What's new

Is canned shave cream really that bad?

wow, just out of curiosity, in what world is there no DE blades available in the market?
This was early 90s when online shopping wasn't a thing. Internet was viewed over dial up if it was accessable at all. Had to rely on supermarkets or barbers to get razor blades.

Supermarkets where I lived stopped selling DE blades and concentrated in the newest twin blade carts from Schick, Wilkinson Sword and Gillette.

It was a bad time as I hadn't discovered the joys of using a straight at that point.

As an aside but not completely unrelated, I did leave a hundred or so blades for one of my family members to use, but he ended up giving away several tucks of nacets to another distant relative who is most appreciative. He did mention a few times how he's glad to have finally got decent blades.

Yes as you say, I have never used a DE
the concept was: continuing to recommend easy products doesn't help you learn anything
However, with your experience the world gets better
Good shaves 🙂
You have to start with something at some point. You're wrong with

"They are the same product"

They aren't. Creams contain more water, hard soaps less or no water water all. They're two different products.

He asked the following:

"How many of you DE shavers are using canned shaving cream? Are the results any different vs soaps and tubed creams?"

IMHO soaps are harder to lather, its easier to make bad lather with soaps compared to creams. I'm talking from my own experience. He got the Proraso cream and he even agreed with me. I would recommend creams to any beginner, especially the Proraso creams because they're very easy to lather. TOBS creams are great too but they can be pricey compared to the Proraso products.

Canned goo works well with a DE razor but that is BLASPHEMY! :ouch1::letterk1:

wow, just out of curiosity, in what world is there no DE blades available in the market?
Companies make more $$$ with their overpriced multibladed cartridges. At my local market we have some indian guys selling shaving supplies, they sell Astra SP's, Permasharp and Derby blades but they ask 2.5 euro for 5 Astra SP's? Online you can get 100 Astra SP's for 7-10 euro.

When I went to Morocco I saw many small shops selling DE blades, my guess they're still kinda popular there because most people can't afford to waste their money on an inferior and expensive cartridge blade.

Canned goo works well with a DE razor
I wasn't referring to the foam in the can, but I was referring to what you said about tub and cream soaps
Anyway or finished,since you think you know the absolute truth in everything and it seems like you only want to understand in your own way!
there is no dialogue
A greeting

I wasn't referring to the foam in the can, but I was referring to what you said about tub and cream soaps
Anyway or finished,since you think you know the absolute truth in everything and it seems like you only want to understand in your own way!
there is no dialogue
A greeting
I was talking from my own experience about cream vs soap vs canned goo, when I started DE shaving I got a hard soap and a cream. The cream was much easier to work with. Poor lather made with the hard soap due lack of experience made the shaving very rough for me, the cream fixed it which was a good thing because then I could focus on the shaving techniques. If I could go back in time then I wouldn't have used the hard soap, instead I would have used the Proraso cream.

"continuing to recommend easy products doesn't help you learn anything"

So if I use a Derby blade which doesn't work on my face, I shouldn't use a much sharper blade like the Feather because it's an "easy product"? We all use whatever works for us, it's not about using something easy it's about using what works. But ofc ymmv.

Sometimes when I don't have time to shower but still want to shave I use olive oil as pre shave oil. How wouldn't that teach me anything? This is what I LOVE about this hobby; trying new things out.

Top Bottom