What's new

Karve Bison

Since this is the main Bison thread, I should post this here:

Of the few shaves I've had with the Bison, I never really got used to using such a light razor. And this has mainly given me trouble analyzing how it shaves. On the suggestion of @catchacoolbreeze, I used my SS Overlander handle with the Bison head. This made a huge difference for me. It basically stabilized my shaving motions, letting the Bison head do its work.

full
Karve Bison w/SS handle | Gillette Nacet | Barbasol 1919 as Pre-Shave | Stirling's Glacial Electric Sheep | Stirling's Synthetic 26mm | Stirling's Glacial PS Balm | Mennen Skin Bracer

This morning was a darn good shave. Three passes delivered an easy BBS shave. The smoothness of the Bison really stood out ... but what surprised was how comfortable the fools pass was on my mustache area. It was like a hot knife through butter. This shave wasn't without its hiccups, though. I did manage to give myself a few weepers.

Overall, I think the Bison surprised me. Perhaps a hair less gentle than the Overlander -- yet maybe even smoother -- and just as effective. I wouldn't be surprised if you hear people say they like the Bison more than the Overlander. I'm going to get a few more shaves in to see if this impression holds up.

Just an FYI, the Barbasol 1919 works spectacularly well as a pre-shave. I build my lather right over the Barbasol and it seems to level up my shaves.

I just had my second shave with the exact setup above (2nd Use Nacet). Another great shave. The Bison seems to be the real deal -- smooth, efficient -- the against the grain is phenomenal. You need to take care with your trouble spots. Weepers are more possible than with the Overlander. Overall, this is a great razor.

This morning's shave was my last using the same setup from above. Using the SS handle has let me know what the Bison can achieve. But I need to get accustomed to using the Bison's aluminum handle.

Anyway, I had another fantastic shave with the Bison. Everything I've said above about the Bison in my last comment stands. It's a great razor. But let me add just a little bit more.

The Bison is a gentle, smooth razor. Using it, I had no fear of cutting myself. It's very much like the Overlander in this sense. Though the Bison is a hair more efficient than the Overlander, and with that extra efficiency the potential for a weeper or two is there. Again, the fool's pass with the Bison is like butter. I'm just amazed at how gentle yet efficient it is.

Regarding gentleness and efficiency. I would place the Bison in between the Overlander and the Lambda Athena. The Athena being more efficient but less gentle. And the Overlander being less efficient and more gentle. And that is a very tiny jump between.

This morning's shave was my last using the same setup from above. Using the SS handle has let me know what the Bison can achieve. But I need to get accustomed to using the Bison's aluminum handle.

Anyway, I had another fantastic shave with the Bison. Everything I've said above about the Bison in my last comment stands. It's a great razor. But let me add just a little bit more.

The Bison is a gentle, smooth razor. Using it, I had no fear of cutting myself. It's very much like the Overlander in this sense. Though the Bison is a hair more efficient than the Overlander, and with that extra efficiency the potential for a weeper or two is there. Again, the fool's pass with the Bison is like butter. I'm just amazed at how gentle yet efficient it is.

Regarding gentleness and efficiency. I would place the Bison in between the Overlander and the Lambda Athena. The Athena being more efficient but less gentle. And the Overlander being less efficient and more gentle. And that is a very tiny jump between.

Thank you for this comparison! Which one do you prefer among the overlander, athena and bison?

Thank you!

Thank you for this comparison! Which one do you prefer among the overlander, athena and bison?

Thank you!
I need to get a shave or two in with the Overlander to tell. But right now I am really liking the Bison. It's probably a toss up between the Overlander and Bison over the Athena. But I am struck by how great a shaver the Bison is.

Edit to add: One caveat, the Bison is only available in the very light aluminum. If you aren't used to using such a light razor you may not like it. It took me using the heavier SS handle to finally see how well it shaves.

I need to get a shave or two in with the Overlander to tell. But right now I am really liking the Bison. It's probably a toss up between the Overlander and Bison over the Athena. But I am struck by how great a shaver the Bison is.

Yes for now I hesitate about getting a bison because I do not like lightweight razor. The overlander is my favorite razor and I did not try the athena.

stunning picture💥 have a overlander-order pending, urge to add the bison is strong...👅
I did that when I ordered my Overlander. I couldn't resist the urge. But the Bison sat around for a while; while I used the Overlander and another razor.

I also have an order in for an aluminum Overlander. My original Overlander is in stainless steel. I need to try it in a lighter metal just to see how it compares with the Bison.

Top Bottom