What's new

International Postage

Just to rehash the obvious. Many sellers use inflated postage just as an attempt to make more profit from the unwary.

I just add the postage price in my mind when bidding on anything. When I see a ridiculous postage rate I just move on.

That's the problem, even for the sellers -- they might end up with less profit owing to the ridiculous shipping charge (since buyers who might've bid up a razor won't bid). Basically, we need to let the sellers know that they're missing out on money by listing ridiculous shipping.

but i don't need Handling that is priced at white-glove service, when neither white glove is wanted nor received.

The best example of eBay "handling" was when I bought my IBM Model F keyboard (the heavier, clickier predecessor to the famous Model M). It's a pretty rare KB (on clickykeyboard.com they tend to go for a couple hundred, at least), but they're pretty obscure, too, and this one wasn't labeled that well, so I got it for $25 + s/h. I guess the guy wasn't thrilled with the price, since I got a keyboard box weighing about 7 1/2 lb. later that week (the keyboard itself weighs about 7lb). Opening the box, I discovered that the packing materials consisted entirely of one small, broken piece of styrofoam on top of the keys--he might as well have put a stamp on the back of the keyboard and chucked it in the mail, for all the protection that gave! :lol::lol:

Fortunately, the thing is built like a tank, and survived its shipping ordeal.

Last edited:
Don't forget that domestic shipping is as easy as clicking a link that bills you for postage and prints a mailing label, then USPS comes to your door to pick it up. International shipping involves schlepping to a post office at lunch, wasting an hour in line, and having to fill out a bunch of forms by hand.

If I were an eBay seller, I'd charge for my time too.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Don't forget that domestic shipping is as easy as clicking a link that bills you for postage and prints a mailing label, then USPS comes to your door to pick it up. International shipping involves schlepping to a post office at lunch, wasting an hour in line, and having to fill out a bunch of forms by hand.

If I were an eBay seller, I'd charge for my time too.

+1 - While I have shipped razors to members on at least 4 continents, there is a difference beyond just the amount of postage. CONUS I print a label & put it in my mailbox. Offshore I will need to label the package and fill out a customs form, then drive 5 miles round trip to the PO, where a good day line wise is 20 minutes, an average round-trip is usually more like an hour.

I have never refused to send to anyone here, and only charge for the extra postage cost (which I have to estimate, can't really tell until it is weighed in officially). I haven't sold on EBay for a while, but there I just won't ship internationally due to the hassle.

Is he trying to ship it via USPS Priority Registered? If so that should be the correct quota.

If sent via USPS First Class Mail it should cost less than 5 usd in an envelope.

Top Bottom