What's new

Is my brush going?

Ok - perhaps a self-evident question, but I think I'm seeing my first brush go kaput. It's starting to lose hairs at an increasing rate (perhaps 10-20 per day). Is that my signal to buy a new brush? (I've had this one for roughtly a year and a half, shaving every day, but it wasn't a high-end brush - it was the basic brush that comes with a starter kit, at the Art of Shaving)

thoughts people?

and bonus question - now that I've been wet-shaving with a DE razor regularly for the past 1 1/2 years, I think it's fair to say that I'm sticking with it. Is it time to graduate up to quality? Any suggestions on a new brush?

Thanks in advance for your input!

I think it is time, yeah. Do you have a budget in mind?

• If you were looking in the $20-40 range, I would recommend a Semogue boar brush. They are of very high quality.
  • For $40 and up, I would consider a badger brush in Best, which is a mid grade hair you should find softer at the tips and with more robust backbone than your current brush. Simpson does this category well.
  • In the $80-100 range, you start seeing quality silvertips from Rooney, Shavemac, and Savile Row. Softer than Best, with nice water retention.

Do you bowl lather or face lather? If bowl, handle length may be something to think about.

Last edited:
What's your budget?

I'm going to echo Franz...

Up to $50...either a Semogue Boar, or a Simpsons in Best (pick your handle shape, otherwise they'll all perform similarly)

Up to $100...My picks would be a small Morris & Forndran, or a Shavemac in finest, if you want super badger, a Rooney Size 1 or 2 (pick your handle shape) in Super

Any of those would face lather terrifically.

Top Bottom