What's new

Is Shaving Soap better than Shaving Cream?

I like soap! I like messing around with my brush in a tub or a jar or a bowl with on the bottom a solid piece of nicely smelling and long lasting shaving goodness.

(And sometimes some cream with the soap for a bit of superlather.)

I personally am a big fan of creams. I'm not sure if it's my technique or the fact that my bathroom is always freezing and insanely dry. I also just prefer the texture of creams compared to soaps.

I find it easier and quicker to raise a lather from cream than soap. At home I use Tabac, but when travelling I carry a tube of Proraso with me. If you are just starting using a brush buy a good cream.

Using a VDH boar brush with soft water I find soaps to be superior to creams in terms of density and quality of lather. However IMO creams provide a better "barber type" shaving experience. Also if you use the often suggested dollop dab (I do not suggest) creams outlast the non triple milled soaps.

As a relative newbie I realize that a higher quality brush probably creates better cream lather.

If in doubt -- super lather -- the best of both worlds!

Provence Sante is turning into my favorite soap, prefer it to:

Institut Karite
D.R. Harris Arlington
L'Occitane CADE
Van der Hagen (glycerin-orange puck)
Col. Conks lime
QED lime

9.99 a refill at http://shavingessentials.net/shaving_soaps.html

Great soap, and relatively cheap to boot. Also the boys at shaving essentials always include good size samples of their other products so they might turn you onto something you love, for free.

There are so many great comments above about the benefits of using both soaps and creams, either one vs the other or together. I love this site for the wealth of knowledge that is shared, in the forums and the reviews. As a relative newbie, I'd just add - TRY THEM! One of the great pleasures of this (hobby, addiction, sickness???) is trying the great variety of products available, and hearing what others have experienced.

Either can give a good or bad shave. IMHO creams are easier to lather for a beginner, but there is something gratifying in getting the precise air, water, soap and technique combination to get a great soap lather. Soaps take a bit more technique and practice, but are more economical.

I go both ways (something I've only admitted to my friends on B&B!):ohmy:

Top Bottom