What's new

Is Shaving Soap better than Shaving Cream?

Are you saying that the soap are better than the shaving cream? I need change once in awhile to switch from cream to soap. I would love to get a close shave but I don't really get close shave because I still get little cut and red rashes from against the grain.

When you say the soap is little slick, what does slick means?

Chris

Hi,

What exactly do you guys mean when you say soaps tend to be slicker than creams? Do you mean essentially that soaps often are more lubricating and reduce friction against the skin better than creams? Do you think this is true also for non-tallow soaps?

In connection with this, I have often wondered what the addition of clay (bentonie, kaolin, etc) does for a soap. I suppose it is to provide extra slickness. Is it true that clay can help with this? If so, why is it so uncommon?

Regards,
Alex
I recently bought some handmade soap off of ebay with benonite clay included. It is incredibly slick and was according to the maker included for that reason...

Hi,

I haven't send any reply or new topic for 2-3 days. So my question is:
Which shaving soap are you recommended? I only 2 day a week and I have been using shaving cream from The Art of Shaving for the past six months. I don have sensitive skin like when I always shave against the grain and then I get some cut and red rash but it go away after 10-15 minutes.

I do like Sandlewood but I'm going try to get the different scents but I don't know which one. I never try the Soap before. Was it easy to use the soap than cream?

Whiich shavaing soap are popular or the best? Do you like the Art of Shaving product? Which is your favorite soap and why?

Chris

Hi,

Which shaving soap are you recommended? I only 2 day a week and I have been using shaving cream from The Art of Shaving for the past six months. I don have sensitive skin like when I always shave against the grain and then I get some cut and red rash but it go away after 10-15 minutes.

I do like Sandlewood but I'm going try to get the different scents but I don't know which one. I never try the Soap before. Was it easy to use the soap than cream?

Whiich shavaing soap are popular or the best? Do you like the Art of Shaving product? Which is your favorite soap and why?

Chris

I haven't used Art of Shaving soap, but from most accounts I've heard, it's good stuff. I do have Art of Shaving Sandalwood cream and I think it's great. Some say it's pricey, but unless I'm mistaken you really won't find a good cream with Sandalwood essential oil, not a fragrance oil, for less. QED does make a sandalwood soap for less than the Art of Shaving stuff.

I wouldn't say it's easier to use soap than shaving cream. Building a good lather takes a bit more effort, but it's not rocket science. Soaps tend to last longer, so they're more cost effective.

I haven't used a very wide variety of soaps, but the ones in my collection I really enjoy are Tabac, QED soaps, Honeybee Soaps, and The Gentleman's Quarter soaps. I have a Crabtree & Evelyn soap, it's good, but it's not my favorite.

I'm interested to find soaps with clay in them. What was the name of that soap you bought?

Alex

You might try Honeybee soaps. Susan Smith, the proprietress, does have an ebay store, though it's been stripped of most of the product selection now that she has her own site. She uses white kaolin china clay and shea butter in her soaps. Her soaps are very slick, rich and moisturizing. The 3 piece sampler set gives you enough soap to last the better part of a year for about $15 shipped.

If you check the review section of this site, you will find out about many shave soaps that are absolutely wonderful. However, what 1 person likes another may not which makes your question somewhat difficult to answer.

On the other hand there is a consensus of good/great shave soaps. You already have one in your possession, another would be Tabac as already mentioned. some of the sites you can check out are under shopping forums- just let your fingers do the walking and see what you may like.

marty

Before spending much on a variety of quality soaps/creams, you might try some of the cheaper standbys such as Van Der Hagen and Proraso/TO Bigelow. Just an idea.

I've use the Col. Conk amber and bay rum and like both very much. I think the Col. Conk soaps are probably one of the best values out there, very cheap and they work well too. And they are scented but are definitely not harsh or anything like that.

I've also used Kent's Wool Fat soap and at least in my experience, it lives up to all the hype. It is very lightly scented, extremely gentle on the skin, and it provides a very slick shave - lathering well and easily. I never understood how people all say that it requires some special effort or technique to lather well, I just treat it like any other soap or cream I've used and it works great.

I would have to agree with all of the good comments above. Good creams and good soaps both work well. You may prefer one over the other. I tend to cycle. Right now I'm in a soap cycle and enjoying it. In a bit I'll probably move on to creams and then back to soaps. Personally, the only significant difference that I have found between the two is that milled soaps tend to last longer. With that said, even expensive creams are relatively inexpensive so use what you like and don't feel guilty about it. If you try a couple of brands in different formats (soaps or creams) you will develop some likes and dislikes. Among the quality brands I tend to base my favorites mostly on scent (not very sophisticated, I know). Enjoy.

Mike

I must say the since I bought some soaps, I became "soap addicted". I've been using creams like Proraso, Musgo Real, and some other that provided me some nice shaves, but... My shaves have improved since I switched to soaps like Tabac, MWF, P160, so for now I'd say that in my particular case, soaps are better than creams.

If there's one thing that's clearly in favor of one or the other, I'd say the consensus is that soaps are probably less expensive than creams.

Otherwise, creams are generally thought to provide more cushion for your razor, while soaps are generally thought to be a little slicker.

This about sums up my learning experience so far! Man, this is a great forum!

Hi,

Chris

Check out the Soap Reviews

I think that from what I know of B&B these are the most highly rated soaps (in no particular order):

Tabac
Mitchells Wool Fat
Geo. F. Trumpers
Col. Conk (although most praise is reserved for triple milled tallow-based soaps, this glycerine based one does have its fans.)

There are however, many, MANY other HIGHLY rated soaps that may give you an excellent shave too.

Difficult question to answer.

Keep experimenting and rotating. If you are unable to to find the answer just super lather.

Lots of great soaps & creams out there that I enjoy. Using the reviews can give you an idea on some of the most popular....

Me I like to use Mama Bears glycerine Patcholli soap and add a little of TOB St. James Collection shave cream and whip that into a nice lather! Smells great and gives me a GREAT shave!

Top Bottom