness, and edge feel is not huge.

I'm happy for you Steve. Grit ratings are a long story, but I think from the beginning they make natural stones difficult to understand. Especially for newbies and beginners. I would like to share my own experiences with Pierre La Lune later.

Can you tell me about your progress? What type of steel did you test with razors? 115crv3, C100,c135, O1 etc. And what types of razors? Have you tested razors such as Full Hollow, Extra Hollow, as well as less concave razors such as Wedge, Quarter Hollow?

Ive had my la lune for some time now, and have the following user thoughts on my
8x2.5
Its an amazing razor hone , easy to use and is versatile but like all individual naturals must be learned to extract best results

Mine had a grit rating of 15 k when purchased,,,,,

Regardless of ratings i get a smooth sharp or sharper edge user ability to dial in,,,

My only neg,,, looking back

Wish stone was 1 inch
Considering asking if a stone can be cut special order

Stone stays in rotation,,,with other naturals, coti ark escher woa,, jnats , depending on edge cravings

This slice i own seems excellent choice cut excellent for razors and has given me marvelous edges
When I received my stone i was not happy about discoloration on one side that had sticker,,, i removed sticker and use both side, shown my preferred side never slurred just water glycerin or oil or soap
Just reporting
DE20544B-1C97-4D6D-A806-818E7D56255D.jpeg

A couple old La Lune stones directly from the expert Nicolas. Got a pairing of the purple and the metalic grey special stone. As everyone always says the sheen on these stones is very unique. I dont think any of my other mystery stones that I thought could of been La Lune actually are unless oil/grime effects them. Excited to try them out and see how they compare. Initially impressions have them finer and slower than expected.

20230401_113306.jpg

20230401_113441.jpg

20230401_113544.jpg

A couple old La Lune stones directly from the expert Nicolas. Got a pairing of the purple and the metalic grey special stone. As everyone always says the sheen on these stones is very unique. I dont think any of my other mystery stones that I thought could of been La Lune actually are unless oil/grime effects them. Excited to try them out and see how they compare. Initially impressions have them finer and slower than expected.

View attachment 1630706
View attachment 1630710
View attachment 1630708
My old one is slower than my newly mined one too. It's a little softer as well.

I also have one of the newly mined La Lunes, and mine is a great finisher. I would say 12K easily. I was highly impressed with it!

I was using it on every razor for a time, but i like to use all my stones. But, I still use it often..

I also have one of the newly mined La Lunes, and mine is a great finisher. I would say 12K easily. I was highly impressed with it!

I was using it on every razor for a time, but i like to use all my stones. But, I still use it often..
On my new one I have to finish with a really light slurry or on lather. If I just use plain water the edge is far too aggressive and I inevitably take a nick out of my neck with it. I get used to using coticule pressure which is a no-go when shaving off my La Lune.

How do you get the best results?
I have a purple and a sparkling black one.
Should I use it as an oil stone? Slurry seems to do more harm then good.
I get sharp edges, but a little too much aftershave feedback.

On my new one I have to finish with a really light slurry or on lather. If I just use plain water the edge is far too aggressive and I inevitably take a nick out of my neck with it. I get used to using coticule pressure which is a no-go when shaving off my La Lune.
My experience has been the same..

@JPO You can create slurry first and then add oil. In my opinion, it is not a very successful stone as a finisher. One stone honing ability is available. and when I used it this way, I got much more successful results. you can use it similar to the dilucot method and you can make the final with oil and little slurry.

Reactions: JPO
Top Bottom