What's new

Is canned shave cream really that bad?

Well... This is a completely subjective topic. IMHO, no, it is not "bad" at all, and it is a much better alternative to using plain bath soap, etc.

The most refined response I could possibly provide would be, yes, it's effective, but why use it when you can enjoy something far, far superior on so many levels?

Food is a good analogy; You can eat something processed and sold in a box, or you can take the time to learn to make it yourself and perfect it. You enjoy a craft, you gain a sense of appreciation for the "real thing". Returning to the processed stuff in a box compels epiphanies. You have to eat and you "have" to shave - Make the most of it!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Yes. And no.

There are folks who think a meal at Mickey D's is fine dining - and let's fact it, the place sells a lot of burgers. If they're happy who am I to complain?

There's almost always something better: house, car, shoes, drinks, etc. Choices. You've got to make your choices based on your wallet, desires, level of judgement sophistication, availability, etc., etc.

It's not a good fit for my skin, so I don't use it. Soap and brush are probably my most enjoyable part of shaving. But that's me. You can use mayonnaise if it works for you and makes you happy - I'm not peeking into your bathroom. Removing any personal preference - no, it's not as good as most soaps/creams.

Well if any of us has 25 Cents USD for every can of shave foam in the world in 2022, we would have nice nest egg for life. Popular product bought by men and women.

It’s not that bad, it’s just not as good as the lather I get from a brush and shaving soaps or creams.

On few of my longer trips I cannot use brush and shaving soap/cream and have to resort to the shaving foam the airline provides on board (usually travel size Gillette Foamy).
While it get’s the job done, it certainly is not on the same level.

B.

I use soaps most of the time but was very happy with the Gillette shaving gel in the blue can(forgot the name, had menthol in it)
but the cans all lost their aerosol working. In other words there was no pressure left in the can to get the gel out. Ended up binning one half can and four new ones because I couldn't get anything out. Shame, because it worked really well with a brush and I liked the smell and cooling effect. Haven't bought any more cans since then.

I have found some cans better than others. Nivea Men Sensitive gel (slightly thinned by the water in my brush) gives me a good level of protection, an enjoyable shave and nice skin texture after. The basic Gillette foam gives me lots of bulk, little protection and red iritated skin.

Millions of men around the world use canned foam/gel every day with no complaints. I know one person who uses canned foam and a badger brush and swears by it.

I used canned goo for years when I started shaving (I started with, and continued with a DE until I could no longer find blades then switched to carts) and it was perfectly adequate.

I would suggest not using canned foam/gel with a straight though. My experience is it dries way too fast.

It's quick, it's easy, it's readily available, and it's effective. I prefer lathering soaps and croaps for my own use for a variety of reasons, including that I find it very enjoyable to obtain the lather, I find it provides a better lubricant for my shave, it's more cost effective, doesn't require disposal of a can, doesn't require aerosol, yada yada yada. But, to each their own. If you like a shaving foam in a can or a shaving gel, enjoy it. It's your shave to enjoy as you wish.

As a "noob" to DE shaving I am finding that most of the conventional wisdom is spot on. Is staying away from "canned goop" one of those things that I will find out is true? Since venturing into DE razors I have only tried Nivea sensitive gel (canned) and Proraso sensitive soap (comes in a bowl). I'm tempted to try Proraso's canned stuff, but at $8 it is pricey relative to a can of Barbasol --which I wouldn't mind trying too.

Is using canned shaving cream with your DE razor real as disastrous as some make it out to be?

How many of you DE shavers are using canned shaving cream? Are the results any different vs soaps and tubed creams?

Thanks!
You can use canned gel with a DE razor, I tried it long time ago and the results are great thanks to the DE razor and not the cream. Shaving soaps and creams are much better than the canned stuff, they also smell much much better. All the canned goo I used in the past had a synthetic smell. It's hard to describe it but if you used the Fusion canned goo then you know what I'm talking about while shaving soaps and creams tend so smell much better and natural.

I would avoid the Proraso you mentioned because the one in the plastic container is a hard soap. Instead get the Proraso cream, creams are much easier to lather compared to hard soaps. You can get it later if you're more experienced but lather is important for the shaving results.

I used to use Barbasol, back before I switched to DE shaving over ten years ago. But I didn’t have a shaving brush and I didn’t know to add water to it then either. Since I switched to DE shaving, I haven’t used canned cream of any kind. But if you have to add water to it and mix it with a brush, you might as well buy a soap puck. I use Arko, and it’s a good soap and inexpensive.

I've tried gels and foams. In fact, like most folks here I've tried a lot of products in my quest for the best shave I can get.

I will say this though. I will never go back to any canned foam other than Proraso White. It is by far the best canned foam I've ever used. I use significantly less of it than I would Gillette Foamy or Barbasol. I can use a shave brush with it if I want and even lather it in a bowl.

It's definitely my recommendation.

You can use canned gel with a DE razor, I tried it long time ago and the results are great thanks to the DE razor and not the cream. Shaving soaps and creams are much better than the canned stuff, they also smell much much better. All the canned goo I used in the past had a synthetic smell. It's hard to describe it but if you used the Fusion canned goo then you know what I'm talking about while shaving soaps and creams tend so smell much better and natural.

I would avoid the Proraso you mentioned because the one in the plastic container is a hard soap. Instead get the Proraso cream, creams are much easier to lather compared to hard soaps. You can get it later if you're more experienced but lather is important for the shaving results.
Took your advice and picked up the Proraso cream in a tube. IMO the cream is MUCH better than the soap. Very easy to face lather, and I get a much better lather than with the hard soap. Thank you for sharing your feedback. Now if only someone could solve my RAD problem so that I can stop buying razors!

Took your advice and picked up the Proraso cream in a tube. IMO the cream is MUCH better than the soap. Very easy to face lather, and I get a much better lather than with the hard soap. Thank you for sharing your feedback. Now if only someone could solve my RAD problem so that I can stop buying razors!
I can help you with the RAD too. Just send everything to me :sob:

I would avoid the Proraso you mentioned because the one in the plastic container is a hard soap.
They are the same product, the cream is easier to manage for someone who has just started with wetshaving just because it contains more water being soft, but sometimes the simplest way won't teach you anything
There are not only creams, sooner or later he will have to have his own experiences, whether good or bad

You can use it in a pinch, though most have a bunch of junk chemical ingredients. I keep a can around that is used mostly for trimming up the neckline after home haircuts. Otherwise, I'd much rather use a good shaving soap and brush.

Millions of men around the world use canned foam/gel every day with no complaints. I know one person who uses canned foam and a badger brush and swears by it.

I used canned goo for years when I started shaving (I started with, and continued with a DE until I could no longer find blades then switched to carts) and it was perfectly adequate.

I would suggest not using canned foam/gel with a straight though. My experience is it dries way too fast.
wow, just out of curiosity, in what world is there no DE blades available in the market?

They are the same product, the cream is easier to manage for someone who has just started with wetshaving just because it contains more water being soft, but sometimes the simplest way won't teach you anything
There are not only creams, sooner or later he will have to have his own experiences, whether good or bad
I really believe if you never shaved with a DE razor then you should use creams because poor lather will ruin the whole experience especially for and beginner who needs to focus on his shaving techniques. TBH I really believe most issues beginners have are related to their lather and pre-shave routine. Some hard soaps are pretty hard to work with this could be frustrating for a newbie because he might think he probably got a sensitive skin, or thinks he needs a different razor etc.

Top Bottom