What's new

Irritation, I may just give up.

what is SE shaving?

Single Edge shaving. Same concept as DE razors, but a thicker blade helps them last longer, and (as many of use believe) give a closer shave than DEs. The main manufacturers of SE razors are GEM Cutlery and Ever-Ready. Many SE razors can be found for under $20 and give a great shave.

Yeah, Derby's for me were one BAD experience...life got much better with Israeli personna's(red pack on westcoast). But actually I'm addicted to Iridium's. Real sharp so absolutely no pressure with the pass. Got even better with my Merkur future...granted you've spent a buck on decent razors but as you know, each face is different. I'd clean em up and sell em and buy an adjustable from merkur. You've got a great brush and your soaps are legit but I'd be concerned with those blades. You need one sharp enough to cut the hair well yet dull enough not to remove your face in the process. I'm sure your preping well in the shower before your shave? Can't stress the prep enough...makes the difference between fillet-o-neck and a pain free dfs. Hot water underneath the shower head directly on the face for a minute on each side. Throw on some suave hair conditioner...let it sit for 30 seconds wash off(should leave face slick). Dry off well, and try a face lather. This gives more time for the lather to help soften the hair and the ingredients in the lather to prep the face. Make sure before you shave that you have a good lather made with your face lather. Real easy to start shaving with an overly thick or thin lather. Work it till it's right. Take the time. I've been to the point of quiting before and going back to the basics is the key for me. good prep, a proven blade and healthy lather...makes the shave. Good luck bro!

I have the same problem.
I take a hot shower and use conditioner on my beard. I usually do Kyle's prep afterwords then my shave. I've heard that its not good to do Kyle's prep after the shower because its overkill/might cause the problem. I've also heard the opposite. :huh:

at night your freshly shaven face, gets rubbed for 8hrs with dead skin cells, hair styling product, bacteria, saliva and anything else that might be on your pillow. Imagine rubbing your shaven face against the bathroom floor before bed.

Ewwwwww

I have been wet shaving for around 3 years now, and I have yet to have a streak of more than four days of irritation free shaving.
I have worked on my technique tirelessly.
I have tried all kinds of different creams and soaps and pre-shaves/oils. And I get decent shaves out of most everything I try, but after a few days, the irritation is back.
I shower at night before bed. The irritation seems to start in the middle of the day, and is then worsened after I go over the irritation with my razor. I think it is ingrown hairs that are the culprit. I make one pass and go with the grain. I have also used Anthony Logistics Ingrown Hair Treatment. It works at first, but when I start using it once a day (once every two days is recommended), the ingrowns start up again.
If you have read this far without getting bored, and hitting the back button on your browser, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

After 3 years, it may be hard to remember, but are you sure your previous shaves had less irritation than DE?

On a relative basis, the absolute worst irritation I received shaving was on my neck from electric razors.

Top Bottom