Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Leaf Twig Razor

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Leaf Thorn Razor

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters
If you want a one and done then stick to stainless or brass. The cheaper Zamak on the 6C type razors may eventually corrode over the years.

Out of the razors you listed I’d choose the 6S. But as many here have mentioned I think the Razorock Game Changer is superior and only half the price. They have different baseplates for different levels of aggression but if I had to choose just one I’d grab the .84p. Id say the .76 or .84 is the best option for your needs but if you find you want more or less aggressive you can order a new baseplate for about $30.

My Henson medium didn’t cut my hair easily and took multiple passes to get it to cut down. My Leaf twig? Single blade version broke on the 2nd shave and I’ve heard of many breaking. I didn’t like the 1st shave to well so I never sent it to get fixed yet.

I don’t head shave but from those that do they tend to favor single edge razors. If you don’t mind using different blades you might want to pick up a vintage GEM micromatic for $15-20. Or a Schick Injector for about the same. I’d recommend the Schick M adjustable for injectors which may run you $30-40 instead.

For wider AC blades a lot of people really like the Yaqi Romulus for about $50. I haven’t tried it but I just ordered one on sale. If you don’t care to spend a bit more money I see many people rave about the Atelier La Faulx but they’re around $200. I wouldn’t be surprised if it would be the best razor for you.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I am hesitating to give head shaving advice as I don't do. But how anyone can recommend a Rockwell 6S particularly for headshaving over a Henson Medium is really puzzling me. I am here not known as a fan of either, but would seriously rather suggest the Henson Medium.

Welcome! "Forever" is a long time. And razors get accidentally dropped or overtightened. Threads get stripped. For this reason I suggest to buy something that doesn't break the bank and can be replaced. A King C. Gillette available in most drug stores. Or even the Lord L6 that costs under 10 euro.

Other.

I use different razors for head and face. SE for head, DE for face.

If I was forced to choose...

Face: pre-war Gillette Tech, Razorock Game Changer 76P
Head: Blackland Vector, Parker Solo Edge

The Razorock is a machined, solid stainless steel razor with traditional geometry that will outlast any mortal human. Additional base plates are 30 bucks, so one complete razor and an additional base plate comes in under 100 bucks...an incredible value.

For vintage face shaves, I have not found a better razor than the pre-war, fat-handle Tech, which can easily be found for around $20-30 on Ebay or Etsy.

The Vector (AC blade format) is more expensive but performs very well for head shaves, and is also available in stainless steel. I get autopilot BBS head shaves in about 15-20 minutes.

On a budget, the $35 Parker Solo Edge (DE half-blade) has been an amazing razor fot my head shaves. I also get an autopilot BBS with it, and have never drawn blood (jinx 😄).

Of course everyone is different, and this is merely my personal experience after using many different razors.

Good luck 🙂👍

Do you have any problems with the Mach 3? If not, I’d suggest you consider continuing with it.

A DE razor is going to be slower, require more concentration, and not be any closer shaving than a Mach 3.

My problem with cartridge razors is that they cause a great deal of irritation on either side of my Adam’s apple. If I could use one I probably never would have discovered DE razors. But I can’t, so I went looking for something better (for me).

But if the Mach 3 already works well I don’t think you’re going to gain anything in terms of closeness or time efficiency by switching to a DE razor. That won’t be a popular opinion here but it’s the truth based on my experience.

Feel free to experiment with soaps and brushes and everything else. But I don’t think you’re going to get better results than the Mach 3 unless it’s causing you an issue.

All that said, I voted for the Henson +.

Do you have any problems with the Mach 3? If not, I’d suggest you consider continuing with it.

A DE razor is going to be slower, require more concentration, and not be any closer shaving than a Mach 3.

My problem with cartridge razors is that they cause a great deal of irritation on either side of my Adam’s apple. If I could use one I probably never would have discovered DE razors. But I can’t, so I went looking for something better (for me).

But if the Mach 3 already works well I don’t think you’re going to gain anything in terms of closeness or time efficiency by switching to a DE razor. That won’t be a popular opinion here but it’s the truth based on my experience.

Feel free to experiment with soaps and brushes and everything else. But I don’t think you’re going to get better results than the Mach 3 unless it’s causing you an issue.

All that said, I voted for the Henson +.
This is a good point. When I first started shaving 20 years ago every razor I tried caused lots of irritation for me. One day I got a Schick Hydro 5 and it was pure bliss for the next 15 years and I never thought twice about shaving. Would usually get 3-4 weeks per cart shaving everyday.

Fast forward to 3-5 years ago and I noticed the brand new carts started feeling worse then my old well used ones and the irritation was back. I looked closely at the packaging and in small font it changed from German Wilkinson Sword blades to blades made in the US by Edgewell. Soon after I discovered DE razors and it’s been an adventure since then.

None of my DEs shave any better then my old Hydro 5s and may take a little extra time but it’s a lot of fun and can also be much cheaper if you stick with 1 razor and only order blades as you need them. Not sure why the old Hydro 5s worked when other razors didn’t but I imagine it was the smooth Wilkinson blades combined with the extra gel like lubricant pads.

I voted ‘other’ simply because you mentioned that you will be shaving more than the face.

I have recently started using a DE razor to shave my head and noticed that open combs perform much better than closed combs. Same story with body shaving, I believe that open combs deal better with varying lengths of hair and can also navigate body curves slightly better IMO. I used to use the Mach 3 turbo for my head shave but I found the blades to be too dull to tackle even very trimmed down hair. After 2 uses the M3 was nearly done in terms of blade life.

With that in mind I’d recommend buying a Fatip piccolo or grande. Both very cheap but well constructed from brass , and look really nice on display in your shaving cabinet!

Hope this helps.

Hello everyone! Thank you for all your input and responses!

I was doing a bit more research and I came across this post:

It mentions:
I have both razors also and exclusively use the Henson now. I find the efficiency of my mild henson to equal plate #4 on the Rockwell and I am much faster with the henson and no weepers or cuts. The Henson is also not really as picky about prep, or soap or cream as the Rockwell.

Something that I didn't mention is that I'm not planning to use a standard shaving cream and a brush to create a lather. I'm planning to use Cremo Shaving Cream directly on my face and head

I'm looking for something more forgiving with the prep work that doesn't cause irritation, cuts, nicks, or razor burns. Does this change your responses?

I have about 15 razors and have tried at least that many more. The best I've ever shaved with is the Lambda Athena, then the Muhle Rocca.
So I can easily stay with just these two without missing anything.
You can probably guess that I'm going to suggest these two. If you want to get a more luxurious tool that will give you a stellar shave and are willing to pay a little more, then the Lambda Athena would be a perfect solution.
The Muhle Rocca is my more budget friendly suggestion that can also give you a great shave.

Hello everyone! Thank you for all your input and responses!

I was doing a bit more research and I came across this post:

It mentions:

Something that I didn't mention is that I'm not planning to use a standard shaving cream and a brush to create a lather. I'm planning to use Cremo Shaving Cream directly on my face and head

I'm looking for something more forgiving with the prep work that doesn't cause irritation, cuts, nicks, or razor burns. Does this change your responses?
Cremo directly to the face and head is doable, this is exactly what I do when I travel sometimes, but you'd be doing yourself a favor with a brush and a bowl. Even the cheapest brush will give you a better lather than your hand. I use the Proraso red shaving cream that comes in a tube quite often, it works fine if I lather directly from my hand when I'm traveling but it's a much much better experience after lathering with a brush and bowl.

Welcome! "Forever" is a long time. And razors get accidentally dropped or overtightened. Threads get stripped. For this reason I suggest to buy something that doesn't break the bank and can be replaced. A King C. Gillette available in most drug stores. Or even the Lord L6 that costs under 10 euro.
L6. You've nailed it bro.

+1 on the 6S.
I started with a 6C, which is essentially the same, but after a year or so the threads on the handle got stripped.
Rockwell offered me either a new handle for free or 50% off a 6S. The rest is history.
But while it won't win a beauty pageant, it's incredibly versatile with the six plates. If you're like me, you'll soon settle for one as a go-to plate.

My goal is to get one razor and use it forever without worrying about getting another razor.
Ha! That's what we all said when we started.

My vote cast is for the Rockwell 6S. It gives me consistently excellent shaves. It's one of two razors in my collection (the Parker SB Variant) capable of providing a near BBS shave under my neck (my problem area). As a stainless-steel razor, it will outlast you.

Top Bottom