What's new

Just received a Feather AC

He's right about the longer time to stubble! I was looking forward to this morning's shave with the AC but there wasn't enough stubble to bother with. There might be enough by tomorrow morning. If this state of affairs keeps up, I might have to use the DE to get some fun EVERY day...

Gareth

I use the Super Pros. I have some Pros as well and I have never tried the blades with the guards. The Super Pros have given me consistently great shaves.

I have both the Western (folding) and the Eastern (non-folding) version of the Feather AC, and I find it much easier to navigate the facial contours with the Eastern version. Either version allows you to tailor the angle of the blade to accomodate your facial terrain which is something I could not do as well with a DE.

So Ricardo,

Given the choice of only buying one of these, either the Eastern or Western, what would you choose and why?

Cheers
John

So Ricardo,

Given the choice of only buying one of these, either the Eastern or Western, what would you choose and why?

Cheers
John

If I had to choose between the Eastern and Western versions of the Feather AC, I would choose the Eastern version. For me the non-folding version of the AC is more versatile in the "difficult to shave" spots. The scales of the folding version get in the way for some spots, even if I choke up onto the blade holder.

The only downside is you must set the non-folding version down into its special holder when you want to put it down, since its blade is always exposed. The non-folding version comes with the holder. The scales of the folding version act to conceal the exposed edge when the razor is not being used, so it does not require a special holder.

If I had to choose between the Eastern and Western versions of the Feather AC, I would choose the Eastern version. For me the non-folding version of the AC is more versatile in the "difficult to shave" spots. The scales of the folding version get in the way for some spots, even if I choke up onto the blade holder.

The only downside is you must set the non-folding version down into its special holder when you want to put it down, since its blade is always exposed. The non-folding version comes with the holder. The scales of the folding version act to conceal the exposed edge when the razor is not being used, so it does not require a special holder.

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for that answer, I had not even thought of that potential problem of having to always place the Eastern back in it's special holder.

I kinda like the idea of the Eastern style for me to try. As a spec wearer who must stand as close to the mirror as possible to see what I'm doing, and while using a straight I'm forever tap tapping that mirror with the scales. I never seem to be able to stand close enough to the mirror and try and keep the scales out of the way at the same time. And it can happen at the most unexpected moment, when I usually jump at the same time with some very bloody results.

I assume these Feathers are slightly shorter in length than a conventional straight, and maybe just a bit more user friendly for some of the more difficult places to shave?

Cheers
John

PS I have found this thread to be very interesting, and it has almost convinced me into trying a Feather.

Funny I should see this... I just received a feather ac as well :biggrin:

I was told the stainless versions actually shave better and are more forgiving.... thinking this is b/s, and me not being particularly intelligent :biggrin: I decided to investigate.

I was told the stainless versions actually shave better and are more forgiving.... thinking this is b/s, and me not being particularly intelligent :biggrin: I decided to investigate.

Joel,

You certainly do have the enquiring mind don't you. He who has Tosuke's and
Iwasaki's, I would have thought there would be no comparison?

Is this the Feather ac?

Cheers
John

Joel,

You certainly do have the enquiring mind don't you. He who has Tosuke's and
Iwasaki's, I would have thought there would be no comparison?

Is this the Feather ac?

Cheers
John

John,
No sir - it is this model.....
proxy.php

For what it is worth - I will give ANY product multiple chances.... I don't immediately write them off. I've tried things - panned them, they've changed/upgraded/or new info has come out (new process of using it, etc) and I have changed my opinion. As it stands RIGHT NOW - I am not a fan of feather Artist Clubs, but after I try the Japanese version, and the stainless European version (which I will try and evaluate both of within the next month or 2) I will be able to give a more detailed, and comprehensive analysis.

John,
proxy.php

For what it is worth - I will give ANY product multiple chances.... I don't immediately write them off. I've tried things - panned them, they've changed/upgraded/or new info has come out (new process of using it, etc) and I have changed my opinion. As it stands RIGHT NOW - I am not a fan of feather Artist Clubs, but after I try the Japanese version, and the stainless European version (which I will try and evaluate both of within the next month or 2) I will be able to give a more detailed, and comprehensive analysis.

Sorry Joel,

I did not look hard enough to see what was what. That is actually a nice looking razor, and I look forward to your thoughts on them.

Thanks
John

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Looking forward to that info!

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for that answer, I had not even thought of that potential problem of having to always place the Eastern back in it's special holder.

I kinda like the idea of the Eastern style for me to try. As a spec wearer who must stand as close to the mirror as possible to see what I'm doing, and while using a straight I'm forever tap tapping that mirror with the scales. I never seem to be able to stand close enough to the mirror and try and keep the scales out of the way at the same time. And it can happen at the most unexpected moment, when I usually jump at the same time with some very bloody results.

I assume these Feathers are slightly shorter in length than a conventional straight, and maybe just a bit more user friendly for some of the more difficult places to shave?

Cheers
John

PS I have found this thread to be very interesting, and it has almost convinced me into trying a Feather.

My western Feather AC measures 9 inches fully extended whereas the eastern version is 6 1/4 inches total length. The western version I have has ebony scales and the eastern version has a rubber handle. The rubber handle of the eastern version covers more of the blade holder which allows me to more effectively choke up on the razor while maintaining a good grip.

The western version does have a monkey tail which may be your preference if you are more famliar with gripping a traditional straight. Of course, there is no need for the monkey tail on the eastern version and you may have to adjust your grip if transitioning from a traditional straight.

Like you, I also like to be close to my mirror while shaving and my average combination face & head shave routine is about 45 minutes (every other day). I can start to tire and get sloppy if I try to do it standing, so I purchased one of those old shaving mirrors on eBay for $25 which allows me to sit and enjoy the shave. I can get the mirror as close as I need and tilt it for different angles. I put 2 little clip-on spot lights ($9 each) on both sides of the mirror for eliminating any shadows.

Mine is similar to the one in this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120127331863

proxy.php

I am not sure if I buy that the stainless version shaves better, so I will be interested in your results. The "stainless" tag applies to the blade holder, so it is not intuitive to me how it would improve the shave, but I have more severe intelligence challenges than you.

John,
proxy.php

Like your first try at the AC, I suffered some harsh shaves with new blades until I started to cork them. This was the single biggest improvement for me in using the AC. Maybe you can try stropping a blade to see if it tames it. This would be a good comparison for those of us interested.

Another big improvement came when I "un-learned" the 30 - 45 degree angle that was drilled into me for DE shaving. The AC blade holder is wedge shaped so it provides its own angle guide. If the wedge shaped blade holder is allowed to just lightly glide over the face, the wedge will maintain a consistent angle for what I consider to be a perfect angle of attack for cutting the hair (credit for this tip goes to Ben over at SMF). The angle of attack is so flat that I almost never get irritation from the shaves, unlike some of the DE shaves I had.

I also tend to use longer strokes than I see used with traditional straights. I find the blade is light and it benefits from the momentum of a long continuous stroke. Needless to say, YMMV.

i cannot shave everyday with the AC because there is not enough to cut the day after the shave. If I tried, I would be cutting more skin than hair. For me, daily shaving would lead to increasing and cumulative levels of irritation and affect my judgement of the razor. Your hair may grow faster than mine, so again, YMMV.

John,
proxy.php

A Picture of the eastern version can be seen in its holder on this page:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11055&start=20

Ricardo,

Thanks for being so informative on this topic.

I just read that thread you linked to at SMF, but I seemed to have missed something at the end of it. Are these no longer available through that other web site that was mentioned. It says something about not being able to buy Feather razors anymore. I'm confused :confused:

Is this how yours looks of the Eastern in it's holder? It looks very nice indeed. As I live in Oz I'm wondering if there is somewhere else more direct I can buy from rather than going through Classic, any ideas anybody?

Cheers
John

Ricardo,

Thanks for being so informative on this topic.

I just read that thread you linked to at SMF, but I seemed to have missed something at the end of it. Are these no longer available through that other web site that was mentioned. It says something about not being able to buy Feather razors anymore. I'm confused :confused:

Is this how yours looks of the Eastern in it's holder? It looks very nice indeed. As I live in Oz I'm wondering if there is somewhere else more direct I can buy from rather than going through Classic, any ideas anybody?

Cheers
John

My eastern looks exactly like the one in your picture. AFAIK both Classic and Jatai still sell the eastern version of the AC. I purchased my western version from Classic and the eastern from Jatai. Ben of SMF received a great price ($110) on the eastern from Jatai. By the time I ordered mine the price had risen to $150, delivered. Jatai explained to me that they had mistakenly quoted the $110 price.

I recently purchased a second eastern AC from a group buy on SMF for $125, delivered. The best price I know of for the western version is at,

http://www.appletonbarbersupply.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=FEAARTIST&Category_Code=SHAP01

I tried several times emailing Appleton to see if they ship internationally (UK) but I have yet to receive a reply!

They are certainly the cheapest in the states but I can't say I'm impressed with their possible customer service!

Gareth

(Four shaves with the AC now and still good)

Ha ha ha it may just be me but that "Eastern" Feather is the silliest looking shaving tool I've ever set eyes upon! Looks like it should be on something like Star Trek, looks kind of sci fi futuristic. Maybe in the future everyone has reverted to open blade shaving as the best way to shave!

I'll point out that I'm not being racist here- a lot of the Japanese razors I've seen have a beautiful simplicity of design that I like. That thing just looks comical though!

Gareth-

Any up date on the Feather?... how are the shaves and how is the blade lasting?.. Also are you seeing any diference with your skin as to the closer shave?

Wil

Top Bottom