What's new

Is canned shave cream really that bad?

As a "noob" to DE shaving I am finding that most of the conventional wisdom is spot on. Is staying away from "canned goop" one of those things that I will find out is true? Since venturing into DE razors I have only tried Nivea sensitive gel (canned) and Proraso sensitive soap (comes in a bowl). I'm tempted to try Proraso's canned stuff, but at $8 it is pricey relative to a can of Barbasol --which I wouldn't mind trying too.

Is using canned shaving cream with your DE razor real as disastrous as some make it out to be?

How many of you DE shavers are using canned shaving cream? Are the results any different vs soaps and tubed creams?

Thanks!

I use the can stuff about once or twice a month with DE's, SE's, or carts and it works just as well as long as I have a shower first and add enough water to the canned cream. For what it's worth, I find Proraso green foam to be an excellent product.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
It’s been a while, but Edge Gel worked well enough as I recall. I like using natural hair brushes and hard soaps now. Just a preference thing, which also lends itself to considerable variety, another preference.

I use everything. Soaps, creams AND foam.

They are different and they all have their place.

Add enough water to a foam and it’s slick enough for me to not notice a huge difference.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
B&B is a forum dedicated to, among other things, traditional shaving. Barbasol was first developed in 1919 with the aerosol cans introduced in the 1950s - sounds pretty traditional to me. I like Barbasol - I like the smell and I get just as good a shave with it as I do with anything else. That said, I prefer vintage triple milled soaps, and a good badger brush. My advice is to try a variety of products, use whatever you prefer, and ignore any naysayers.

I used Barbasol or Gillette Foamy for half a century and they worked just fine.
But when I switched to traditional shaving a year ago, I decided to go all in. Now I have more than a dozen alternatives to the stuff in a can and I confess, they're just better. But, of course, since you don't get somethin' for nothin', they're more expensive. I'm willing to make that trade off but not everybody is and that's just fine too.

If you enjoy something and it works for you, no one else’s opinion should matter. Personally—I can get just as comfortable and close of a shave with canned foam as I do with soaps or creams. I prefer my soaps and creams for the morning ritual but I travel with canned foam for convenience.

I used to use canned shaving cream until I made shaving my hobby 11 years ago. I never used canned cream after that. But then a couple of years ago I decided to try the canned stuff again just to see what it was like. After using the good stuff, the Barbasol felt like plastic cream. It was terrible. I would not use it again.

It's way inferior to any good quality lather cream or soap. It really doesn't save that much time either. I only use it when traveling and never with a DE.

I used Barbasol or Gillette Foamy for half a century and they worked just fine.
But when I switched to traditional shaving a year ago, I decided to go all in. Now I have more than a dozen alternatives to the stuff in a can and I confess, they're just better. But, of course, since you don't get somethin' for nothin', they're more expensive. I'm willing to make that trade off but not everybody is and that's just fine too.
^^^^ this (with the exception I didnt use canned stuff a half century, I'm only half century old LOL)

Canned foam is fine. I just prefer taking my time with a nice brush, making a great lather and enjoying my shave though. Do what ya gotta do and/or what makes you happy.

Full transparency? If I am in a super rush, I use my wife’s Gillette Fusion 5 (she continued using these when I went back to DE razors years ago) in the shower with nothing but water. And I get an excellent shave. 🤷‍♂️

IMHO not once you find a great soap that works for you then its like WOW never thought this could be so good
same as finding the blades and razors that work best for what you do
but the old YMMV

I have sensitive skin so that might be part of the reason I find soap superior to can stuff also

way less irritation in both post and during the shave the post feel of my face is also superior and the long term my skin got so much better over time and felt so much better

take some time to find a quality soap that works for you and then you know IMHO if you do not test it on your face and your shaving you never will as all of us have our views but its only what you experience that counts :)

As a "noob" to DE shaving I am finding that most of the conventional wisdom is spot on. Is staying away from "canned goop" one of those things that I will find out is true? Since venturing into DE razors I have only tried Nivea sensitive gel (canned) and Proraso sensitive soap (comes in a bowl). I'm tempted to try Proraso's canned stuff, but at $8 it is pricey relative to a can of Barbasol --which I wouldn't mind trying too.

Is using canned shaving cream with your DE razor real as disastrous as some make it out to be?

How many of you DE shavers are using canned shaving cream? Are the results any different vs soaps and tubed creams?

Thanks!

There are prices point alternatives to Barbosol, plus a $5.00 Indian Made Brush off E-Bay, and old Coffee Mug will get you going. Think the one thing you will notice with Non Canned Goop is real lather stays wet on beard more then 90 seconds.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nothing wrong with canned foams and gels. I used them for years before joining this forum. I should have stayed using them and it would have saved me a lot of money. I would be happy to go back to them again. Still use them occasionally. They have their detractors but a lot of us still don’t mind them at all.

Top Bottom