What's new

is this an addiction?

Just a couple weeks into this myself. However, it's a "been there, done that" with so many other hobbies/adventures. I think we just enjoy learning new things. It's nice that you've gathering so many goodies, but I'd stick with one blade and one cream, until you find your sweet spot with the razors. I'm certain I read that somewhere and it's always worked for me with: firearms/ammo, bow/arrows, RC cars and batteries, and so on.

Just a couple weeks into this myself. However, it's a "been there, done that" with so many other hobbies/adventures. I think we just enjoy learning new things. It's nice that you've gathering so many goodies, but I'd stick with one blade and one cream, until you find your sweet spot with the razors. I'm certain I read that somewhere and it's always worked for me with: firearms/ammo, bow/arrows, RC cars and batteries, and so on.

So your saying your addicted to hobbies.....:biggrin:

So your saying your addicted to hobbies.....:biggrin:

Hmm..not sure addicted is the correct word. My wife thinks I'm addicted to shopping, finding that perfect item. I'd almost agree with that, however I put most of my den items together from items I had at home, except the razors and creams of course.

Temporary obsession might better explain it. Addicted means you can't go without it. I left archery and jumped into RC cars. I left rifle hunting, for the most part, and now enjoy bird hunting and fly-fishing more. I obsess until I find everything I need and maybe some things I want, then I settle down and move one. In fact, the only reason I found the wet shaving forums is because I grew a goatee!! I have been shaving for 30 years and actually started out with DE when I was a teen. I grew the goatee and steered toward SE shaving, then found DE and thought, Hey this makes sense. RC Cars will be around for along time and wet shaving will be permament as well.

Hmm..not sure addicted is the correct word. My wife thinks I'm addicted to shopping, finding that perfect item. I'd almost agree with that, however I put most of my den items together from items I had at home, except the razors and creams of course.

Temporary obsession might better explain it. Addicted means you can't go without it. I left archery and jumped into RC cars. I left rifle hunting, for the most part, and now enjoy bird hunting and fly-fishing more. I obsess until I find everything I need and maybe some things I want, then I settle down and move one. In fact, the only reason I found the wet shaving forums is because I grew a goatee!! I have been shaving for 30 years and actually started out with DE when I was a teen. I grew the goatee and steered toward SE shaving, then found DE and thought, Hey this makes sense. RC Cars will be around for along time and wet shaving will be permament as well.

"Temporary obsession" LOL...ok I see your point but jumping from one thing to another is still signs of an addictive personality. Using the next hobby to sooth the loses of the last....:biggrin:

I am so addicted...200+ razors and counting....:blush:

I think I also need a moss scuttle. 70 bucks after taxes and shipping isn't unreasonable for warm shaving cream. Oh god, my bank account...

You do! Need it!:lol: I can not make it without mine. When I am on a trip I miss mine awfully!

R

I think I also need a moss scuttle. 70 bucks after taxes and shipping isn't unreasonable for warm shaving cream. Oh god, my bank account...

My advice would be to get the SMALL scuttle. I just got the large for X-Mas, and I think it's really too large to keep my brush all that warm. Unfortunately, it's too small to build lather in. The small should be just right to keep a lathered brush nice & toasty.

I live ~near~ tatamagouche where the moss scuttles are made. It's about a 2-3 hour drive. I think I might stop by one of these days, rather than getting one over the internet. Maybe I'll be able to find a decent shaving brush on my travels. Thanks for the advice on getting the smaller one.

Has anybody tried the edwin jagger soaps? I didn't find a review for them. I've got one in a beech wood bowl coming on the 9th.

"Temporary obsession" LOL...ok I see your point but jumping from one thing to another is still signs of an addictive personality. Using the next hobby to sooth the loses of the last....:biggrin:

I am so addicted...200+ razors and counting....:blush:

I'm very thick skinned, so don't worry about offending me :001_smile

See, it's the 200+ razor part where we differ. I don't collect, much, in any of my hobbies. I shoot em', race em', run em', smoke em', shave em'. That's not say I won't keep a mint one here or there, but I've all but stopped that at this point. If I collect "doubles" now, it's only because I like the one I have and they usually become "vintage" overnight :rolleyes:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Funny, I do not own 5 razors... yet... However, I already saw what I want, next DE will be Merkur HD and a Merkur Futur (probably) or a slant, I did not decide yet...

Also, the order will probably be with 200 Astra razor blades. Those gems are excellent! I tried Derby and prefer Astra for some reason... Feather is excellent but, ninja sharp for only 3 shaves...

I am still waiting to make some reviews to be able to make a constructive review and know what I am talking about since I am learning a *lot* right now!

Well, keep that credit card empty and you will get amazing stuff!

Cheers
Luc

Come on guys, practically every man on the planet shaves. How can buying shaving stuff be anything other than NECESSITY?

Addiction? Nah, if you were addicted that would mean everybody here is addicted. That's not true. . .right?

He he, ha ha. Once bitten you can't get it out of your blood. Get yourself ready for a lifetime of SAD. SWMBO will not enter my shave den and the postman now has a stock phrase "ANOTHER ONE FOR YOU".

Come on guys, practically every man on the planet shaves. How can buying shaving stuff be anything other than NECESSITY?

I live vicariously through Siv's shave diary! :biggrin: I mean, Siv, your shave budget is like the GDP of Mexico. It's a good thing for your economy (and a bad one for the U.S.'s) that you don't like animal hair products, since the number of synthetics are somewhat limited. Your SBAD would create a vacuum in the shave industry. :lol:

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the opportunity to curb my own enthusiasm for purchases by looking at yours.

Of course, it's scary that even with my purchases being "curbed" I still own 2 razors , 6 kinds of blades, 4 brushes, 4 soaps, 2 creams, 2 pre-shaves, and 6 after-shaves. With another razor (old Gillette Tech) and soaps (Ogalla Bay Rum varieties) on the way. I have already started to build a custom shave den as well. I've been at this for 3 weeks :blushing:.

Top Bottom