What's new

interested in a custom kamisori

Hi I'm interested in getting a custom blade. I finally decided to treat myself a little. I've been looking around for people who do this sort of thing and I found this website.

http://shavesmith.com/custom-straight-razors/

Does anyone have any experience with them? I want to know if I'm getting something good before I shell out a few hundred dollars.

I have no experience with shave smith, but I would definitely wait to hear feedback from others before purchasing from them, as that is not a name I hear come up very much at all in terms of custom straight razors. I'm no vet when it comes to straights so I might be wrong.

Another place you could look at is Portland Razor Co. They make kamisoris with a few customizations. Hand made in America.

Last edited:
Never heard of Shavesmith, but all that means is that I haven't heard of Shavesmith.
I am quite familiar with these custom razor craftsmen:
Brian Brown
Jerry Stark
Tim Zowada
Robert Williams

These guys make a world class product and perhaps you may wish to see what they have to offer.

I looked at Shavesmith, mostly on Esty or whatever that artsy auction site is called. Also some threads I think on the other shave forum if I remember correctly.

I just got my first Brian Brown semi-custom and I am impressed. He makes a quality product, but I don't know if he offers the traditional asymmetrical grind that Kent mentioned. BTW you should click on the link in Kent's signature he knows a bit about this subject.

The custom makers Acmemfg mentioned all have well established reputations are are worth looking at. Joe Edson is also a top razor maker, but I know he's booked till next year.

Good luck and let us know what you decided to do.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I looked at Shavesmith, mostly on Esty or whatever that artsy auction site is called. Also some threads I think on the other shave forum if I remember correctly.

I just got my first Brian Brown semi-custom and I am impressed. He makes a quality product, but I don't know if he offers the traditional asymmetrical grind that Kent mentioned. BTW you should click on the link in Kent's signature he knows a bit about this subject.

The custom makers Acmemfg mentioned all have well established reputations are are worth looking at. Joe Edson is also a top razor maker, but I know he's booked till next year.

Good luck and let us know what you decided to do.

My BB happens to be a traditionally ground kamisori. In Damascus!

My BB happens to be a traditionally ground kamisori. In Damascus!

Ah, so the amazing Mr Brown can do that too! Good to know. Nice stone too btw on that BB thread.

I think theres a few Williams kamisoris for sale via his retailer SRD. Not bespoke to your own design, but nonetheless in stock and for sale before the holiday season.

looking it up, he has about 1700+ sales, and about 300 5-star reviews. i have no direct experience but it leads me to believe that its a decent product. on esty he has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so i would say its pretty safe to purchase from him.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think most "real" razor makers will not disappoint. Making a traditional kamisori grind is a little different so be sure that they have made a few already.

Cédric Christ owner of Ali's Blades is the one you need.
He crafted 7 superb blades for my 7 days and is currently working on a new full hollow set
Best luck for your holly Graal quest

I have been working with Christopher for a few weeks now in designing a custom kamisori. I am nothing but pleased, he is wonderful to deal with and he has amazing vision. I gave him an idea and he did a ton of research on his own to help design the razor. It will be a while before it is ready but I have no doubt it will be truly stunning.

I just received a kamisori from Shave Smith and was very impressed. Well made and came shave ready to my standards. I would definitely consider purchasing from them again.

Never heard of Shavesmith, but all that means is that I haven't heard of Shavesmith.
I am quite familiar with these custom razor craftsmen:
Brian Brown
Jerry Stark
Tim Zowada
Robert Williams

These guys make a world class product and perhaps you may wish to see what they have to offer.
Do these craftsmen have websites? If they do, I would be happy to have them to check them out.

Cédric Christ owner of Ali's Blades is the one you need.
He crafted 7 superb blades for my 7 days and is currently working on a new full hollow set
Best luck for your holly Graal quest

I would certainly second Cedric's work he's one of the most talented Artisian razor makers out there, his grinds in my opinion are on another level to anything I've seen from many custom razors I have in for honing, he can produce a true full hollow grind now that's something that's not on offer from many custom makers and he actually forges his own blades.

Top Bottom