What's new

Item of the Week 10/7 - Cheap Cologne

$P1080315.jpg

Johnnys' Bay Rum is made by a local ,good old fashioned, neat guy, fun barber here in Portland. $8 I'm not normally (as opposed to abnormally) a "scent guy", but when I do these are them. Stay clean shaven my friends and smell good!

And actually used the Hoyt's yesterday afternoon.
Wasn't (that) bad at all!
Sort of barber-shoppy scent.
It just seemed to go with the razor and the whiskey.
View attachment 374641

Very cool photo. What's in the jug in the back? I've never seen it before?

Yesterday I used SCS Aspect after shave milk and EDT. I was surprised that the milk has alcohol in it. Not upset by this, just wasn't expecting the "burn". The scent is nice but I think it's more if a fitting summer scent. The Aspect EDT has the same scent of course. It lasted, to my nose, about 3 hours'ish.
Today I used the Sandalwood balm and EDT. No burn in this one. The scent was a little off of what I think sandalwood smells like, but the balm was quality. The Sandalwood EDT (made from bark) was nice but very light, but I don't have the best nose for such things. Overall, compared to Dept Store prices, this stuff is very economical in my opinion

I have a 12 year old bottle of Brut received as a Christmas gift. Might as well use it! Is it obligatory to put on waaaay to much?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Is it obligatory to put on waaaay to much?

Absolutely.

I've been using Stetson AS as my cologne for the week. Dump some in my hands, rub on my neck and wrists.....then repeat. I just have to, it's Stetson!

Although I have less expensive fragrance, the $16 I spent (from parfum1.com) for a bottle of Jacques Fath pour l'Homme was probably the best bargain. It is a top quality French oriental that smells like it should cost at least five times as much. Cuba Paris Gold or Orange, at $5.43 a bottle is another that punches way above its' weight class.

Mike

Hello to all.

This will be the thirty third in a series of "item of the week" threads that I am promoting in the general shave discussion forum.
The rules:

1. It is very simple. Use the item of the week for the week that it is scheduled and post your thoughts on that item in its thread.
  2. Everything else in your shave line-up may be rotated at will, but keep the featured item of the week as part of each shave.
  3. The weeks will start on Monday and end on Saturday. Sunday could be a free day, or an overlap day for the next week or whatever.

The thirty third featured item of the week will be Cheap Cologne

"CHEAP" cologne! How dare you sir! I refuse! I will NOT sully my skin with that riffraff! I will live on the streets, I may even not shave for a day, but I will NOT wear anything less than bank-account emptying fragrance-snob artistic masterpieces!

Harumph! Good day sir!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Just got all these samples of cologne for free today. Although I don't think any of it would be considered "cheap" cologne.

Ok, I broke open the Florida Water this evening!
Started out with a shower and a smear of Al's PSO
Whipped up some BB cream into a bowl with a Kent BK4
Two passes with the Revisor 5/8
Then a clean up pass with a DE
Washcloth rinse soaked with some Florida Water
It was an alcoholic-floral-citrus fragrance
IMO, close to a urinal puck
Fortunately, followed by AOS Lavender balm
I survived and celebrated with a Blue Ribbon, which fit the occasion.
Cheers!
full

Last edited by a moderator:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Ok, I broke open the Florida Water this evening!
Started out with a shower and a smear of Al's PSO
Whipped up some BB cream into a bowl with a Kent BK4
Two passes with the Revisor 5/8
Then a clean up pass with a DE
Washcloth rinse soaked with some Florida Water
It was an alcoholic-floral-citrus fragrance
IMO, close to a urinal puck
Fortunately, followed by AOS Lavender balm
I survived and celebrated with a Blue Ribbon, which fit the occasion.
Cheers!
full

This is the single greatest picture I've ever seen on B&B.

You should take a break and let this picture soak in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thanks; the beer already got 'soaked' in, so to say!!

How were your sephora samples? Any pick of the litter?

I wore the CK One out last night. I thought it smelled spoiled. But my buddy said it smelled good, like CK One was supposed to smell.

Not sure yet what I'll try tomorrow. I have them in a bowl I'll just blindly choose.

Can't remember how much I paid for Tabac EDC, but it couldn't have been much.
EDIT: $23 for 10.1 oz on fragrances.com now, but I'll bet I got it on sale!

Last edited:
Top Bottom