What's new

Just received a Feather AC

I just received a Feather Artist Club RG, the basic model for Spe and his Japan Proxy bid/buying sevice. See end of message.

It arrived this morning and I'm having a day off doing some decorating. That just had to stop so I could try the razor out as I hadn't shaved today.

I'd also bought a pack each of the pro and super pro blades to see which I get on best with. I loaded it up with a pro, lathered up with Taylor's Avocado cream and my B&B finest brush and went to it.

Amazingly smooth shave, almost complete BBS even on the hard patch next to the Adam's Apple that I can't even clear with my slant and feather blade! No nicks, just one tiny weeper where I always seem to get one.

Why are most of the members afraid of them? It was one of the most gentle shaves I've had and up there with the best.

I can thorughly recommend Spe's service. He tells me he tried to join here but wasn't allowed to. I don't know why and wouldn't want to start any arguements with the Mods! I found him on Straightrazorplace and will send the details via PM if anone is interested.

Can't wait for tomorrow and another Feather AC shave!

Gareth

As has been said before its not the first shave with a feather that will get you its the later ones. They just seem to have a reputation as being very unforgiving razors. I think like everything else once you master it its just another shaving implement. I've never used one myself but they say you can get the best possible shave with one.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think people are 'afraid' of the Feather AC because the blades are significantly sharper than can be achieved with a Straight, and the blade holder is, as Thebigspendur mentioned, very stiff and unforgiving. So it's a different technique than with regular striaghts, and there's not much room for error if you do it the wrong way.

But if you have the right technique (which isn't that hard) then yes, it's a great shave.

Gareth,

Please keep us up to date on your shaving- daily if that is not too much- it is true- I have read that the first few are great- it is the later one that "get you" :eek: .

I have been thinking of purchasing one- but would like to read another persons start with them before I make the purchase myself-:detective:

Thanks,

Wil

I expect "the later shaves get you" is down to getting too familiar and thus careless with the razor. It is certainly the sharpest thing I've come across and could do serious damage if you lose concentration. Now where did i leave that ear?

I'll report back after a week's worth of shaves!

Gareth

HI Gareth,

I likewise will be interested to see how you progress with the Feather, and how you find any difference between the two blades.

Did you just tell Spencer what you were looking for and left it up to him, or does he demand that you actually find it yourself?

Cheers
John

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Gareth,

Please keep us up to date on your shaving- daily if that is not too much- it is true- I have read that the first few are great- it is the later one that "get you" :eek: .
I have been thinking of purchasing one- but would like to read another persons start with them before I make the purchase myself-:detective:

Thanks,

Wil

For me, it's the first few shaves that are the most dangerous, with the blade so freakishly sharp. But after a few shaves the blade "rounds into mid-season form" and shaves much better. YMMV, of course.

As has been said before its not the first shave with a feather that will get you its the later ones. They just seem to have a reputation as being very unforgiving razors. I think like everything else once you master it its just another shaving implement. I've never used one myself but they say you can get the best possible shave with one.

I find that it is the first few shaves that are the harshest and the blade calms down with each shave. I counter this by corking the blade (running it over a wine cork). When the blade is corked, you can get great shaves starting with the first.

Why are most of the members afraid of them? It was one of the most gentle shaves I've had and up there with the best.

If I can shave my head with a Feather AC, anyone else with a steady hand can shave their face with it. It is not the feared beast that it is made out to be.

I find that it is the first few shaves that are the harshest and the blade calms down with each shave. I counter this by corking the blade (running it over a wine cork). When the blade is corked, you can get great shaves starting with the first.

When you 'cork' the blade- In your experience, what is the sharpness curve for the blade itself- how much do I shorten the usability of the blade?

Thank you-

When you 'cork' the blade- In your experience, what is the sharpness curve for the blade itself- how much do I shorten the usability of the blade?

Thank you-

I might lose 1 shave after corking.

Before I started corking, the blades lasted 2 weeks before I noticed a decrease in sharpness. This involved shaving my face and head every other day which I think would be roughly equivalent to someone only shaving their face everyday for 2 weeks. I shave every other day because the AC cuts so close that I only have minor stubble on the day after a shave (YMMV). I do two passes on both the face and head, XTG and ATG.

After I started corking, I notice the blade may not cut as easily on the last shave of the 2 week cycle. On SMF, Dr. Chris Moss compares the sharpness of a Feather AC blade at the end of its life as being equal to the sharpness of a traditional straight.

Informative- thank you.

At present I am starting to use the Gillette Swedish in my Slant and Vision- presently using the Merkur Derby then Israelis blades has given me BBS but I will still see a bit of a shadow on my face- Thus the curiosity of the Feather and if maybe that will be close enough to give me a BBS and also take away the shadow- and not cost me any blood... I know I may be ashing for a lot here...:detective:

Informative- thank you.

At present I am starting to use the Gillette Swedish in my Slant and Vision- presently using the Merkur Derby then Israelis blades has given me BBS but I will still see a bit of a shadow on my face- Thus the curiosity of the Feather and if maybe that will be close enough to give me a BBS and also take away the shadow- and not cost me any blood... I know I may be ashing for a lot here...:detective:

The Feather AC is worth a try if you want to increase your TTS (Time to Stubble). In a recent thread, Thebigspendur notes that his TTS is greater with a traditional straight as opposed to a DE. I feel the same when comparing the Feather AC to my DE use. Both a slant DE with a feather blade and a Feather AC feel BBS after the shave, but I seem to be able to go longer between shaves with the AC. Another benefit, the DE needed 3 - 4 passes at a steeper angle for BBS and the AC can get by with 2 passes at a lessor angle which also leads to less irritation for me. I also suffered more nicks and cuts when shaving my head with a DE (slant, Fatboy, Aristocrat) as opposed to the Feather AC, but this may have been due to the extra focus I use when shaving the back of my head blind while using the AC.

Ricardo,

Which blades are you using with your Feather?... Also how is the feather when taking those hard turns around the chin and mouth?

Ricardo,

Which blades are you using with your Feather?... Also how is the feather when taking those hard turns around the chin and mouth?

I use the Super Pros. I have some Pros as well and I have never tried the blades with the guards. The Super Pros have given me consistently great shaves.

I have both the Western (folding) and the Eastern (non-folding) version of the Feather AC, and I find it much easier to navigate the facial contours with the Eastern version. Either version allows you to tailor the angle of the blade to accomodate your facial terrain which is something I could not do as well with a DE.

Thank you Ricardo-

Getting closer to taking the plunge- I have a Vision, Slant and 38c at the moment- and have really wanted to try the Feather- Seems like the easiest entry into SE- do not have the time to go the route of a set SE razor with stroping and such.

Thank you Ricardo-

Getting closer to taking the plunge- I have a Vision, Slant and 38c at the moment- and have really wanted to try the Feather- Seems like the easiest entry into SE- do not have the time to go the route of a set SE razor with stroping and such.

These were the same reasons I used to move from the DE to the Feather AC.

To sum up my conclusions in my move from the DE world:

If you want great shaves, get a Feather AC

If you want great shaves and a hobby, get a traditional straight.

ps - there is nothing wrong with a great hobby if you have the time for it, which I did not.

Top Bottom