What's new

Karve Bison

Is he going to release the bison in ss ever?
Of course Chris may have ideas for that option in the future. I had a conversation with him a few months ago and he mentioned that his idea for the Bison was to fill the under $100 Can niche. The thinking is that he wanted to attract beginners to DE shaving. They might be more reluctant to spend more for their first razor.

Of course Chris may have ideas for that option in the future. I had a conversation with him a few months ago and he mentioned that his idea for the Bison was to fill the under $100 Can niche. The thinking is that he wanted to attract beginners to DE shaving. They might be more reluctant to spend more for their first razor.
I get that. I just can't use aluminum razors unless I'm going at mach speed with them. Otherwise they tug

Think both Stainless, and Brass could be down the road in year.

Chris was at AZ WET SHAVE MERT UP, he is small shop, has small staff, so he said he can on produce what he can.

Apparently business is too good, and he seem like guy who is about ONLY doing what he can.

Think he has high quality standards, so he is not going to do more then he can do right.

I just got my Bison this week. I was interested in a Henson, but decided on the Bison because they appears to be similar in concept, and Karve specializes in making razors, whereas Henson makes satellite parts and got into the DE safety razor business. There was a bit of a snag where I waited 3 weeks for delivery and nothing happened (shipped Canada to California). Then I contacted Chris to ask if he could track if it was stuck in Customs. It turned out that he overlooked my shipment when I ordered early February (although I got a confirmation). But he was apologetic and made it up by upgrading the shipping with DHL, so I received it in two days. No big deal.

I haven't used too many razors prior to this one. For many years I only used the Merkur 34C. This year I bought the Rockwell 6C and a Gillette Slim off ebay (I think it's 1965?). So far the Rockwell gave me the best shave.

I tried the news Bison two days ago with a new Nacet. I figured I'd try it with a familiar blade. It shaved quite well overall. Lots of audible feedback, cut through really well and with no skin irritation. The only issue is that I felt some grabbiness, tugging and pulling on certain spots. I have pretty thick facial hair. Because of that grabby feeling on certain spots, today I tried a Feather blade on a two-day growth. With the Feather and two-days growth, it felt even more grabby on more spots. I got two "dot" nicks, but that was probably driver error (happened in the same spot with other razors before). The only prep I do is a hot shower, which works well with the 6S and has worked well most of the time with the Merkur, although I did get the same grabby/pulling with the Merkur some times in the past but not always.

I will try with a couple of different blades (BIC is next) and maybe do a little more prepping with some oil to see if it improves. Time will tell.

I just got my Bison this week. I was interested in a Henson, but decided on the Bison because they appears to be similar in concept, and Karve specializes in making razors, whereas Henson makes satellite parts and got into the DE safety razor business. There was a bit of a snag where I waited 3 weeks for delivery and nothing happened (shipped Canada to California). Then I contacted Chris to ask if he could track if it was stuck in Customs. It turned out that he overlooked my shipment when I ordered early February (although I got a confirmation). But he was apologetic and made it up by upgrading the shipping with DHL, so I received it in two days. No big deal.

I haven't used too many razors prior to this one. For many years I only used the Merkur 34C. This year I bought the Rockwell 6C and a Gillette Slim off ebay (I think it's 1965?). So far the Rockwell gave me the best shave.

I tried the news Bison two days ago with a new Nacet. I figured I'd try it with a familiar blade. It shaved quite well overall. Lots of audible feedback, cut through really well and with no skin irritation. The only issue is that I felt some grabbiness, tugging and pulling on certain spots. I have pretty thick facial hair. Because of that grabby feeling on certain spots, today I tried a Feather blade on a two-day growth. With the Feather and two-days growth, it felt even more grabby on more spots. I got two "dot" nicks, but that was probably driver error (happened in the same spot with other razors before). The only prep I do is a hot shower, which works well with the 6S and has worked well most of the time with the Merkur, although I did get the same grabby/pulling with the Merkur some times in the past but not always.

I will try with a couple of different blades (BIC is next) and maybe do a little more prepping with some oil to see if it improves. Time will tell.

Pay attention to whether you are on the safety bar or top cap and use a really sharp blade. A Feather with a consistent angle should not 'grab' or leave weepers.

Understanding your beard "map" will also help your shave a lot.

There was a bit of a snag where I waited 3 weeks for delivery and nothing happened (shipped Canada to California). Then I contacted Chris to ask if he could track if it was stuck in Customs. It turned out that he overlooked my shipment when I ordered early February (although I got a confirmation). But he was apologetic and made it up by upgrading the shipping with DHL, so I received it in two days. No big deal.
A page out of my book. Sorry we have this shared experience. But as it turned out, the Overlander was worth waiting for. I hope your Bison works out as well.

Pay attention to whether you are on the safety bar or top cap and use a really sharp blade. A Feather with a consistent angle should not 'grab' or leave weepers.

Understanding your beard "map" will also help your shave a lot.
Thanks. Good points. I will try to pay better attention to the angle, and I do have yet to map out my grain directions.

Reactions: Kix
decided on the Bison because they appears to be similar in concept, and Karve specializes in making razors, whereas Henson makes satellite parts and got into the DE safety razor business.
Hate to break it to you but...

Karve Shaving Co.
This website is operated by Karve Machine Inc. trading as Karve Shaving Co.

But really, what does it matter how each got in to the razor business? Personally, I appreciate the skills both probably learned while machining for tight tolerances in their respective industries before branching in to razors.

Hate to break it to you but...
:001_huh:The more you know... I had read that Karve was a "one man operation," which led me to believe that was his specialty based on experience.

But really, what does it matter how each got in to the razor business? Personally, I appreciate the skills both probably learned while machining for tight tolerances in their respective industries before branching in to razors.
That depends as far as I am concerned. If they did their research and tested out their products comprehensively to really put forth a good quality product, then it doesn't matter. If they went into the business to jump on the bandwagon to grab a piece of the market, you sometimes end up with a lower quality product/service (other industries and fields). Nothing wrong with making a profit, but I rather support those that try to provide a high quality product that performs well. But I still haven't given up on this Bison. Maybe someday I'll compare it to the Henson.

Its probably too light. You'll have to make quicker strokes with the razor to compensate

@Sethology gives good advice. I tend to think about it as using short and assertive strokes. I don't shave any faster.

Another thing that bit me and many others is the temptation to add pressure with a light razor. Keep focusing on a light touch, even with assertive strokes. These two things will likely make the Bison shine for you. You've got this!

Happy shaves!

@Sethology gives good advice. I tend to think about it as using short and assertive strokes. I don't shave any faster.

Another thing that bit me and many others is the temptation to add pressure with a light razor. Keep focusing on a light touch, even with assertive strokes. These two things will likely make the Bison shine for you. You've got this!

Happy shaves!

For me, with lighter DE razors, I DO NEED TO USE MORE PRESSURE for good results. YMMV but, be careful if you up the pressure the first few shaves.

full

Karve Bison | Dorco Prime | Declaration Grooming Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli | Stirling's Finest Badger | Speick ASL

Terrific 2-pass shave today with the Bison. It's a great razor. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom