What's new

Karve Goatlander Brotherhood (KGB)

Enjoying mine.
P4010001.jpeg

This is a timely startup. I’ve mostly used Hensons since I started DE shaving, but I wanted to branch out a little bit, and I just happen to have an Overlander due to arrive tomorrow! I’m looking forward to an afternoon maiden voyage, provided the mail doesn’t come too late.

7E9D5181-97AF-4B58-8604-C769B1C1DC88.jpeg

Maiden Voyage
For the first shave with a new razor, I mostly play it safe - 3 passes (N-to-S, ear-to-chin, S-to-N), nothing crazy like j-hooks or Gillette slides, and minimal clean-up. This is more about getting to know the the razor a little bit and minimizing bloodshed. I'll try to really test what it can do more later. I went with an Indian GWS on its second shave. It's proven to be a "sharp enough" blade for my whiskers, and a bit safer than super-sharp blades like Feather and such.

The aluminum Overlander is light and maneuverable with a nice slim head. I took much of the first 2 passes to get the angle dialed in, but it seems to have a good shaving range. I don't like to shave too steep, so it was nice that I could hear it cutting apart from some lighter/sparser areas of my cheeks.

The end result I’d rate as a DFS, on the cusp of DFS+, which I’m very happy with for a first shave. My neck is definitely rougher than I usually like to end up with, but I really require some j-hooks there to get all the odd growth directions. My right jawline and goatee area are also not quite smooth and could have used more cleanup, though my left jawline actually is. And there’s a small miss on my right cheek where I must have lifted the bar too much ATG. Remarkably, I got away without a single weeper - it remains to be seen if I can keep that up when I start trying for a closer shave, but this is unusual for me even with a razor I know very well, so I’ll take it! Post-shave, my face feels great, no irritation at all.

This was a very promising start. I’ll be interested to see how the Overlander compares to my Henson and other razors when I really start testing it. I tend to spend a few weeks to really try out a razor, and due to a recent mild case of RAD, I have 3 others also awaiting an extended trial. I haven't decided what order I’ll try them in, so it might be a hot minute before I get back to the Overlander, but I’m really looking forward to it!

I have the GC .68 but for some reason I was thinking either the Overlander or Henson would be a better fit. Somewhere along the way I decided to wait for the Overlander aluminum to return to stock and go with that. These reviews help. Thanks.
Wise decision 👌

Top Bottom