Soap: Stirling unscented with beeswax, mug loaded and lathered
Razor: RR Game Changer 68P
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Number of passes: 2, XTG
Touchups or buffs: no
Aftershave: Skin Bracer and Nivea Sensitive balm
Sting: None
Result: DFS (stubble ATG on neck)

This morning was my first time with the Stirling unscented with beeswax, or any Stirling soap for that matter. Despite being a soft soap, it was thirstier than I expected and it came out a little thick. I’ll add more water next time. Overall, it’s an excellent soap that has great slickness and protection. The shave was nice, even if it wasn’t the closest I’ve gotten with the Game Changer.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Brush: RR 400 butterscotch noir
Soap: Stirling unscented with beeswax, mug loaded and lathered
Razor: RR Game Changer 68P
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
Sting: None, but maybe some extra menthol tingle

This morning's shave was the bee's (wax) knees. It was my second time with the Stirling unscented with beeswax soap and I think I made the lather just perfect. More water led to a rich and luxurious cream. I can always tell when I get the lather just right because the shave is a little closer, and that's consistent across all of my razors.

IMG_0303.JPEG

Jay21

I would check Amazon...... if you are a Prime member. The shipping from Canada is $15... Too much for me... I just checked and it's out of stock at the moment. That is the only hard puck unscented soap I have....

In a pinch, I also like Mike's unscented and Stirling Unscented with Beeswax... but both are croaps... in between hard pucks and creams. You could load from the tub with either, I think.. but I scoop/scrape into a shaving bowl as opposed to face lathering.
Nail : hit : head. Really great stuff. Thanks for the recommendation.

Beeswax is a great soap, scent or not. If I had realized they sold those apothecary mugs I would have thrown one in when I ordered my refills. The mug I'm using is definitely a shaving mug but with straighter sides so I'm always banging the brush on the mug, which is annoying. But worth the trouble. The soap is top notch.

Jay21

Beeswax is a great soap, scent or not. If I had realized they sold those apothecary mugs I would have thrown one in when I ordered my refills. The mug I'm using is definitely a shaving mug but with straighter sides so I'm always banging the brush on the mug, which is annoying. But worth the trouble. The soap is top notch.
The mug is pretty great. Fendrihan sells an even wider one if you want to avoid clanging.

Jay21

Soap: Arko, mug loaded and lathered
Razor: RR Old Type
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Result: CCS+/DFS- (stubble ATG on neck)

This morning's shave took an unexpected twist. I hadn't used the RR Old Type since last July and I thought it was time to pull it out for duty again. My prep was good. The Arko lather was amazing. The Nacet was fresh. But, the shave was pretty rough. The razor didn't feel all that great on my face while cutting. There was also considerable tugging in some places. The shave was neither as close nor comfortable as yesterday's with the Game Changer 68P. I didn't have any sting from the Skin Bracer, which is good, but I don't think I need to use the Old Type again any time soon. It's odd because I seem to remember really liking the Old Type in the past. Maybe the Old Type isn't that bad of a razor and it's more so that the Game Changers and Lupos are that good and smooth. If I have them in my collection, there's no need to feel obligated to use the Old Type again.

IMG_0304.JPEG

Razor: RR Old Type
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Result: CCS+/DFS- (stubble ATG on neck)

This morning's shave took an unexpected twist. I hadn't used the RR Old Type since last July and I thought it was time to pull it out for duty again. My prep was good. The Arko lather was amazing. The Nacet was fresh. But, the shave was pretty rough. The razor didn't feel all that great on my face while cutting. There was also considerable tugging in some places. The shave was neither as close nor comfortable as yesterday's with the Game Changer 68P. I didn't have any sting from the Skin Bracer, which is good, but I don't think I need to use the Old Type again any time soon. It's odd because I seem to remember really liking the Old Type in the past. Maybe the Old Type isn't that bad of a razor and it's more so that the Game Changers and Lupos are that good and smooth. If I have them in my collection, there's no need to feel obligated to use the Old Type again.

View attachment 1846115
That is just so strange with a great fresh blade like the Nacet, and that it was rough and tuggy. Does not makes sense.

Jay21

Razor: RR Lupo 58
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Sting: None, but maybe some tingles

I had some delayed onset and lingering irritation yesterday after my unfortunate run in with the RR Old Type. It's a shame because I previously liked that razor, but that cements my opinion that I won't be using it again any time soon. I switched to the RR Lupo 58 this morning. I loaded in the same Nacet as yesterday, whipped up a fantastic Arko Lather, and had a nice shave. There was no aftershave sting, but perhaps a few tingles that were lingering evidence of yesterday's transgression. Despite the Lupo 58 being listed as more aggressive than the Game Changer 68P, I don't think it shaved me as closely this morning as the Game Changer. It may be a synergy of the shallow angle and blade gap size, and the Lupo 58 has a smaller gap than the Game Changer 68.

IMG_0307.JPEG

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Do the baseplates for the Lupo also curve them differently for each gap? If they don’t, the 0.1mm thinner gap probably isn’t the limiting factor unless you mix your lather like ancient Roman cement (which is okay if you’re into that).

If a shallow shave with a 0.68P Game Changer is better than a shallow shave with a 0.58 Lupo, I suspect you’ll find that same Game Changer will do better than even a Lupo claiming a 1.27mm gap.

Jay21

Do the baseplates for the Lupo also curve them differently for each gap? If they don’t, the 0.1mm thinner gap probably isn’t the limiting factor unless you mix your lather like ancient Roman cement (which is okay if you’re into that).

If a shallow shave with a 0.68P Game Changer is better than a shallow shave with a 0.58 Lupo, I suspect you’ll find that same Game Changer will do better than even a Lupo claiming a 1.27mm gap.
Based on my untrained eye, I *think* the Game Changers bends the blade just a little more than the Lupos. I don't know about blade bend between the different base plates within the same razor system.

I do make my lather think like canned goo, though. Maybe that also has something to do with it.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I meant the bend from Lupo to Lupo. Unless they change from plate to plate, I think the differences would only matter if one shaved neutral. If they’re identical aside from the gap, I think you’ll find any/every Game Changer will straight up pwn any steel Lupo when cap-riding.

Jay21

I meant the bend from Lupo to Lupo. Unless they change from plate to plate, I think the differences would only matter if one shaved neutral. If they’re identical aside from the gap, I think you’ll find any/every Game Changer will straight up pwn any steel Lupo when cap-riding.
I’m not sure. My untrained eye couldn’t tell much difference between Lupo to Lupo.

Why do you think the Game Changers are better for cap riding than Lupos?

Top Bottom