What's new

Just picked up my first vintage pen...

Awesome pen! Congrats!

I know the feeling of thinking “darn, I probably could have got it for cheaper on whatever.com auction/antique site.” But its worth something to hold it in your hands and know it’s a good pen and works and all that. Plus, it still likely costs less than a comparable modern pen, most especially one made of celluloid. So yeah, if you love the pen, you got a good deal.

I don’t mean to insult your intelligence, but since you mentioned this is your first vintage pen, if you’re not familiar with the ink issues with older pens then read the Richard Binder’s excellent article on richardspens.com. In general, old school inks like Waterman, Parker Quink, and Schaefer Skrip should be fine, but avoid Japanese or boutique inks (or at least proceed with caution).
I cannot agree more with TankerJohn. Vintage fountain pens should be treated with only stable dependable inks. The one brand that I can think of that comes to mind as being indisputably safe for all pens is Waterman's. They make about eight colors and if you are keen on uncommon colors they mix well in small batches to provide quite an array of possibilities. Also, you should heed the warnings of Greg Minuskin on modern inks in Vintage pens. Simply Google his name and you will find his website. Good luck, I have about fifty vintage pens and have been able to break away from that addiction only to find another one, Razors and related items.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have used Noodlers in my Parkers and Schaeffer for years and have never had an issue. I do primarily just use Lexington Gray and Bullet black though. Do the boutique inks run a higher risk?

The only Noodler's ink I've personally ever had a problem with was Year of the Golden Pig highlighter ink, which I put in a Preppie highlighter and it turned to gel. Other than that, no problems. I haven't really focused on many of the "push the envelope" inks too much apart from the Polar inks but I suspect that is where any problems are going to arise if at all. I often use Kung Te-Cheng, and never a problem yet.

Top Bottom