What's new

JimR's Guide to Int'l shipping

Hey guys. In response to some apparent confusion over international shipping, and all the "CONUS only" guys in the B/S/T forum, I put together a bit of info on international shipping.
(Originally on my Shaveblog, link's in my sig!)

So, I have been getting a lot of "Holy cow, you live in Japan! I can't send you this pack of blades because the shipping will be a killer!" lately, and I'm getting a little frustrated. It's not that I don't understand the concern, it's just that I think people should know what's what. So, as a service to the wetshaving community, here is Jim's guide to International Shipping from the US.

Useful sites: USPS Postal Price Calculator, Oz to Gram conversion table (for those pesky European soaps and stuff)

First, of course, the most important thing to remember about shipping internationally is it's all about weight. This means know how much your product weights, and how much your packaging weighs. This also brings us to the second important thing: pack smart. Don't pack a single razor in a 12x12x12 box--it's unnecessary and wasteful, and will cost you money.

Another good point to remember (thanks to Gruder for reminding me): You MUST fill out a customs declaration on international packages. This is usually the small, green cn22 form. Be sure to write the contents and approximate value--this is used for tax purposes in the receiving country. If the value of the products is of a certain level (differs for each country) the receiver will have to pay duties. It's good to be aware of this, for all parties in volved, to avoid surprises. If you are selling the items mark "commercial use", otherwise it's fine to mark "gift".
One note: for soaps, lotions etc. I have heard, and seen on packages I've received, that it's fine to write "toiletries" in the contents box. I am not entirely sure if this is the right thing to do, but my packages have all gotten through with it. In addition, colognes and perfumes are illegal to send by airmail, however it appears that aftershave lotion, due to its lower alcohol content, is ok as long as the customs sheet clearly indicates "Aftershave Lotion".

Let's start with a hypothetical example:
I have a Gillette j2 Slim Adjustable, no box or packaging. It weighs 75 grams, that's about 2.5 oz. To ship this, I would:
*Wrap in bubblewrap
*Pack in lightly crumpled newspaper/tissue paper
*Pack in a small (6x2x2), sturdy cardboard box. Plenty safe.

The total package weighs in at just under 5 oz. I go to the USPS international postage page and check the price:

*Choose Japan (I tried 8 different random countries, they were all the same rate--but there are a lot of them out there so...)
*Enter the weight (go for 5 oz, just to be safe)
*Calculate.
Price: $4.60 for first class mail international package.

Yes, there are plenty of more expensive ways to ship, but you don't need them unless you have something REALLY valuable, in which case shipping shouldn't be your main concern.

The domestic price? First class mail package: $1.85, Priority Mail $4.80

Ok, so let's talk soaps. Average soap pucks (MWF, Tabac) are 125 grams, or 4.4 oz. These guys are tough, so a simple bubblepack envelope should be enough. Again, 5 oz, $4.60. No worries!

Some real life examples: a single pack of ten blades in the plastic holder, small bubble pack envelope: $1.20
Large box containing 3 shave sticks, a 100 gram block of alum, 45 blades, a pack of Styptic matches (weight 1lb 2oz): $11.95

If we check, we will find that for most packages, international shipping is a little over twice the domestic cost. This is not insignificant, but it is certainly not the huge cost that most people seem to think it is.

And, if you are selling, then you can use this method to check shipping prices before you sell!

I hope this helps!

Since I have been into wet shaving, I have sent things international several times. If you just go first class international, it usually costs less that priority mail CONUS. I get a bit nervous about not having insurance or a tracking number. However, I make it clear to the person I am shipping to that there won't be insurance or any way to track the shipment before we finish the transaction. I let them know the more expensive shipping options that would have those services and let them choose. So far they have all chosen the cheaper rate; however, I let it be the buyer's choice. Yes, there is a custom form to fill out. If you go USPS, you can fill out the form online and have it ready to go when you show up at the post office. Yes, standing in line isn't as convenient as printing a label off, slapping it on your package, and dropping it in the mail; however, these are our wet shaving brethren. Last I new, we weren't wet shaving for the convenience!

Jim,
Well done post, very informative.
The Conus option for me anyway, is because living in a major metro area,I do not have to go to the post office to ship domestic. With the USPS click and ship I can have the PO pick up my packages at my door. The trip to the PO often takes me over an hour. :frown:

A Sticky candidate!
Shipping costs don't have to be prohibitive and everyone should realise that. (Sorry, I'm somewhat frustrated, because a nice Mergress on the 'Bay was CONUS only).

Jim,
Well done post, very informative.
The Conus option for me anyway, is because living in a major metro area,I do not have to go to the post office to ship domestic. With the USPS click and ship I can have the PO pick up my packages at my door. The trip to the PO often takes me over an hour. :frown:
Thanks Jim! :001_smile

I TOTALLY understand that problem, I should have put it in the original post. I am certainly aware of the hassle that dealing with the PO in person can deal up, and I didn't mean to be critical of people making that choice, just want people to consider their options.

Also, I appreciate the kind comments, Who? and Somber Coyote.

An excellent post. B&B's international appeal is one of my favorite features of this board. Thanks for your effort to make our world a bit more easily connected.

As for the paperwork, yes, a trip to the post office is required for folks in the US, but I've found it helpful to snag a small stack of the green and white 2976 forms to take home. That way, I can at least fill out the form on my desk before I leave for the post office. These can also be prepared online and printed out at home: usps link. A sample form is below. This sample represents an ebay sale, and would be filled out the same way for b/s/t sales here on B&B.

proxy.php

That's awesome! Thanks for adding that info. I wish I could do the same in Japan...

Thank you for posting this information.

I have shipped several shaving items over seas and across country lines, before doing so I thought (incorrectly) that it was complicated and overly expensive (in some cases it can be, but in general not so). Hopefully, this post will help alleviate some fears of international shipping for other members.

Let me start out by saying I ship internationally fairly often. I also happen to live in a reasonable sized city, that has some busy post offices. One of the good things about living in a large city is that we have SEVERAL post offices. by now I've learned which post offices have less traffic, and what time I can go to avoid long lines. We live in a world where we stand in line for almost everything. Standing in line to mail a package really isn't that big of a hassle to me.

I have wondered though, if you're shipping something internationally via first class mail, would it be possible to just slap $4 in stamps(or whatever the postage is) on the package, along with the customs form and leave it in your outgoing mail?

I have wondered though, if you're shipping something internationally via first class mail, would it be possible to just slap $4 in stamps(or whatever the postage is) on the package, along with the customs form and leave it in your outgoing mail?

It's certainly possible here, stamps on, airmail sticker on (or it's going surface), customs form on - but USPS might have "procedures" that they have to follow... My local postmistress is insistent that posting something with stamps through a post box is slower than if I post it at her Post Office - where it gets a sticker printed on - a hypothesis that I need to test more thoroughly.

One very important note for international shipping. If shipping from the US via first class international a customs form is not needed if the package weighs under one pound. I have sent dozens of razors to 15 different countries in the past few months and have never needed a custom form. Just take your package into the post office and simply say "first class international" and hand it over. Just as easy as sending it anywhere in the CONUS.

I'm not saying this is what happens every time - but the only packages I've ever had "officially opened" are those from the US sent 1st class international weighing less than 1lb in weight with no customs declaration...

Those that are <1lb and with a form sail through - no opening.

Jim- Thanks for your help during our recent trade. Not only was shipping to Japan a snap it was inexpensive too.

Let me know what you're looking for and I'll trade you for more of those Feathers.

Do not fear international shipping. It's easy.

Jim- Thanks for your help during our recent trade. Not only was shipping to Japan a snap it was inexpensive too.

Let me know what you're looking for and I'll trade you for more of those Feathers.

Do not fear international shipping. It's easy.

Thank YOU! And as for trades, I am always looking for good shaving soaps. :biggrin:

One very important note for international shipping. If shipping from the US via first class international a customs form is not needed if the package weighs under one pound. I have sent dozens of razors to 15 different countries in the past few months and have never needed a custom form. Just take your package into the post office and simply say "first class international" and hand it over. Just as easy as sending it anywhere in the CONUS.
That may be the law, but I haven't been able to convince my post office of it. Anything going international they insist on a customs form.

That may be the law, but I haven't been able to convince my post office of it. Anything going international they insist on a customs form.

Same in Japan, which has the same law. The fact is, they don't actually KNOW the laws, just do what they think sounds like it.

Same in Japan, which has the same law. The fact is, they don't actually KNOW the laws, just do what they think sounds like it.

Honestly, it may be a pain...

However, I would rather they play it safe and make you fill out a needless form than have a package "lost" at customs. So I have never pushed on this issue.

I get a bit nervous about not having insurance or a tracking number.

+1

This is the deal breaker for me. Without a tracking mechanism you are relying on the US postal service and the destination country's postal service to do their jobs. You can tell the buyer "at your own risk" as many times as you would like to, but that doesn't stop them from filing a Paypal dispute or leaving you negative feedback for an Ebay sale. And, being an honest person, I would feel inclined to give the buyer a refund anyways if they didn't receive their goods. It's unfortunate, because I do believe that 99.9&#37; of packages will make it to their destinations. But, it is a risk for the seller.

Respectfully,

CONUS Guy

Top Bottom