What's new

JimR's Guide to Int'l shipping

Nice job, JimR - Thanks for addressing this issue with good information.

The issue for me is also time. Going to the Post Office here in New York can take up a whole lunchtime for me on some days. However, your post may get me to offer to non-US members more often.

sent more the 40 packages to USA and Canada (cologne bottles/aftershave) from Spain and any problem in 4 years,i received to 20/30 and never problem too.
international ship is easy.

Jim, this is a great topic for discussion.

A lot of people are just afraid of the unknown, moreso when they feel they're not confident with whatever's about to happen. Many feel highly inconvenienced, confused, and/or intimidated when having to go out of the comfort zone to deal with the packaging and mailing process, if they don't do it much, so the solution is for them to stay away from it (these are the conus folks I guess).

I've done it conus, just because, but some very pleasant experiences and good trades and sales have come my way with guys overseas, and as a result I've sworn off the automatic conus impulse. In trades, both guys pay their own costs, so it is pretty even. If paying their own one way shipping bothers somebody in a trade, they probably aren't ready to start trading stuff.

In a sale, if somebody's unsure, maybe they shouldn't include shipping in the advertised price, but just make it a condition of the sale that actual shipping costs will be determined once the sale is agreed upon, and the location of the buyer is known. I think stuff sells better though, if the seller offers to pay the shipping, and can still figure out how to price his stuff to sell with that in mind.

Jim, this is a great topic for discussion.

A lot of people are just afraid of the unknown, moreso when they feel they're not confident with whatever's about to happen. Many feel highly inconvenienced, confused, and/or intimidated when having to go out of the comfort zone to deal with the packaging and mailing process, if they don't do it much, so the solution is for them to stay away from it (these are the conus folks I guess).

I've done it conus, just because, but some very pleasant experiences and good trades and sales have come my way with guys overseas, and as a result I've sworn off the automatic conus impulse. In trades, both guys pay their own costs, so it is pretty even. If paying their own one way shipping bothers somebody in a trade, they probably aren't ready to start trading stuff.

In a sale, if somebody's unsure, maybe they shouldn't include shipping in the advertised price, but just make it a condition of the sale that actual shipping costs will be determined once the sale is agreed upon, and the location of the buyer is known. I think stuff sells better though, if the seller offers to pay the shipping, and can still figure out how to price his stuff to sell with that in mind.

Absolutely, Gary. My main goal was to eliminate a little of that unknown quality. I totally understand that it can be more hassle to ship internationally than domestically, but at the same time, it can also open up a lot of opportunities for people. We've got a pretty small wetshaver presence in Japan, for example, but we are here, and we can get stuff people in CONUS maybe can't. Trades are good for everyone, so why let fear limit the experience?

As far as it goes, just saying "Buyer pays actual shipping costs" isn't such a bad idea...but the added appeal of "shipping included" does help sell things, I admit. Which is why I always do it, taking shipping costs into consideration. Usually, I think CONUSers would be fine by saying "International shipping, add $5."

Of course, it's all personal...

Top Bottom