What's new

Intermittent Fasting

I've read about this diet, it sounds efficient :) I think I'll give it a try, maybe I'll start next month.

Not a diet, a structured eating schedule. But yeah, I'm liking it. My mood is good, I eat well when it's time to do so and focus on other things when that time draws to a close. I have also cut gluten from my diet so it is hard for me to say what is working so well, all I know is that it is and this is the first time I have felt that changing my eating habits is sustainable (aka no binging, depression, hunger).

Would like to hear about your experience once you get into the swing of things.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
What's your eating schedule like now? Are you doing something structured like eat for 5 fast for 19? or is it just based on how you feel?

What's your eating schedule like now? Are you doing something structured like eat for 5 fast for 19? or is it just based on how you feel?

I eat between 12 and 18 o'clock (not strict, but never more then 2 hours slip in either direction) and one day a week I fast to reduce my caloric intake. I don't like counting calories, but I sort of know that I am getting in between 2000 and 3000 calories a day depending on the day. I eat as much as I feel is necessary based on my activity levels but in saying this I should also note that my diet is clean, no processed anything.

Commander Quan

Gotcha. Normally my eating schedule is from 1100-1500 with an occasional breakfast thrown in early in the morning, but I've been eating breakfast less and less.

Just watched the episode, if you can get your hands on it I recommend that you watch it as well especially if you have doubts about the health benefits fasting/IF has on people.

The BBC has caught on with IF and Horizon is coming out with an episode about it. Here's the article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

I watched this last night, it's mind-blowing. The biggest idea was Alternate Day Fasting. You restrict yourself to 600 calories in a single meal on one day (400-500 calories for women.) The next day you eat whatever you want. Literally. As much as you like, and as high in fat and sugar as you want. Though people in the trials showed no tendency to go overboard, unless asked to eat high-fat food for testing purposes. Those asked to eat high-fat food got the same benefits as those told to eat "healthy" food.

The outcome is that bad LDL cholesterol drops, blood sugar is better controlled, and you lose weight as a bonus. Your risk of certain cancers and age-related diseases like heart disease drops.
Evidence from tests on mice also shows that growth of new brain cells is triggered. They think it may delay the onset of Alzheimer's.

It's early days, research-wise, but ADF demonstrably has worked for some people. The presenter of the show lost over nearly a stone in 5 weeks and went from borderline diabetic to a normal level, and other improved test results. If he can do it I'm sure I can, I might give it a go. My only concern is how it affects regular exercise which I've recently started.

P.S. This style of fasting reduces the growth hormone IGF-1, which is good because that is linked to many health problems and premature aging. The process is that your body alternates between growth and repair phases. Normally we never go into repair mode because we eat so regularly in the modern world.

Last edited:
ADF is pretty hardcore, he got the same results doing just 2 days of 600 calorie meals during the week. I would like to get my form of IF analyzed if it has the same benefits, I would conjecture it does as I go for 42 hours of 0 calories once a week and at least 18 hours everyday.

I'm currently alternating days between weight training (90 mins) and cardio verging on HIIT on an exercise bike (30 mins plus cooldown.) Rest days when I feel the need.
To avoid messing this up I might try:
Day 1: weights
Day 2: cardio
Day 3: recovery / fasting day (600 calories) to trigger 'repair mode'.

Reading up, I think the BBC show may have glossed over how bad it feels on fasting days, but it's probably worth trying for yourself.

I'm currently alternating days between weight training (90 mins) and cardio verging on HIIT on an exercise bike (30 mins plus cooldown.) Rest days when I feel the need.
To avoid messing this up I might try:
Day 1: weights
Day 2: cardio
Day 3: recovery / fasting day (600 calories) to trigger 'repair mode'.

Reading up, I think the BBC show may have glossed over how bad it feels on fasting days, but it's probably worth trying for yourself.

For me the fasting days are not bad at all, but I have always been able to go without food for extended time. I have actually played a round of golf on my fasting days and I am more focused and in tune when I have. You might want to start by doing a 2 day water fast before getting into working out and all that. This is to get you acclimated and get your bearings for future fasting, you might even get hungry! Hunger doesn't feel like you think it does if you've never experienced it, and knowing what it actually feels like will help you read the signs of your body.

DISCLAIMER: Before trying this out you should be in full health and if you are not sure you should get a qualified medical professional to assess your current state of health. Fasting can be especially dangerous for someone with diabetes or pre-existing heart issues.

I have an identical twin brother, so presumably we should be the same. However, he was 100 pounds heavier than me. He ate garbage, was relatively inactive, and is busy raising two children (one special needs). Meanwhile, I work out like an addict, have no responsibility other than my job, bills, dogs, and relationship, and I watch what I eat carefully. That's why I'm 200 pounds with 8% body fat and he's 300 with 35%. The first conversation he ever had with me about being fat, we were driving to a funeral and he grabbed a hostess apple pie and a one liter of regular mountain dew. This was breakfast to him, and he couldn't understand why he was fat. That's when he got the 3800 calorie conversation, which opened his eyes significantly.

After that, he decided to change his life around, and I couldn't be prouder of him. Still, despite him doing the right things, he struggled to lose 20 pounds. Then he found the intermittent fasting program, and within 3 months, he dropped 50 pounds. It took him 8 months to drop 20. So while there is some questions as to the science behind it, it worked for him. He didn't eat any less calories. He didn't change the food that he ate. He merely crammed it in to an 8 hour window. On top of that, he claims he has more energy than he had before (when he was doing 6 small meals spaced every 3 hours).

For me, I had my appendix removed in March and had to take 3 months off from heavy exercise. Needless to say, I put on some mass, and when I started working out again, it wasn't coming off very easily. I started IF one week ago since it was working well for my brother. The weight is now coming off much easier. I don't feel weak. I don't feel light-headed. I am able to complete my workouts without any issues. I don't think it is sustainable for excessively long periods, and I will have to go back to small meals spaced throughout the day shortly. I do think it is a good way to lose weight and build muscle in short order, when done properly. However, I also think it may be a YMMV thing.

If you're interested, I'd recommend reading the links and trying it out. If it doesn't work, it's not too difficult to transition back.

I have an identical twin brother, so presumably we should be the same. However, he was 100 pounds heavier than me. He ate garbage, was relatively inactive, and is busy raising two children (one special needs). Meanwhile, I work out like an addict, have no responsibility other than my job, bills, dogs, and relationship, and I watch what I eat carefully. That's why I'm 200 pounds with 8% body fat and he's 300 with 35%. The first conversation he ever had with me about being fat, we were driving to a funeral and he grabbed a hostess apple pie and a one liter of regular mountain dew. This was breakfast to him, and he couldn't understand why he was fat. That's when he got the 3800 calorie conversation, which opened his eyes significantly.

After that, he decided to change his life around, and I couldn't be prouder of him. Still, despite him doing the right things, he struggled to lose 20 pounds. Then he found the intermittent fasting program, and within 3 months, he dropped 50 pounds. It took him 8 months to drop 20. So while there is some questions as to the science behind it, it worked for him. He didn't eat any less calories. He didn't change the food that he ate. He merely crammed it in to an 8 hour window. On top of that, he claims he has more energy than he had before (when he was doing 6 small meals spaced every 3 hours).

For me, I had my appendix removed in March and had to take 3 months off from heavy exercise. Needless to say, I put on some mass, and when I started working out again, it wasn't coming off very easily. I started IF one week ago since it was working well for my brother. The weight is now coming off much easier. I don't feel weak. I don't feel light-headed. I am able to complete my workouts without any issues. I don't think it is sustainable for excessively long periods, and I will have to go back to small meals spaced throughout the day shortly. I do think it is a good way to lose weight and build muscle in short order, when done properly. However, I also think it may be a YMMV thing.

If you're interested, I'd recommend reading the links and trying it out. If it doesn't work, it's not too difficult to transition back.

Glad to hear you and your brother have gotten good results from IF. I'm down about 5 pounds in the past week and a half, so it's working for me too. You are right that it is YMMV kind of deal, but with so many variations on the theme, almost anyone can figure out a schedule that fits them. If you practice daily IF, fiddle with the eating window; duration and time of day. If you choose to do 1,2 or 3 24 hour fasts during the week, try it without any calories or add up to 600 calories per day. If you feel comfortable with the daily IF, try including a longer fast once a week/twice a month for fat loss. The only thing that you really have to worry about is that you have a fast every so often, either multiple shorter ones (<24 hours) or a couple longer ones (>24 hours).

My only concern is how it affects regular exercise which I've recently started.

Looks like there's no problem. Alternate day fasting improves exercise results and even improves strength on its own. (In mice!)
I fasted today (just ate breakfast) and did an evening session on an exercise bike. It was no harder than usual.
I had a couple of really unpleasant moments when I felt I had to eat, but they lasted just seconds. Apart from that I felt fine.
As long as I don't sleepwalk tonight and raid the fridge, I think I can handle this.

Commander Quan

When I do a prolonged fast >24 hours, my personal rule is to always have prepared food with me encase I need it. Hardly ever do i eat it but it does make it easier to know that it is there if I do. Never is the goal to starve yourself. Fasting does put a lot of stress on your body, and any added mental anguish on top of that is counter productive.

Looks like there's no problem. Alternate day fasting improves exercise results and even improves strength on its own. (In mice!)
I fasted today (just ate breakfast) and did an evening session on an exercise bike. It was no harder than usual.
I had a couple of really unpleasant moments when I felt I had to eat, but they lasted just seconds. Apart from that I felt fine.
As long as I don't sleepwalk tonight and raid the fridge, I think I can handle this.

I am weary of results from studies performed with mice and applying that to humans. The results usually work with people too, but maybe not with the same regime as with mice. It is somewhat clear that fasting does help with recovery from exercise as HGH levels rise and the body is allowed time to repair damaged cells. The best way to exercise while fasting is to keep a detailed journal of eating, exercise and feelings during the day/exercise so you can track what works for you. I'm not that scientific but I do realize the benefits of such recordings.

The best way to exercise while fasting is to keep a detailed journal of eating, exercise and feelings during the day/exercise so you can track what works for you. I'm not that scientific but I do realize the benefits of such recordings.

I often use my heart rate monitor when I use the exercise bike. I can plot a graph from that and watch for anything unusual. Also I can add notes.
I read a web page saying the day after fasting is great for weight training. I'll try to find it.

Quick update: After my day of fasting I slept better than usual. I wasn't particularly hungry when I woke, and haven't eaten too much today.

When I do a prolonged fast >24 hours, my personal rule is to always have prepared food with me encase I need it. Hardly ever do i eat it but it does make it easier to know that it is there if I do. Never is the goal to starve yourself. Fasting does put a lot of stress on your body, and any added mental anguish on top of that is counter productive.
That sounds like the newly reformed non-smoker keeping one cigarette on hand as a security blanket. Whatever works, sounds like a good plan.

I've done 4 fasting days on the modified ADF plan (on alternate days, only having breakfast.) I can't believe how easy it is. On the first day there were a couple of panic moments, but once you learn that hunger pangs go away quickly and won't hurt you, it's fine.
I think 2 things have been helping:

• Oat groats for breakfast. Keeps you feeling full for ages.
  • Going on an exercise bike for 30mins on the evening of fasting days. Hard exercise makes you forget about hunger and it seems to keep it away for an hour or 2.
Weight is dropping off noticeably, even at this early stage. I'm increasing what I have for breakfast on fasting days to slow this down!

I've done 4 fasting days on the modified ADF plan (on alternate days, only having breakfast.) I can't believe how easy it is. On the first day there were a couple of panic moments, but once you learn that hunger pangs go away quickly and won't hurt you, it's fine.
I think 2 things have been helping:

• Oat groats for breakfast. Keeps you feeling full for ages.
  • Going on an exercise bike for 30mins on the evening of fasting days. Hard exercise makes you forget about hunger and it seems to keep it away for an hour or 2.
Weight is dropping off noticeably, even at this early stage. I'm increasing what I have for breakfast on fasting days to slow this down!

Sounds do-able. I'll have to give this a try in hopes that it will cut that persistent belly flab.

Top Bottom