What's new

JoWolf’s Lather Slide

I was thinking while trying to shave my ear hairs the other day, whose idea was it to have the hair on our heads thin and the hair in our ears get thicker. That seems counterproductive to me.
Why don't we go bald from the back?

I have never understood this.
you learn to never trust a fart
In London local slang these were known as "soft centres" as in the chocolates in assortment boxes. Some can be runny, or some can be hard caramel.

It's Russian roulette, the fart situation. Always has been, always will be.

It adds a further certain level of uncertainty to the human condition.

Last edited:
FFFMM Sunday March 17/2024

Blade - Single Use Feather
Razor - Lupo OC95 driven with a Chiseled Face Pineapple Twist Titanium Handle
Brush - Zenith Boar B35-31x57mm
Soap - SV-Franken - Three combined soaps Felce Aromatica, Tundra Artica, Cosmo

IMG_0494.jpeg

Third weekly face and head shave FFFMM. Last week’s ATG Single Pass face and head shave was successful with shorter regrowth in length. Confirmation of Lupo’s efficiency, the improvement I sought. Skin comfort improving with less shave strokes. Some shavers reach a plateau in comfort and efficiency with satisfaction happily maintaining that shave. I’m not in that camp. My mind always spinning assessing, re-evaluating shaves. Trying to tweak improvements, exploring limits of my shave kit. A fixed four eliminates extra complications. Months end will continue my minimalism embracing my Fixed Four Kit. Expanding comfort and efficiency.

I read on one of the posted threads here. “Use your shave soaps without restraint.” Advice I espouse. The well soaked boar hair brush squeezed to damp. Pouring bloom water over the dampened bristles and re-squeezing the bloom water into a dish for dipping. Loading the brush to capacity results in a thick yogurt consistency. The face lathering application is heaven. Dipping the bristle tips working the lather to my desired slickness my favourite part of the shave. Uncomplicated sublime comfort.

Today’s face and head shave ultra close and ultra comfortable. My skin has never felt better. The Lupo is a pleasure to use. Each shave continues to delight.

Happy Shaves

FFFMM Sunday March 24/2024

IMG_0494.jpeg

The fourth FFFMM. The four “F’s” definitely a charm. The fixed four is all about eliminating variables in your shave process. The tighter you lock in on variables. The easier it is to explore the individual limits of the assembled kit. The Lupo’s efficiency has increased each week. The second and third week I had reestablished an ASP (ATG Single Pass shave) for face and head. Last week’s concentration also focused on follow up buffing after the shave stroke. This week’s face and head whiskers are noticeably shorter. My weekly shaves have always been designed to incorporate fewer shave strokes with elevated skin comfort. Closing off my fifth year of DE I’m delighted that comfort improvements continue. A happy hobby with great dividends.

The Gentle Wolf
Every razor and blade combination requires repeated practice with muscle memory to achieve an ultra soft touch. Three years with the Grande had achieved that touch albeit, it took about two and half years to get there. The Lupo’s dozen or so shaves have brought me to the same threshold. The razors balance is better as is the maneuverability, from what the Grande could deliver. Something I had’nt done before. Incorporating buffing within my short shave strokes. I was not able to accomplish this stroke with the Grande. My ATG Single Pass Shave improved once again in closeness and skin comfort. An unexpected win-win. I believe the weekly shorter whisker growth is a major factor in using this combination stroke. Continued use with this locked four my only shave kit. Practice and refinement of the shave stroke will improve. The shaves are the closest I’ve achieved in over a half century of shaving. You might almost think the Wolf has no teeth, that would be a mistake though. Large blade gap and extension result in a very high efficiency. The Gentle Wolf with big teeth.

Happy Shaves

How is the rehab coming along?
Thanks for asking. I had a stress test yesterday and everything looked good. I’m penciled in for working on the machines starting in May. I do light calisthenics, a little staircase climbing, short distance walking, and a little stretching. I use a FitnessPal app, a workout for seniors app, I wear a Fitbit and have the little monsters syncing. My first ninety days have been difficult but I am starting to gain momentum with improved mobility. It’s a grind but I’m dialed in.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Thanks for asking. I had a stress test yesterday and everything looked good. I’m penciled in for working on the machines starting in May. I do light calisthenics, a little staircase climbing, short distance walking, and a little stretching. I use a FitnessPal app, a workout for seniors app, I wear a Fitbit and have the little monsters syncing. My first ninety days have been difficult but I am starting to gain momentum with improved mobility. It’s a grind but I’m dialed in.
Glad to hear this, sir. Keep on truckin'...I mean wolfin'

:)

Happy Easter

FFFMM Sunday March 31/2024

IMG_0494.jpeg

Fifth shave for FFFMM. A successful month. Bonding continues with the Lupo. I was able to return to one pass face and head shaves. Weekly shaves are closer with improved skin comfort. I’m a strong proponent of efficient razors and sharpest blades. A combination ensuring a soft touch with minimal skin contact. My Shave Kit is locked, using this Fixed Four. There are advantages with minimalism. The shave journey continues in maintaining comfortable healthy sensitive skin.

IMG_0459.jpeg
IMG_0461.jpeg
IMG_0462.jpeg

Happy Easter & Happy Shaves

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Happy Easter

FFFMM Sunday March 31/2024

IMG_0494.jpeg

Fifth shave for FFFMM. A successful month. Bonding continues with the Lupo. I was able to return to one pass face and head shaves. Weekly shaves are closer with improved skin comfort. I’m a strong proponent of efficient razors and sharpest blades. A combination ensuring a soft touch with minimal skin contact. My Shave Kit is locked, using this Fixed Four. There are advantages with minimalism. The shave journey continues in maintaining comfortable healthy sensitive skin.

View attachment 1820775View attachment 1820776View attachment 1820777

Happy Easter & Happy Shaves
Happy Easter, John.

Glad your rehab is coming along John. I hope your Easter was great.
I struggle with arthritis during April. The last few years I had to go on prednisone for seven months. I hope I can manage without it this year. Easter is always nice especially when we have fair spring weather as we had this Easter. When I was younger we used to take a few of the foods we would eat at Easter Sunday breakfast, to church on Holy Thursday for a special blessing. Easter breakfast after Mass is always a nice celebration. The Polish church in my youth also had the first Sunday after Easter where the priest would come out to the parking lot after Mass and bless all the cars with holy water. No dirty cars in the parking lot that Sunday. I hope your Easter was great as well John.

where the priest would come out to the parking lot after Mass and bless all the cars with holy water.
Speaking of blessing with Holy Water, on Easter Sunday mass, the Deacon was going down the aisles blessing the congregation with holy water and the Aspergillum, which is the wand-like device that "sprinkles" holy water on the congregation. I was right behind the deacon, headed outside to get the Thurible, the censor that holds the incense for mass, from outside where we keep it in order not to smoke up the Church. I guess the Deacon didn't expect me to be behind him, he turned around and doused me with holy water, right in front of my wife. Haha. I likely needed a good blessing anyway. The deacon said "Opps" wide-eyed and laughed, as did a few others. Haha.

Last edited:
Speaking of blessing with Holy Water, on Easter Sunday mass, the Deacon was going down the aisles blessing the congregation with holy water and the Aspergillum, which is the wand-like device that "sprinkles" holy water on the congregation. I was right behind the deacon, headed outside to get the Thurible, the censor that holds the incense for mass, from outside where we keep it in order not to smoke up the Church. I guess the Deacon didn't expect me to be behind him, he turned around and doused me with holy water, right in front of my wife. Haha. I likely needed a good blessing anyway. The deacon said "Opps" wide-eyed and laughed, as did a few others. Haha.
We’ve been in this house eighteen years. My wife’s had two of the priests we know and one deacon bless the house. I forget to take them to the garage and do the car. Next time I’ll remember. We need all the blessings we can get.

Sunday April 7

IMG_0494.jpeg

A couple of years ago I started the ASP-ATG Single Pass Thread. My shaves were very close but a little sacrifice to irritation and skin comfort. I then returned to two pass shaves restoring skin comfort and eliminating skin irritation. My shaves always designed to chase comfort above all. I shaved with skin irritation for well over firty years before switching to DE. Eliminating skin irritation on my sensitive skin was a momentous accomplishment. I never thought possible. The last few weekly face & head shaves lead me back to ASP Shaves. It was not a destination or goal. Continually exploring efficiencies of my kit it was a natural seem-less transition. I love the simplicity of a locked four, and minimalism. It’s a different kind of shaving excitement. I’ve read comments about locked fours being boring. It was a long journey for me to arrive and maintain a locked four. Efficient razors using sharpest blades. Challenging and very exciting to use. My goal has always been to keep the apex of the blade off my skin with fewest strokes possible. The excitement continues.

Happy Shaves

Sunday April 14

IMG_0494.jpeg

Last month in a half I’ve gotten back to my weekly shaves. Prior to that, from last November I was using the electric with shave intervals anywhere from four to eleven days. I believe shavers with regular shave intervals accomplish best comfort and skin health. ATG single pass shaves continue in efficiency refinement. Enjoying my locked four. Simplicity of the four and single pass shaves have enhanced my skin comfort. Shave enjoyment continues.

I’ve never cared for razors that required me to change my shave style to adapt to their efficiencies. My long run with the Fatip Grande was because it suited my shave style perfectly. My change to the Lupo was possible because the physical dimensions and weight mirrored the Grande’s. A custom handle change required to close the deal. Increased efficiency was the driver for the change. Improved styling, lower head profile also appreciated. I certainly don’t miss fiddling with blade alignment on nine out of ten blade changes. I thought I would just carry on with improved efficiency.

Lupo’s efficiency has driven me to change my shave stroke. Moving away from my quick short triple stroke. Too a hybrid buffing stroke. One quick stroke, backslide and quick forward stroke. Basically a buffing stroke that I have used from my beginnings with DE shaving. Only now I use it exclusively for my full face and head shave. It was very natural and easy for the head shaves because of my choked grip on the handle just under the razor head. The last two face shaves I’ve adapted to that same grip. Over my shave journey I would always think an improvement would be my last. My close shaves are usually 24-36 hrs before full whisker growth is established. I believe I’ve moved it up to 36-48 now. This week’s face shave was my first complete shave with the hybrid stroke. There was a slight warmth on my neck areas with the alum, but no irritation. Great skin comfort was enjoyed with post shave elixirs.

I won’t make any bold efficiency statements about the Lupo. I know better. My journey with the wolf has indeed been short. I do know I love this wolf and believe there are still dark secrets to discover.

IMG_0504.jpeg

Happy Shaves

Top Bottom