What's new

Journaling - What do you use?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Interesting. I'm keeping a handmade paper roll-up civil war journal, just to notate the changes of the year- when the hummingbirds come and go, first cold front, etc.

Similar to:

View attachment 693913

Using a different ink for each of the four seasons. Had to switch pens, as the nib of the Nemosine was too scratchy on the home-made paper- shows the challenges they had back then! Little bits of paper/fibers stuck.

AA

Really cool! Do you know what the paper is made from or what type of paper it is?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Really cool! Do you know what the paper is made from or what type of paper it is?

No. I can post a photo or two tomorrow; it looks much like the one shown.

The paper is pulpy; like it was poured and dried. Definitely hand made, with flaws. It's actually pretty difficult to write on! Pen catches, skips and it absorbs ink like a paper towel. However, it has soul, and if I'm going to record a year of my life, going to do it my way.

I have several fountain pens, bunch of inks- but I don't know much about paper. Just wanted to support the museum, I usually buy a book or something when I visit a new museum. They sell flags :001_huh: but you know, I just didn't need one.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Promised pix of civil war journal:

Rolls up neat, with pen

Unrolls ...

Paper seems handmade, but I'm not a paper expert:

My cruddy handwriting: too difficult to write cursive, so block:

AA

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well, thanks! I know the fountain pen people appreciate fine writing, there's none here! :lol:

There's journals like like it on etsy and Amazon, I must confess. Mine from the museum seems craft-made.

AA

Well, thanks! I know the fountain pen people appreciate fine writing, there's none here! :lol:
Cool notebook. But what kind of fountain pen is that? I don't recognize it. All mine are Nemosines and I'm quite happy with them. One's a little scratchy, but it'll smooth out over time.

I've been using a Filofax journal with removable lined paper for a day-to-day work journal. I like that it lays really flat. The paper works pretty well with my fountain pen (Nemosine Singularity, FT, with Chesterfield Obsidian ink). It doesn't feather on that paper and I can barely see it from the other side of the page. It's pretty heavy paper.

But...I'm looking for something that I can use for my more intimate journaling. A5 is a nice size. Lots of them out there, but I'd prefer something that lays flat and has plain black hard cover.

I went to a museum of a famous inventor, and they had his journals there. There were thick and very uniform. There had to be dozens of them. I really liked the idea of my journals being able to carry about a years worth of writing each and getting a fair number of them so they're uniform throughout time. Maybe I have to get this custom bound.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Cool notebook. But what kind of fountain pen is that? I don't recognize it. All mine are Nemosines and I'm quite happy with them. One's a little scratchy, but it'll smooth out over time.
The pen's a jinhao 'tiger' model? Might have another name, but there's a tiger on it. They come in red and black, I have both. It is not the best writer by any means ... Just one whose nib could hack that homemade paper. Ink is Noodlers Lexington Gray, for winter.

AA
I've been using a Filofax journal with removable lined paper for a day-to-day work journal. I like that it lays really flat. The paper works pretty well with my fountain pen (Nemosine Singularity, FT, with Chesterfield Obsidian ink). It doesn't feather on that paper and I can barely see it from the other side of the page. It's pretty heavy paper.

But...I'm looking for something that I can use for my more intimate journaling. A5 is a nice size. Lots of them out there, but I'd prefer something that lays flat and has plain black hard cover.

I went to a museum of a famous inventor, and they had his journals there. There were thick and very uniform. There had to be dozens of them. I really liked the idea of my journals being able to carry about a years worth of writing each and getting a fair number of them so they're uniform throughout time. Maybe I have to get this custom bound.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Now I'm all set. Matching journal and planner.

proxy.php

I use to carry a small A6 size note book with me for little notes. At first I used a Moleskin, there was a lot of bleedthrough. Now I´m using one from Leuchtturm. Very nice paper. No feathering and no bleedthrough. As ink I used Montblanc permanent blue or permanent black. After the first heavy rain the ink started to dissolve. Since then I´m using Rohrer & Klingner Salix or Akkermann iron gall ink.

For my Bachelor and my Masterthesis I used an A5 sized notebook, which had a leathercover and handmade cotton pages. I wrote down my ideas and if I found a book or an article, which I could use I made a short note about it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm currently using a Apica Premium CD A4 Notebook with blank pages.

I like the A4 size as I find that both comfortable and usually enough for one page/day.

I like blank pages as I find the lined pages are too small a space (too close together) for my liking.

The paper quality is good. This can be an issue as sometimes the paper quality is better in a size I don't like.

The cover is OK, not as heavy as I'd like, but that's a small compromise.

Choices.

Late to this, and it looks like Toothpick is all set, but for other folks who might need ideas, I use a MiquelRius soft bound journal. Here's a link to it on Amazon.

You can get them at Barnes & Noble for $10 instead of the $18 - $20 Amazon price. No bleed-through and very little ghosting (and that only happens if I use a particularly broad/wet pen and ink.

You could do worse!

-Dan

My journal pen is a rather inexpensive Cross fountain pen. It writes nicely. I use a Field Notes in a Popov cover. I have one for my thoughts and one for my guitar case.

I use a B!ack n' Red A5 notebook. Comes with 192 lined pages and a ribbon marker. I use a variety of ballpoint and gel pens. Rite Aid drugstores sell them.

I use a 304 page leather bound record book - you can buy these at Staples. For my pen I use the Waterman Carene with a fine nib. Glad to know there are others journal writers out there! We need to inspire more people to do the same as it is a healthy habit and allows one to commune with his / her thoughts and understand what is really going on inside one's own mind. Thanks for sharing! B

proxy.php

Top Bottom